A Cable Drama About America's Current Situation

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Thinking about it I'm kind of surprised no one is trying to capture the current zeitgeist of the country. Are you? Politicians approval ratings are at an all time low across the board, Neo-Nazis coming out of the woodwork, severe income inequality, poisonous water, killer cops and youth presented with poor education, lots of distraction via social media and really not a lot of hope for the future.
Seems like subject matter someone would want to comment on artistically. Or is it too close to home right now and could outrage too many groups?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Why hasn't a studio made a black led television drama on par with shows like Game of Thrones in terms of money and prestige?
I mean we're 11% of the population, there's a built-in bias against it. The show I asked about would hopefully reflect society.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Cause people don't demand better quality art.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
won't be better than the News; 1 of the reasons this past House of Cards season was a let down, can't match up to the real life fukkery
Hmm . . . this may be a cause of why it isn't getting approval. Shyt changes at an exponential speed nowadays. By time something is written and pitched society has noticably changed.

Daps
it would have to be subtle & layered w/o going from a to b every scene & being preachy every 5 min. like that Trump impersonation show on cc, you would think that would be popular but i dont know anyone that watches that shyt. to me its too obvious & not something i would ever feel like watching. the movies & shows that have the best political messages imo are ones that are completely left field...like "being there"...an old guy thats pretty much braindead & repeats things he's seen on tv, all of a sudden he's around politicians & he fits right in...cause none of em knows jackshyt. he's every bit as qualified as them...

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
it would have to be subtle & layered w/o going from a to b every scene & being preachy every 5 min. like that Trump impersonation show on cc, you would think that would be popular but i dont know anyone that watches that shyt. to me its too obvious & not something i would ever feel like watching. the movies & shows that have the best political messages imo are ones that are completely left field...like "being there"...an old guy thats pretty much braindead & repeats things he's seen on tv, all of a sudden he's around politicians & he fits right in...cause none of em knows jackshyt. he's every bit as qualified as them...
It would take a genius effort to get it written and green it. Maybe even pitched as one thing when it actually is another.