Advice on how to get a chest?

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
I see progress everywhere except this area. Do i need to bench? Pushups arent really my thing. I can feel the muscle but my ish still looks like a scoop of ice cream. Is that just a fat thing? 30-40 minutes of jumping rope and a brisk walk after has my abs showing but my chest just doesnt wanna shine. Im 6',184lbs.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
I see progress everywhere except this area. Do i need to bench? Pushups arent really my thing. I can feel the muscle but my ish still looks like a scoop of ice cream. Is that just a fat thing? 30-40 minutes of jumping rope and a brisk walk after has my abs showing but my chest just doesnt wanna shine. Im 6',184lbs.

What's your routine for each body part? How many sets and reps of each exercise are you doing?

You definitely need to be benching.

My chest routine usually looks like this

Barbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
Weighted Chest Dip
Barbell Incline Shoulder Raise

2 to 3 sets of 4 to 6 heavy reps

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
What's your routine for each body part? How many sets and reps of each exercise are you doing?

You definitely need to be benching.

My chest routine usually looks like this

Barbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
Weighted Chest Dip
Barbell Incline Shoulder Raise

2 to 3 sets of 4 to 6 heavy reps
I only use one 30 pound weight for curls and such. Arms, shoulders, obliques, etc. have made step progress. I normally do 3 sets of 12-15 reps (and then die on the last set). I think I should just get on the low rep wave. I also do sets of 15 pushups in between everything I do until I reach 120 but that's only 3 days a week. I mostly focus on cardio.

I used to have this problem. Just keep working at it. Any exercise that works the chest is good just do what you feel comfortable doing. I use mostly machines to define my chest. I never bench but i have a well defined chest now.

That's what my friends told me. I just get slightly frustrated when I don't see progress.

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
Stimulating your chest effectively can be difficult. Try arching your lower back when you're led on the bench as this will help push your chest high and help isolate it instead of the shoulders taking over. Also try and keep your elbows tucked in tight when you drop the dumbbell/bar (almost like an inverted row) instead of putting shoulders and arms ou beside you (this puts majority of stress and load on shoulders). Also try some eccentric training - I found my chest responded great to this.

Push ups/dips are also great. They work for me as I'm quite heavy and naturally not that strong so they're challenging exercises with only my bodyweight. Add weight if too easy.

Hit it 2-3 times a week for 60 mins a time and you're good.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
You don't "need" to bench. But, you can do alternatives like dumbbell bench, Cybex (or machine) bench press, military barbell press, military dumbbell press, Cybex (or machine) military press, dumbbell flys, pec deck (machine that simulates dumbbell flys), dips, incline barbell press, incline dumbbell press, decline barbell press, decline dumbbell press.

My suggestion is to set yourself long-term and short-term goals. If you choose to go with bench press, set a long term goal like doing 225 lbs for one rep in two years (this is an example, not actual). A short term goal might be bench pressing 135 lbs. for 10 reps in one year. As you reach each short-term goal, set another short term goal. One short term goal might be to bench press your weight for one rep. So that could be 180 or 185 lbs.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
You don't "need" to bench. But, you can do alternatives like dumbbell bench, Cybex (or machine) bench press, military barbell press, military dumbbell press, Cybex (or machine) military press, dumbbell flys, pec deck (machine that simulates dumbbell flys), dips, incline barbell press, incline dumbbell press, decline barbell press, decline dumbbell press.

My suggestion is to set yourself long-term and short-term goals. If you choose to go with bench press, set a long term goal like doing 225 lbs for one rep in two years (this is an example, not actual). A short term goal might be bench pressing 135 lbs. for 10 reps in one year. As you reach each short-term goal, set another short term goal. One short term goal might be to bench press your weight for one rep. So that could be 180 or 185 lbs.
Word. I need to get my journal started. I've just been trying to be as active as possible so I dont get discouraged. However, I think I'm definitely ready to set some goals.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Some type of bench/press up is needed breh. It's that simple. If you could do 150 press ups straight or bench 220lb, your chest would be pretty good.

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
For chest I hit

Decline

Incline (bb or db)

Dips

PecDeck/Chest Fly

Seen great progress with those exercises.

Also, to have a pronounced chest, it is important to have a strong back. This will keep your shoulder from slumping forward and keep your pecs started wider over your frame.

1 Arm Db Rows

Lat Pulldown

V-Bar Pulldown

T Bar Rows

Pull ups

All good exercises right there to help keep your back strong