80+ yr long Harvard study finds what actually makes people happy

Burned Verses

Superstar
Daps

That’s what inspired the long-running Harvard Study of Adult Development.

Starting in the 1930s, researchers tracked men from different neighborhoods in the Boston area over several decades, asking them to provide regular updates on their lives, including their current health, income, employment, and marital status. The men also filled out questionnaires and participated in interviews where they revealed their fears, hopes, disappointments, accomplishments, regrets, life satisfaction, and much more. This resulted in rich, in-depth data that researchers could use to assess how life circumstances, experiences, and attitudes affect well-being.

ADVERTISEMENTX

Meet the Greater Good Toolkit
From the GGSC to your bookshelf: 30 science-backed tools for well-being.

Findings from the study have been parsed over the years as patterns emerged. But now they’ve been put together into a book, The Good Life: Lessons From the World’s Longest Scientific Study of Happiness. Written by the study’s current director and associate director, Robert Waldinger and Marc Schulz, the book not only reveals what factors lead to a “good life,” but also why it’s never too late to nudge our own lives in a happier, healthier direction.

The keys to well-being​

It turns out the key to a long, healthy life isn’t necessarily obvious. “Contrary to what many people think, it’s not career achievement, or exercise, or a healthy diet,” write the authors—though those things matter, too, they add. Instead, “one thing continuously demonstrates its broad and enduring importance: Good relationships.”

How can the authors say this so definitively? After all, the study began with only white males in a select geographic area as participants (it’s since been broadened to include others). On the other hand, the authors can point to many other longitudinalstudies representing more diverse groups, all of which conclude the same thing: that human connections are important for healthy development and longevity.

“People who are more connected to family, to friends, and to community, are happier and physically healthier than people who are less well connected,” they write.

This is both good news and bad. It suggests a practical way to improve our lives—by nurturing our relationships, no matter how bad things are. But loneliness and disconnection seem to be rampant in society—in part, the authors suggest, because of a culture that pushes us toward going it alone and overachieving at the expense of our relationships. If we don’t understand what makes us happy, they argue, we may end up choosing unwisely—for example, pursuing high-salaried jobs that take us away from our communities.

Their book acts as a kind of course corrective, countering myths about the good life. They support their assertions with scientific findings from many sources, but also include life stories from the people involved in the Harvard study, sprinkled throughout the book. We learn that some men started out in life advantaged and acquired college degrees or great jobs, but they ended up lonely or dying prematurely. Meanwhile, other participants who’d faced more headwinds early in life fared well, finding a job that brought them meaning or a family life that helped them weather ups and downs.

People’s lives don’t always play out the same, of course. Many circumstances make it easier or harder to preserve our well-being—including whether we’ve suffered from the early loss of a parent, discrimination, child abuse, poverty, or illness. For example, Black Americans are more likely to die younger than white Americans because of the stresses of racism and poorer access to good health care. Yet having positive social ties still makes a difference in survival rates, say the authors, suggesting that relationships make us more resilient in the face of life’s hardships.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's ironic that you posted this article, OP...

Me & my lady just got off the 📱 talking about this topic.

We were discussing our situation and why it's working for us. We also discussed her sons and their situation and I was telling her that having a balanced life is the key to living a long and happy life.

It's also very important to have close relationships with people or at least minimize the drama and bs with people. Being anti-social is being unhealthy just like having certain vices, not exercising, etc.

If people are career driven, then cool. But, they gotta have those connections in order to move up.

At the end of the day, people gotta figure it out for themselves on what's most important for them...

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
I think that's obvious....I expected a bit more from a 80 year old Harvard study. You could give a college student some weed and a fridge full of snacks and they'd come to this conclusion within a day. :russ:

But they fail to address how the factors they list actually contribute to creating those "good relationships." Some of which are social standing, career achievement, exercise, health, beauty, etc. Those things all factor in to how we're viewed and accepted in society...not just now but even back in ancient times. Maintaining good relationships in a world filled with flawed people is a difficult task. That's why people become obsessive about these things. Often it's because they believe optimizing them will bring forth those positive relationships.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
A deeper assumption to make is good relationships give a person a reason to live and stay relatively healthy. I was taking pictures at a party 🎉 of lady that turned 70-something. They showed up and showed out. Family and friends. It was a plethora of older, healthy and active people who likely been friends with one another forever.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Family and Friends is what keeps me going. I’ve had many days where I realize how blessed I am and how much they all mean to me.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
The key to Good Relationships is

Mastering the art of talking to strangers and making worthwhile relationships with them. Those people give you the connections to achieve your goals

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
But they fail to address how the factors they list actually contribute to creating those "good relationships." Some of which are social standing, career achievement, exercise, health, beauty, etc. Those things all factor in to how we're viewed and accepted in society...not just now but even back in ancient times. Maintaining good relationships in a world filled with flawed people is a difficult task. That's why people become obsessive about these things. Often it's because they believe optimizing them will bring forth those positive relationships.
Social standing, career achievement, and beauty are not required for having good relationships. In fact, they could hinder one's ability to have good relationships, since it could make people wonder if someone is being friendly with them just to get something out of them.

They are not bad, and COULD help with someone's relationships. But they are not prerequisites nor necessarily correlated with one's ability to have good relationships.

I'd say being comfortable with one's self is probably the most important trait for having good relationships. That way, no matter someone's status, possessions, or looks they could be themselves and have honest and real relationships with likeminded people.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
Social standing, career achievement, and beauty are not required for having good relationships. In fact, they could hinder one's ability to have good relationships, since it could make people wonder if someone is being friendly with them just to get something out of them.

They are not bad, and COULD help with someone's relationships. But they are not prerequisites nor necessarily correlated with one's ability to have good relationships.

I'd say being comfortable with one's self is probably the most important trait for having good relationships. That way, no matter someone's status, possessions, or looks they could be themselves and have honest and real relationships with likeminded people.
I think I phrased myself poorly. They're not needed for good relationships, but people do factor these things in when determining how they'll treat you. People are more receptive to you if you have these things...meaning you'll have more potential and opportunity to build great relationships (if you have the proper intangibles)

There are plenty of poor, homeless people who are puritans at heart...but people aren't willing to connect and initiate that relationship with them

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Groundbreaking :whoo:

Most folks just want to pay their bills comfortably, work a satisfying job, and be in peace with their family. It ain't complicated.

An old school cat once told me all men need to be happy is to fukk good, work good, eat good, and not be stressed with drama.