Daps
Reppin
The H

Americans are still shopping. They’re just going to Walmart​

By Nathaniel Meyersohn, CNN
3 minute read
Updated 9:34 AM EDT, Thu August 15, 2024
57 comments

A Walmart Superstore in Secaucus, New Jersey, Thursday, July 11, 2024.

A Walmart Superstore in Secaucus, New Jersey, Thursday, July 11, 2024.
Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/AP

New YorkCNN —
Americans are cutting back on Disney parks, Big Macs and Starbucks coffee. But they keep shopping at Walmart.
Walmart’s US sales at stores open for at least one year increased 4.2% last quarter and its operating income surged 8.5% during the quarter. Walmart’s US digital sales are booming: They grew 22%.
The company raised its sales and profit guidance for the year, a sign it expects its strong growth to continue. Walmart’s (WMT) stock surged 7% during pre-market trading Thursday.

Walmart is America’s largest retailer and a gauge of consumer sentiment. The company reaches a broad swath of consumers, and its business is steady in most economic conditions.
But shoppers are looking for deals after years of higher prices and interest rates and now a slowing job market. Although inflation has fallen to its lowest level in three years, Americans are still paying more than they were for groceries, housing and many goods.
A customer inside a Starbucks coffee shop in New York, US, on Monday, Jan. 29, 2024.

Related articleStarbucks is struggling. So it hired fast food’s Mr. Fix-It

That has put Walmart in the sweet spot.
As customers have scoffed at $6 iced coffee at Starbucks, $15 Big Mac meals at McDonald’s and other items, they’re buying groceries, household essentials and other products at Walmart because they feel they are getting good value for their money.
“We aren’t experiencing a weaker consumer overall,” Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said on a call with analysts. “Customers from all income levels are looking for value and we have it.”

Groceries account for more than half of Walmart’s sales, and Walmart has benefited from its pricing advantage— Walmart’s prices are around 25% lower than traditional supermarkets, according to analyst comparisons.

Walmart said its overall prices at stores and Sam’s Club were down slightly from a year prior. It also temporarily dropped prices — known as “rollbacks” — on 7,200 select items. Walmart is not the only retailer cutting prices. Target, Walgreens and other chains are slashing prices too. These retailers are cutting prices to try to draw back customers.

Does the Coli agree?

Solomon Lurke

My Boys Dey Be Lurkin...
Daps
Reppin
The Shadows
I definitely remember the point we stopped going to Target and started hitting Walmart more. I won’t go past like 8-9 am unless it’s a neighborhood market but for sure a sign of life getting real.

Edit:
Definitely not getting produce or anything like that, but frozen stuff, certain seasonings, snacks, cleaning products and so on fasho.