And so it begins ... (AT&T gotta go)

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
So....AT&T the owners of AT&T Wireless, DirecTV and Warner/HBO/Cinemax etc... have started their BS

HBO Goes Dark On Dish Network; Dish Rips AT&T For “Stacking The Deck”

DOJ slams AT&T-Time Warner merger amid HBO going dark on Dish

HBO and Cinemax went dark on Dish Network and Sling TV, and the carriage dispute quickly escalated into a sharp war of words, drawing the AT&T-Time Warner deal into the mix.

Dish Network accused AT&T of making “untenable demands,” which it said harm consumers, particularly in rural areas, and competing pay TV providers.

"Plain and simple, the merger created for AT&T immense power over consumers," said Andy LeCuyer, Dish senior vice president of programming, in a statement. "It seems AT&T is implementing a new strategy to shut off its recently acquired content from other distributors. This may be the first of many HBO blackouts for consumers across the country. AT&T no longer has incentive to come to an agreement on behalf of consumer choice; instead, it's been given the power to grab more money or steal away customers."

FREE DAILY NEWSLETTER

Like this story? Subscribe to FierceVideo!

The Video industry is an ever-changing world where big ideas come along daily. Cable, Media and Entertainment, Telco, and Tech companies rely on FierceVideo for the latest news, trends, and analysis on video creation and distribution, OTT delivery technologies, content licensing, and advertising strategies. Sign up today to get news and updates delivered to your inbox and read on the go.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
Dish said that AT&T is demanding that Dish pay for a guaranteed number of HBO subscribers. The company accused AT&T of trying to use increased HBO rates at Dish to subsidize free streaming services for its wireless subscribers and generally lower streaming service rates.

HBO responded by saying that in its more than 40 years of operation, it has always been able to reach agreements with distributors, but that Dish is being “extremely difficult” and is responding to good faith negotiations with “unreasonable terms.”

“Past behavior shows that removing services from their customers is becoming all too common a negotiating tactic for them. We hope the situation with Dish changes soon but, in the meantime, our valued customers should take advantage of the other ways to access an HBO subscription so they can continue to enjoy our acclaimed programming," HBO said.

Dish said that it would credit Dish Network and Sling TV subscribers for any time during which they don’t receive HBO or Cinemax.

The dispute between Dish and HBO isn’t necessarily surprising, as Dish has earned a reputation as a pay TV provider willing to engage in contentious carriage negotiations—which often result in channel blackouts—with broadcasters and programmers.

But Dish’s and AT&T’s rift goes a little deeper. Dish was one of the most vocal opponents of AT&T’s $85 billion acquisition of Time Warner.

RELATED: DOJ enlists testimony from Comcast, Charter, Dish to fight AT&T-Time Warner merger

The U.S. Justice Department challenged the merger in court earlier this year, but a federal judge ruled that the acquisition could continue as planned without any conditions.

The DOJ is appealing the decision and oral arguments in the appeal are scheduled to be heard on Dec. 6, 2018.

of course HBO gonna say they played nice, that was before they were owned by dish networks direct competition

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
i got dish network so it affects me.. i got at&t cell service so i wish that directv now allowed for more that 2 devices...once they improve their streaming im switching ... but until then they gotta go

you can add a 3rd stream for $5/month.

EDIT: ATT been on bullshyt. the streaming service is intriguing though.

Check this shyt out. If you want a BOGO phone deal, you gotta add a new line of cell service, new tv service AND new internet service. these nikkas want you to basically run them $500 a month.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
you can add a 3rd stream for $5/month.

EDIT: ATT been on bullshyt. the streaming service is intriguing though.

Check this shyt out. If you want a BOGO phone deal, you gotta add a new line of cell service, new tv service AND new internet service. these nikkas want you to basically run them $500 a month.

which is the same shyt as having everything separate.. I got 6 TVs with dish now... these limited streams gonna force me to watch TV as family like back in the days.. but seriously.. my main gripe is I cant watch TV on no damn 6 inch screen...I need a PS4 app or something...

my ATT cell is 300 with 6 phones and 2 tablets.. and my satellite is 250..
I would jump on the ATT new plan in a heartbeat.. approx. 350 total for both.. I'm still researching the advantages...

Watch TV brehs :mjlol:

problem is most of the time you need to subscribe to the channel to get access to the app/on demand stuff..

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
i got dish network so it affects me.. i got at&t cell service so i wish that directv now allowed for more that 2 devices...once they improve their streaming im switching ... but until then they gotta go

No i agree with you... At&t buying HBO and shyt having so much power under them is a clusterfukk waiting to happen...they overcharge for everything...:camby: The FCC was in bed with them when they was allowed to buy hbo and shyt other bullshyt... it's grown too powerful and out of control...

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I personally think the FCC/government has something against dish..

they allowed the SiriusXM merger but they didn't allow dish to buy directv (twice).
the lawsuit claiming dish dvr showed cant automatically skip commercial when watched (yeah they settled but still)

this was Dish's exact argument in why ATT should be allowed to buy them.. and ATT at least wait until AFTER the appeal to play dirty

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Funny story is in my time in industry I've walked one of their major factories and surprisingly they are a pretty damn good company :leon:

Ive always debated switching to them