A Neuroscientist Explains What Cutting Carbs Can Do to Your Brain

morris

Superstar
Daps
BY DACY KNIGHT
what-carbs-do-to-brain-251477-1520373997763-main.640x0c.jpg
Pinterest
PHOTO: STOCKSY
With each passing month, certain foods and fad diets come in and out of favor. One food that's been on the "bad" list for a while is bread—more specifically, gluten. "Today, as many as one in three Americans avoids gluten—a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye—thereby eliminating grains and cereals from the diet," notes Lisa Mosconi, Ph.D., an integrated nutrition health coach and associate director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. These numbers are staggering, and while only 1% of the population suffers from Celiac disease and approximately another 6% have other gluten sensitivities and should also avoid gluten, "for the other 93% of us, a gluten-free diet is not only unnecessary but can do more harm than good," warns Mosconi, who recently expounded on this topic on MindBodyGreen.

IS GLUTEN BAD FOR THE BRAIN?
Those living without gluten allergies avoid gluten for a number of reasons, but one has to do with scares over its effects on the brain. Mosconi says that as a neuroscientist with backgrounds in nuclear medicine (aka brain imaging) and nutrition, she's frequently asked whether gluten is bad for the brain and whether it should be avoided. "The short answer is: No, do not fear gluten," she assures. "From the point of view of those who rely on peer-reviewed science, there is no conclusive scientific evidence of a connection between gluten consumption and cognitive decline in dementia."

WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR BRAIN WHEN YOU CUT CARBS?
In fact, avoiding gluten if you don't need to can actually have more negative effects for your brain. "First off, the witch hunt against gluten has led many people to go on low-carb diets," Mosconi notes. "Since fiber comes mostly from grains (besides vegetables and legumes), low-carb diets can be alarmingly low in fiber as well." She explains that among the scientific community, "there is a strong consensus that a diet rich in carbohydrates and fiber is crucial for brain health and Alzheimer's prevention." Fiber deficiencies also harm our guts and subsequently our microbiome, which can also pose negative long-term effects on the brain and incite brain fog, confusion, and even anxiety.

WHAT HEALTHY CARBS SHOULD WE BE EATING?
Mosconi lists complex carbohydrates—such as whole grains, brown rice, oats, and sweet potatoes—as foods that provide a great number of health benefits, especially for the brain. Packed with brain-supportive nutrients like antioxidants, B vitamins, and minerals, it's not surprising that these high-fiber foods have been found to make up a great portion of the diets of individuals who have lived to 100 or older. For those who have Celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, Mosconi advises focussing on gluten-free grains like rice, amaranth, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, sorghum, and teff. Last but not least, vegetables and fruit are technically carbs, but they should be a hefty portion of your daily diet. Ultimately, Mosconi reminds us to spend less time figuring out what's wrong with one isolated nutrient—like gluten—and more time improving our overall diets with wholesome foods.

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Why are you reading this nonsense?

If you don't have an intolerance to gluten and you are watching what you eat in terms of net carbs then this shouldn't be of concern to you it's common sense really.

There is nothing wrong with eating carbs the problem is that the majority of humans are inactive so they cannot deplete their glycogen stores which in turn help greatly rid the body of it's trapped water weight through perspiration.

You could eat 200-400g net carbs all day everyday for the rest of your life but if you are doing nothing but sitting in your couch then driving to and from work with little to no exercise then you will retain the water weight it's simple physics.

For example look at any pro athlete especially ones that involve high cardio like (real British) footballers, runners (sprinters/marathoners) and swimmers etc. Look at the diets of Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps and Cristiano Ronaldo and you'll see one thing in common that they all consume carbs and loads of it too for fuel which they then deplete in the next day's training leading up to their event. I remember reading that Phelps ate anywhere from 8000-12000 calories on a daily basis when training and competing.

Essentially, the real culprit is being inactive more so than being gluten intolerant which is a real allergy and not one the masses have.

Basically food companies just wanna sell you expensively priced bread.

If you want to eat bread that bad and you have the allergy to gluten then just buy a flour that isn't wheat then bake it yourself, it's not rocket science.

I hate these stupid articles.

PaperEnterprise

It's the inner strength..
Daps
Reppin
New York
I've never done keto, low-carb, Beverly Hills, paleo, etc.
Two people I know who went on it lost a ton of weight and got thin. Then, when they got off the diet, they yo-yo'ed back and beyond. :flabbynsick:

I am on low carb diet. Lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks. Was 260, goal is 200. I am 6'2"

Those that lose the weight revert back to eating like shyt and overeat to stop weight loss...it gets tough when one reaches their goal.

I know what needs to happen 4 me to stay at 200

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Two people I know who went on it lost a ton of weight and got thin. Then, when they got off the diet, they yo-yo'ed back and beyond. :flabbynsick:
Yeah cuz those diets really aren't lifestyle diets for most people with families. It's cool to eat like that to lose the weight but you also have to be educated on how to eat for life, not just for a couple of months.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Yeah cuz those diets really aren't lifestyle diets for most people with families. It's cool to eat like that to lose the weight but you also have to be educated on how to eat for life, not just for a couple of months.
I'm not saying its awful, I just choose not to do it.
It works for some people though. I have another friend on it and he's skinny, but he was skinny to start out with. He went on paleo when he got deployed to afghanistan and came back even skinnier.

PaperEnterprise

It's the inner strength..
Daps
Reppin
New York

I do believe its easier to eat a low carb diet and when one does...it should automatically become a lifestyle change.

I eat 2 meals, one at 12 and one at 8pm.

I eat 4 eggs with half a chicken at noon.

I eat a steak and greens at 8pm.

I do not get hungry at all. I drink 100 oz of water daily and workout 2 times a week.

I do not wake up feeling tired, i do not crave sugar, i do not eat fried food and above all I sleep well. Last year i had severe insomnia due to some family issues.

Life is great. I am not pushing a low carb diet onto anyone, what works for me may not work for the next person. What I do know is that I will not eat sugary shyt and eat more than 50 carbs per day.

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
On Keto right now and dropped 25 lbs in 2 and a half weeks just from reducing my carbs.
If you cut out carbs but not sugar then you're a fool IMO....Sugar should be the first thing we all cut down on.
Refined sugar.