A year later what is everyone’s honest opinions on Mario Odyssey?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
IMO it may be the best controlling game I’ve played. Graphics are top notch

I do think the repetitive moons and large number of them hurts the replayibilty which is always a 3D Mario strongpoint

It’s one of the highest reviewed games that doesn’t get the same amount of conversation of games with similar reviews, that may be due to the staleness of the genre and 3D Mario package

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'll be honest. My dukes didn't have much while I was coming up and my first system was actually the PlayStation with Crash and Spyro so I never had any attachment to the Mario franchise.

That being said I began to play Mario Kart and Smash Bros in my later teens with friends but have never played a full on Mario Bros or anything like that.

Just bought my first Nintendo system (Switch) that isn't completely handheld. Wondering if this is the game to try out.... Suggestions??

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
Not as good as Sonic Mania :mjpls:*throws up sega genesis gang signs*

But seriously Mario games kinda stagnated 15 years ago but nobody really talks about that

They aren't bad but just "above average" Odyssey felt like 'more of the same' came and went for me

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
The best thing way to describe this game is that it is pure fun. Honestly it is the most polished, fun and consistent game on the switch. (Although MK8D and Smash are very close is the regard) It also has the right amount of content where it isn't too much and overwhelming. I may have more hours in BOTW and Xenoblade 2 and those games are more of a challenge than Odyssey, but it is hard to recommend those games to people unless they really enjoy open world or JRPGS.

Really my only problem is the difficulty, although like any of the recent Mario game that last few levels will kick your ass if you are trying to get every moon. I am shocked DLC has been non-existent especially since how great the Splatoon and Xenoblade DLC has been.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Was never really impressed with the level designs. They didn't really feel all that inspired. The enemies and NPC's always felt very one dimensional as well. Don't think either things will ever elicit any nostalgia from me like previous Mario games still do.

It still kept my attention long enough to beat it, which is pretty rare for me these days though.

Last edited: