9/27/24 ESPN: Sandy Ryan vs Mikaela Mayer (WBO Welterweight Title)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

NEW YORK CITY (Aug. 5, 2024) — If a trainer is like family, Sandy Ryan and Mikaela Mayer will soon play boxing’s version of “Family Feud.”

Ryan will defend her WBO welterweight world title against Mayer on Friday, Sept. 27, at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. And she will do so with a former Mayer confidant in her corner. Kay Koroma, who helped train Mayer from Olympic standout to professional world champion, will help train Ryan for this career-defining main event.

Two of boxing’s emerging uber-talents, Puerto Rican junior middleweight Xander Zayas and Brooklyn-born featherweight Bruce “Shu Shu” Carrington, will see action in separate 10-round televised features. Zayas will face Mexican contender Damian Sosa, while Carrington looks to turn away the upset-minded Sulaiman Segawa.

Ryan-Mayer, Zayas-Sosa, and Carrington-Segawa will be broadcast LIVE on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 p.m. PT.

Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Matchroom Boxing, ticket information will be released shortly.

“Mikaela Mayer always wants to fight the best, and Sandy Ryan is an elite welterweight. These are the two of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, and the winner will stake her claim as the preeminent 147-pounder,” said Top Rank Chairman Bob Arum. “Bruce Carrington and Xander Zayas are future superstars, and I look forward to seeing how they fare against the toughest opponents of their respective careers.”

Mayer (19-2, 5 KOs), a 2016 U.S. Olympian, jumped out to a 17-0 record to begin her pro career while winning a pair of junior lightweight world titles and becoming a pound-for-pound mainstay. The Los Angeles native returns to America after a four-fight run in England that included a debated 2022 split decision loss to Alycia Baumgardner in a bid for the undisputed junior lightweight title. Mayer won a pair of decisions in 2023 as she moved up in weight to prepare for a welterweight world title opportunity. In January, she lost a highly disputed split decision to IBF champion Natasha Jonas. While a Jonas rematch did not materialize, Mayer has another chance to become a two-weight world champion.

“After months of negotiations in every direction, I am thrilled that my team has pulled through for me and gotten me this fight. As several dates fell through in the UK, the last thing I expected was for my manager to call with an offer that ticked every box,” Mayer said. “My team not only secured me another title fight against the opponent I asked for, but I’m coming back to the U.S. with my Top Rank and ESPN family. I loved fighting in the UK over the past two years, but I have genuinely missed fighting in America. I’m ready to take Sandy Ryan’s WBO belt. AND NEW!”

Ryan (7-1-1, 3 KOs), from Derby, England, turned pro in 2021 after an accomplished amateur career that included a 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medal and a 2014 World Championships silver medal. Her lone defeat — a March 2022 split decision to Erica Farias — was avenged less than five months later with a unanimous decision triumph. Ryan picked up the vacant WBO title in April 2023 with a unanimous decision over Marie-Pier Houle. Following a highly controversial draw against Jessica McCaskill in a title unification tilt, Ryan notched her signature victory in March with a devastating fourth-round knockout over former two-division world champion Terri Harper.

Ryan said, “I’m excited to be returning to America and particularly fighting at MSG. It's the Mecca of Boxing and a venue that every champion dreams of competing in. I feel privileged to have been given this opportunity, and I want to thank Matchroom and Top Rank for coming together to make the fight. It's the perfect moment in my career, and I'm looking forward to successfully defending my world title. I can promise that on a level playing field, nobody is taking this belt from me.

“Mayer has had an awful lot to say about me and this fight, and I'm sure she will continue to do so, but I'm an athlete and a professional. I will let my boxing do my talking, and I will shine in that ring on September 27. Bring it on!”

Zayas (19-0, 12 KOs) has been ticketed for stardom since signing with Top Rank as a 16-year-old prodigy in 2019. The five-year pro has lived up to the billing thus far, as he’s captured a pair of regional titles while becoming a major New York City attraction. Zayas is 5-0 at Madison Square Garden, including his main event debut in June, which saw him beat former world champion Patrick Teixeira over 10 one-sided rounds. Sosa (25-2, 12 KOs), from Tijuana, Mexico, has won three in a row and is 3-0 when fighting on American soil. He won a clear points verdict over Clay Collard in 2021, prevailed via a 10-round decision over former Zayas foe Ronald Cruz the following year, and most recently shocked undefeated prospect Marques Valle by a split decision in April.

Zayas said, “In my last fight, I dominated a former world champion from start to finish, and now I'm ready to put on an even better performance for my people in New York on September 27. I'm motivated by the challenge of facing a Mexican warrior and excited to return to Madison Square Garden after all the love and great energy I received during Puerto Rican Day Parade Weekend."

Carrington (12-0, 8 KOs) is 5-0 with five knockouts at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. He saved some of his most highlight-worthy KOs for the hometown fans, including February’s fourth-round demolition of Bernard Torres. He made it five for five at The Theater in June with an eighth-round TKO over Brayan De Gracia. Segawa (17-4-1, 6 KOs), a native of Uganda who resides in Maryland, is an 11-year pro. His defeats have all come against then-unbeaten opposition, including a competitive 2018 decision to Abraham Nova. Segawa authored a career-defining victory in July, stunning WBC. No. 1 featherweight contender and former world title challenger Ruben Villa by unanimous decision over 10 rounds.

Carrington said, “I’m ready for all the champions in my division. Segawa is a speed bump, and he’s about to get run over in my hometown. The Shu Shu Era is just getting started.”

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
1 more fight after this, and I think Shu Shu Carrington is ready for a real step up fight. BUT

The guy he's facing next looks dangerous. He better not sleep on this guy

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

TDUBB

All Star
Daps
1 more fight after this, and I think Shu Shu Carrington is ready for a real step up fight. BUT

The guy he's facing next looks dangerous. He better not sleep on this guy

Great, so is he gonna call out Inoue for the 120,393th time after he wins? Or is he gonna prove his worth and fight champions instead tomato cans? He needs to fight Robeisy Ramirez, Lopez, or Nick Ball at least. Before clamining yourself the king.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
September 27: New Jersey Standout Vito Mielnicki Jr. & U.S. Olympian Tiger Johnson Added to Sandy Ryan-Mikaela Mayer Card
at The Theater at Madison Square Garden

Dominican contenders Rohan Polanco and Elvis Rodriguez are scheduled to return in separate bouts

Tickets on sale Wednesday, Aug. 21 at 12 p.m. ET via Ticketmaster.com
ADKq_NZ1IwwrUahOZnr6l5eMiuC1P6GimtHqJTsB5rY-f5x9LGwTpx5B-WQcrYBGg41pp1RBz-XYZXRnwWHoC-gPJa3Ouh-5XZnuzcqN1Lnv-dXqMkyGcol4_Jn6QWtj4EH-W58aSJtlilIYG8TMN0JDc7ILenEG7oE3hts=s0-d-e1-ft
NEW YORK CITY (Aug. 19, 2024) — The Garden State’s rising junior middleweight is ready to make some magic in his MSG debut.

Vito “White Magic” Mielnicki Jr. will return against once-beaten Romanian Daniel Buciuc in a 10-round battle on Friday, Sept. 27, at The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

Mielnicki-Buciuc joins a stacked ESPN+-streamed undercard headlined by the WBO welterweight title clash between reigning champ Sandy Ryan and former unified junior lightweight queen Mikaela Mayer.

In the 10-round junior middleweight co-feature, rising Puerto Rican contender Xander Zayas will take on Mexican contender Damian Sosa, and Brooklyn-born featherweight Bruce “Shu Shu” Carrington will open the ESPN-televised tripleheader in a 10-rounder versus Sulaiman Segawa.

Ryan-Mayer, Zayas-Sosa, and Carrington-Segawa will be broadcast LIVE on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 p.m. PT.

Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Matchroom Boxing, tickets go on sale Wednesday, Aug. 21 at 12 p.m. ET via Ticketmaster.com.

Mielnicki (19-1, 13 KOs), a four-time Junior National Golden Gloves champion, turned pro in July 2019 at just 17 years old, debuting on a Top Rank on ESPN card in Newark, New Jersey. That night, he registered a first-round knockout and went 5-0 before graduating high school in 2020. Despite a majority decision defeat to James Martin in his ninth fight, Mielnicki rebounded impressively, winning 10 consecutive bouts and claiming three regional titles. Now training in Houston with Ronnie Shields, Mielnicki began his 2024 campaign with a unanimous decision over Ronald Cruz in May before signing with Top Rank in June. In his last outing, he stopped Laszlo Toth in two rounds, with the fight officially ending via disqualification after Toth's corner entered the ring following a knockdown. Buciuc (13-1, 5 KOs) has won a pair of bouts since losing to Ermal Hadribeaj by decision in a bid for the WBC International junior middleweight title.

The ESPN+-streamed undercard will also feature the return of U.S. Olympian Tiger Johnson, who will step up in class to face Puerto Rico’s Yomar Alamo in an eight-round junior welterweight clash.

Johnson (13-0, 6 KOs) has made two appearances at The Theater this year, stopping Paulo Galdino in one in February before besting Tarik Zaina by decision in June. Alamo (22-2-1, 13 KOs) dropped eventual world champion Liam Paro in the first round before losing a split decision in December 2021. After a TKO loss to top contender Richardson Hitchins in November 2022, Alamo came back this year with victories over Adriano Porfirio Ramirez in February and Jayson Velez in July.

Two of the Dominican Republic’s top junior welterweight contenders will also see action in separate 10-rounders.

Rohan Polanco (13-0, 8 KOs), a Tokyo Olympian, will square off against Argentina’s Marcelino Lopez (37-4-1, 22 KOs). Polanco went 3-0 in 2023 after signing with Top Rank. He handed Zaina his first pro loss in March before a second-round stoppage of Luis Hernandez in June. Lopez enjoyed a five-fight knockout streak from 2017 to 2021, including a second-round stoppage against former interim junior welterweight champion Pablo Cesar Cano. He returned in 2023 with decision losses to Orestes Velazquez in March and Zaina in November.

Freddie Roach-trained puncher Elvis “The Dominican Kid” Rodriguez (16-1-1,13 KOs) will lock horns with Mexican American veteran Kendo Castañeda (21-6, 9 KOs). Rodriguez is on an impressive five-fight winning streak, including a decision over Joseph Adorno and a seventh-round TKO of former world champion Viktor Postol. Castañeda has faced the likes of Jose Zepeda, Josue Vargas, and Raul Curiel in a pro career spanning nearly 12 years.

Bantamweight prospect Floyd “Cashflow” Diaz (12-0, 3 KOs) will take on Mario Hernandez (12-4-1, 4 KOs) in an eight-rounder. Diaz tallied points verdicts over Edwin Rodriguez in March and Francisco Pedroza in June.

Top heavyweight prospect Ali Feliz (3-0, 2 KOs), from Danbury, Connecticut, will fight Rashad Coulter (5-4, 3 KOs) in a six-rounder.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA