9/7/12 - Chicago Braces For Teachers Strike.. 1st in 25yrs

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
#HOPELESSCHI :to:

Chicago braces for possible teachers' strike -- its first in 25 years - CNN.com

CNN) -- Chicago is bracing for a teachers' strike that could affect hundreds of thousands of students next week in the nation's third-largest school district.
Teachers and support staff set a walkout date for Monday, which would mark the first time they have gone on strike in 25 years.
"This is a difficult decision for all of us to make," said Karen Lewis, the union president . "But this is the only way to get the board's attention and show them we are serious about getting a fair contract which will give our students the resources they deserve."

If it happens, it will affect about 400,000 students, including some from neighborhoods struggling with crime and gang problems.
City officials scrambled to minimize the disruption by setting up 144 sites to provide a "safe environment, food and engaging activities" for students if the strike occurs.

"If the leadership of the Chicago Teachers Union chooses to strike, no one will be hurt more than our students, and we are prepared to offer a safety net for families who are not able to access alternative options for their students," said Jean-Claude Brizard, the school system chief executive.
Parents are urged to sign up students in advance to ensure those working at the sites are prepared.
Negotiations with union officials are ongoing with the hopes of averting a strike, Brizard said.

The Chicago Teachers Union said it filed unfair labor practice charges against the Chicago Public Schools this week.
The charges, filed with the state labor relations board, come after changes in working conditions, the union said Thursday.
Changes include new teacher evaluation procedures and the discontinuing of an annual pay increase, it said in a statement.
"Charges come five days before more than 29,000 CTU members are scheduled to walk off the job in demand of a fair labor contract," the union said in a statement. " If contract negotiations have not settled by midnight September 9th, all teachers, counselors, school nurses and other education professionals will go on the strike."

Both sides have not reached an agreement despite 10 months of negotiations.
"Labor talks have been productive on some fronts such as winning provisions for nursing mothers, ensuring textbooks will be available on day one, teachers will have access to functioning computers, and counselors and social workers will have appropriate, private work spaces," Lewis said. "But the bigger issues such as wages, job security and evaluations are on the table and the two sides remain far apart."
A strike will affect nearly 700 schools, according to Chicago Public Schools.

Ooh Marty

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere plottin
kayf.gif

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jesus Christ, some of these inner cities are approaching third world status FAST and it seems like no one gives a fukk. This should not be happening in a place like America but the apathy towards the poor and downtrodden lets it happen. Give those teachers whatever the fukk they want and keep these kids in school.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Jesus Christ, some of these inner cities are approaching third world status FAST and it seems like no one gives a fukk. This should not be happening in a place like America but the apathy towards the poor and downtrodden lets it happen. Give those teachers whatever the fukk they want and keep these kids in school.

real talk, if those in the mess don't care; why should anyone else?

anyone time someone bring sup chicago, you get a bunch of folks talkin bout how violence is everywhere; and we're mad; etc etc. they want the world to stay outta their culture, so i'll just watch 'em burn

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan

anyone time someone bring sup chicago, you get a bunch of folks talkin bout how violence is everywhere; and we're mad; etc etc. they want the world to stay outta their culture, so i'll just watch 'em burn

Aite since it's only a few of us on here dat ACTUALLY GREW UP AND LIVED/LIVE in Chicago, no matter how annoying it is, I feel i've got to constantly remind people. All dis violence and murder spiked when da Cabrini Green projects were tore down and da tenants where scattered across da city. A large majority of which who landed on da soufside. When i was growin up shyt wasn't nowhere NEAR as bad as i've heard since dat shyt went down. Once again it's only an issue in dem lil small remote locations. NOT CHICAGO AS A WHOLE.

Now as far as da teachers shyt, dey've been dealin wit dat shyt for a minute. I do know dat. Hopefully dat shyt can get resolved because da last thing dem public school kids need is to be at home and/or roamin da streets because school is closed.

But nikkas really need to develop some kind of perspective on what's really goin on. shyt is not on some New Jack City at all. :comeon:

wise prophet

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trips me out whenever I see Karen Lewis. Her husband used to be my homeroom teacher.

Sucks about the strike. Them kids gonna go wild.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

If these Chi nikkas really think this is okay then fukk em (not saying its all Chicago posters, I think most of ya'll know better than that or can clarify your thoughts at least) ; even if some of these old heads may be indifferent to their city and just wanna deflect blame, y'know there has got to be at least a few students still there who care and still have a shot at a decent future. So as long as there still some students in Chicago who care, there needs to be talk on how we can keep these schools open and give them the shot at a decent life they deserve .

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Trips me out whenever I see Karen Lewis. Her husband used to be my homeroom teacher.

Sucks about the strike. Them kids gonna go wild.

She is married? :gag: Anyway I dont know why ppl think the city if about to burn. LOL@thinking these knucklehead kids were going to school in the first place