Alien Isolation Is Underatted As Hell

darryl

Superstar
Daps
I seriously don't understand why this game didn't make more noise when it was released. Everything about this game was incredible. It has great replay value. I already beat it twice and plan on beating it again. The graphics we're stunning . The alien was terrifying cuz how smart it was. I mean it was a true survival horror game. Cat and mouse basically and I liked that. You felt totally defenseless against that alien.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
This was my game of the year for '14. I absolutely loved it. It didnt get the love it deserved for multiple reasons. It wasn't easily accessible to the casual gamer. Disregarding that the alien itself was more of a spontaneous artificial intelligence that didn't have set patrol paths that players could exploit until they hit the finish screen, a lot of people wanted to be a space marine and not an untrained civilian. Ripley was 135 pounds soaking wet and was an engineer. That won't appeal to the dude bros whom want to blow shyt up and be space Rambo. You couldn't kill the alien, you could only outsmart it and wound it. You had to play as if you were there to a degree. You had to be calculating with your progress and take it slow. That put off a lot of heads. The save system was also old school.

They were always 10 -15 minutes apart but if you were one who struggled with adapting to the cat & mouse mechanics of the gameplay, it could take you 40 minutes to reach a save station that was in fact only 10 minutes away from your present location. I didnt have that problem but I could see how it could be an issue with someone who struggled with progressing. You have to also remember the history of the games themselves being historically bad (Colonial Marines was so terrible that many folks swore off Alien franchise gaming.) There's also the fact that Survival Horror is a niche genre. Gamers don't prefer horror titles in general unless they're action oriented. Games like Resident Evil & Silent Hill were exceptions that came from a different era, because most survival horror games will never end up in more consoles than action RPG or adventure titles will today.

Still, I loved Isolation and I hate that there likely won't be a sequel anytine soon despite decent sales and the cliffhanger ending. My only complaint was the length of the game. I enjoy long games but they could have easily trimmed the fat here by cutting 6 - 8 hours off of the 20 - 25 hour run time in this one and the story would have only benefited from it. It wasn't quite tight enough midway through and a lot of the game felt like needless bloat & filler in the 3rd act. It's still a classic but it's far from perfect in its' pacing.

Last edited:

darryl

Superstar
Daps
This was my game of the year for '14. I absolutely loved it. It didnt get the love it deserved for multiple reasons. It wasn't easily accessible to the casual gamer. Disregarding that the alien itself was more of a spontaneous artificial intelligence that didn't have set patrol paths that players could exploit until they hit the finish screen, a lot of people wanted to be a space marine and not an untrained civilian. Ripley was 135 pounds soaking wet and was an engineer. That won't appeal to the dude bros whom want to blow shyt up and be space Rambo. You couldn't kill the alien, you could only outsmart it and wound it. You had to play as if you were there to a degree. You had to be calculating with your progress and take it slow. That put off a lot of heads. The save system was also old school.

They were always 10 -15 minutes apart but if you were one who struggled with adapting to the cat & mouse mechanics of the gameplay, it could take you 40 minutes to reach a save station that was in fact only 10 minutes away from your present location. I didnt have that problem but I could see how it could be an issue with someone who struggled with progressing. You have to also remember the history of the games themselves being historically bad (Colonial Marines was so terrible that many folks swore off Alien franchise gaming.) There's also the fact that Survival Horror is a niche genre. Gamers don't prefer horror titles in general unless they're action oriented. Games like Resident Evil & Silent Hill were exceptions that came from a different era, because most survival horror games will never end up in more consoles than action RPG or adventure titles will today.

Still, I loved Isolation and I hate that there likely won't be a sequel anytine soon despite decent sales and the cliffhanger ending. My onlucomplaints was the length of the game. I enjoy long games but they could have easily trimmed the fat here by cutting 6 - 8 hours off of the 20- 25 hour run time in this one and the stiry woukd have only benefited from it. It wasn't quite tight enough midway through and a lot of game felt like needless bloat & filler in the 3rd act. Still a classic but it's far from perfect in its' pacing.
Very well said. I totally agree with everything you said

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Still, I loved Isolation and I hate that there likely won't be a sequel anytine soon despite decent sales and the cliffhanger ending. My only complaint was the length of the game. I enjoy long games but they could have easily trimmed the fat here by cutting 6 - 8 hours off of the 20 - 25 hour run time in this one and the story would have only benefited from it. It wasn't quite tight enough midway through and a lot of the game felt like needless bloat & filler in the 3rd act. It's still a classic but it's far from perfect in its' pacing.
yep, my only complaint was that shyt dragged on at the end

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I want to give the game another shot.
I tried it a while back and felt the beginning was slow as hell and not enough of anything was happening.
On the other hand I liked Outlast a lot.

darryl

Superstar
Daps
I want to give the game another shot.
I tried it a while back and felt the beginning was slow as hell and not enough of anything was happening.
On the other hand I liked Outlast a lot.
Give it another shot bro. The atmosphere along makes it epic

Darth Nubian

I bought my first Ki from my baby momma brother
Daps
Reppin
The Black Star
I hated the flow of this game. You would make it to a place only to find out that a critical item that you need to advance was located near the area you just left. Most of the crafted items were useless on the harder difficulty levels as the alien would either ignore it or go check it out and immediately warp back to stalk your current location. The game is probably five only six hours long but having to always crouch walk through the ship doubles the play time.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who wants tonfeel defenseless?

Trash :camby:

I aint playing no game i cant fight back and gotta hide like a bytch bytch

Same reason people like to watch horror movies instead of action movies. Different types of games illicit different experiences when you play them