A New hellRaiser Movie Coming Out Brehs !!! Trailer Inside

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It seems like every horror series dies young or lives long enough to descend into the depths of direct-to-video trash. The Hellraiser movies, which began in 1987, achieved that transition in record time and have been disappointing horror buffs for several decades now. You know a horror franchise is in trouble when it sends its characters to outer space and Hellraiser did just that with its fourth film.

Anyway, the tenth film, Hellraiser: Judgment, arrives next month. As you’d expect, it’s going straight to Blu-ray, DVD, and VOD and the trailer makes it perfectly clear why.

I’m not going to stand here and wail about the mighty having fallen, because Hellraiser was only mighty for about two years. The original film, written and directed by horror novelist and artist Clive Barker, is an icky, gooey, slimy, bloody, gory little nightmare of a movie, a blend of religious horror and deranged fantasy that lingers in the back of the mind like a sick dream, something you’d be ashamed to talk about. That’s been the key to so much of Barker’s horror on the page – he operates from a place that feels genuinely inhuman and Hellraiser is one of the few film adaptations of his work that captures that.

(Bonus thought: the lead Cenobite, the demon who would later be named “Pinhead,” exists as a neutral force, albeit a hellish one, in the first movie. The decision to maneuver him into a starring role as the chief villain in the sequels remains an unfortunate and catastrophic decision that robs him of his casual, by-the-books terror. The first movie is very much about people, good and evil, who meddle in forces they do not understand and come face-to-face with monsters who obey a strict set of guidelines, petty human morals and ethics be damned. That’s so much more interesting than anything the later sequels cooked up.)

The first sequel came one year later in 1988 and while Hellbound: Hellraiser II isn’t nearly as good as the first film, it’s still a twisted and outrageous experience that swings for the fences in every possible way. There’s an ambition to it that’s lacking in part three. And part four. Maybe not the surprisingly solid part five, but certainly part six. And part seven. And part eight. And part nine.

Part ten, Hellraiser: Judgment, seems especially unambitious, looking like a Saw sequel with a supernatural element rather than a proper Hellraiser movie. Then again, “a proper Hellraiser movie” at this point is low-budget junk that vanishes straight to video because only a handful of people care about these movies anymore. So maybe it is a proper Hellraiser movie? Anyway, Judgment can’t possibly be worse than 2011’s Hellraiser: Revelations, a film that was literally produced on a microscopic budget so Dimension Films could hold on to the franchise rights as part of a plan to remake the original. Seven years later, they still haven’t remade the original.

Hellraiser: Judgment is written and directed by Gary J. Tunnicliffe and arrives on Blu-ray, DVD, and VOD on February 13, 2018. It looks bad. I know I’ll eventually see it because I’m an unhealthy person. Here’s the official synopsis:

The dreaded Pinhead returns in the next terrifying chapter of the classic Hellraiser series. Three detectives trying to stop a diabolical serial killer are sucked into a maze of otherworldly horror, where hellish denizens including the Auditor, the Assessor, and the Jury await to pass judgment.

Last edited:

Kid Dynamite

aka The Big Bonanza aka The Ebony Prince
Supporter
Daps
I actually like a couple of the sequels... Pinhead is like the Apocalypse of horror villains with his quotes.

This movie looks like shyt tho

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
They keep putting out low budget, direct-to-streaming "Hellraiser" movies because if too much time passes between movies the cinematic rights revert back to Clive Barker. So they're essentially just doing this to fukk him over. The long term plan is to reboot the series but it's never happened so they will keep doing this indefinitely.

Fred.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
They keep putting out low budget, direct-to-streaming "Hellraiser" movies because if too much time passes between movies the cinematic rights revert back to Clive Barker. So they're essentially just doing this to fukk him over. The long term plan is to reboot the series but it's never happened so they will keep doing this indefinitely

Fred.

The last couple of movies added Pinhead and became Hellraiser movies at the end to get more people to watch

• Dap
Reactions: hex

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
i think i have this already.
anyway...
everything after the 2nd one was TRASH!
and Hellraiser is probably in my top 10 movies.

"no tears please, its a waste of good suffering."

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The last couple of movies added Pinhead and became Hellraiser movies at the end to get more people to watch

shyt....the last 4 or 5. :mjlol:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Clive Barker dropped a definitive end to the "Hellraiser" universe with the book "The Scarlet Gospels"....it came out a couple years ago.

shyt was cool but his writing skills since the 90's have fallen off. It's a damn shame that instead of honing his skills at horror/fantasy he's spent the last 20+ years just kinda fukking around.

Fred.