patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Mbilli.jpg

QUEBEC CITY, Canada (May 28, 2024) — Two super middleweight sluggers are set to meet in the can’t-miss fistic blockbuster of the summer season.

Unbeaten, Montreal-based contender Christian “Solide” Mbilli will face three-time world title challenger Sergiy “The Technician” Derevyanchenko in the 10-round main event on Saturday, Aug. 17, at Videotron Centre in Quebec City, Canada.

Mbilli has knocked out 85 percent of his foes, while Derevyanchenko has never been stopped.

Promoted by Top Rank and Eye of the Tiger, Mbilli-Derevyanchenko will be broadcast live in the U.S. on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. Sky Sports will have coverage in the U.K. & Ireland.

“There are few fighters I enjoy watching more than Christian Mbilli, and I can’t wait to see him perform in front of the tremendous Quebec City fans,” said Top Rank Chairman Bob Arum. “That being said, he has a difficult task with Sergiy Derevyanchenko, one of the great action fighters in the sport. This will be a Fight of the Year contender for however long it lasts.”

“Derevyanchenko's achievements speak for themselves. This is a very dangerous fight, but extremely necessary for Christian Mbilli's progression. A victory is not only crucial for the continuation of his career but also for Quebec boxing, which, with a significant victory, would be in an excellent position to host important fights,” said Eye of the Tiger President Camille Estephan.

Mbilli (27-0, 23 KOs), a 2016 French Olympian, has been on a knockout rampage since turning pro in 2017. He won his first 13 fights via the short route and has maintained his power while stepping up the opposition. Mbilli knocked out former world title challenger Nadjib Mohammedi in 2022 and stopped Demond Nicholson the following year. He kicked off his 2024 campaign last Saturday with a 40-second stoppage of former British and Commonwealth super middleweight champion Mark Heffron. Mbilli is currently ranked in the top three by all major sanctioning organizations, including No. 1 by the WBC.

Mbilli said, "It's an honor to fight Sergiy Derevyanchenko. I've been hearing about him since I was 16, in the amateur ranks, where he defeated several Frenchmen. In the pros, he has only fought big names, so this will definitely be my biggest fight to date. I can't wait for it. It's going to be a war.”

Derevyanchenko (15-5, 10 KOs), a 2008 Olympian for Ukraine, won nearly 400 fights as an amateur. Now a 10-year professional, he fell short in three middleweight title opportunities, including a split decision defeat to Danny Jacobs in 2018 and a razor-thin unanimous decision loss to Gennadiy Golovkin the following year. Derevyanchenko moved up to super middleweight last year and lost to Jaime Munguia in a spirited Fight of the Year candidate. In April, he returned to the win column with a one-sided decision over Vaughn Alexander.

“I made the decision to move up to 168 to win a world title. During my entire career, I have always fought the best in the world, and on August 17, it will be no different,” Derevyanchenko said. “I’m fighting a tough opponent in Christian Mbilli, who’s ranked No. 1 in the WBC. If I win this fight, I expect to fight for a world title next, which has always been my ultimate goal. I expect August 17 to be a war and a Fight of the Year-type candidate, and I will be the winner.”

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEBEC CITY, Canada (June 18, 2024) — Heavyweight contenders Arslanbek “The Lion’” Makhmudov and Guido “The Gladiator” Vianello will do battle in a 10-rounder on Saturday, Aug. 17 at Videotron Centre in Quebec City, Canada.

The clash of 6-foot-6 behemoths will serve as the co-feature to the Christian Mbilli-Sergiy Derevyanchenko super middleweight main event.

Promoted by Top Rank and Eye of the Tiger, Mbilli-Derevyanchenko and Makhmudov-Vianello will be broadcast live in the U.S. on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. Sky Sports will have coverage in the U.K. & Ireland.

“Guido and Arslanbek are two huge heavyweight punchers who like to mix it up, and the winner will be in line for even bigger fights,” said Top Rank Chairman Bob Arum. “From the main event to the preliminary bouts, we have a sensational card in store for the fans in Quebec City.”

Makhmudov (19-1, 18 KOs) is hungrier than ever since recovering from a double fracture in his right hand sustained halfway through a loss to current heavyweight contender Agit Kabayel. In May, Makhumdov made a triumphant return when he sent Serbian giant Miljan Rovcanin out of the ring en route to a second-round stoppage. Makhmudov defeated Vianello in a World Series of Boxing fight in 2015, as Vianello was forced to retire in the fourth round due to an ear injury.

“Vianello is a tough fighter but also a very good fighter, as we saw in his last fight,” Makhmudov said. “This is an important step for me. I want to show that I am a top contender, and to get closer to my goal, I must prove that I’m better than this guy.”

Vianello (12-2-1, 10 KOs), a 2016 Olympian, opened his 2024 campaign in February with a first-round knockout of Moses Johnson in New York City. Less than two months after icing Johnson, he battled one of the division’s biggest punchers, Efe Ajagba, and was on the short end of a closely contested split decision.

“I’m ready to compete against the top heavyweights in the world. This is only the beginning of my journey,” Vianello said. “The fight with Arslanbek is exactly what I wanted at this point in my career, and I look forward to a great fight on August 17 in Quebec City.”

The ESPN+-streamed undercard includes:

Cuban super middleweight destroyer Osleys Iglesias (11-0, 10 KOs) returns following his one-round destruction of Evgeny Shvedenko earlier this month, already a leading candidate for Knockout of the Year.

On the undercard, combining the best talents from north and south of the border, Wilkens Mathieu (9-0, 6 KOs) and Leïla Beaudoin (11-1, 1 KO) will be back in front of their own in Quebec City. Thetford Mines native Thomas "The Ghost” Chabot (10-0, 8 KOs) will also be in action.

Two of Top Rank’s brightest prospects will appear on the bill in scheduled eight-rounders. Cleveland-born lightweight phenom Abdullah Mason (13-0, 11 KOs) and rising middleweight Jahi Tucker (11-1-1, 5 KOs) look to impress in their respective Canadian debuts.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Guido Vianello has a personal score to settle with Arslanbek Makhmudov​

guido-vianello_2020_10_13_084508.jpg

By Bernard Neequaye
Published Tue Aug 13, 2024, 08:30 AM EDT

Guido Vianello has a personal score to settle against Russia’s Arslanbek Makhmudov when they fight on Saturday (August 17).
Italy’s Vianello (12-2-1, 10 KOs) told BoxingScene that Makhmudov (19-1, 18 KOs) has been a familiar foe since they fought over a decade ago in the World Series of Boxing. Vianello will return to winning ways if he gets past the Russian in a heavyweight contest at Centre Videotron, Quebec City in Canada.
Vianello, 30, expects a slugfest against Makhmudov but is confident he will win it.
“I’m really happy to fight with Makhmudov because he’s the perfect opponent for me right now,” said Vianello. “Now I’m 30 and I feel ready to take a big step. I fought Makhmudov 10 years ago in an amateur fight. I was a baby then but now everything is different.”
Vianello was stopped in four rounds (the WSB bouts were always scheduled for five). “He’s strong, he has strong punches but I know I can do a lot more things than him,” the Italian commented. “I think that’s a perfect fight because we are different so I have to be focused all the time with him. But I know that I will win. I’ll win by KO in seven rounds.”
Vianello went the distance for the first time in his career against Nigeria’s Efe Ajagba last March in a 10-rounder. The Italian lost a split decision in the process, a fight he felt he nicked and a result to learn from.
“I’m really happy to be going into this fight in the best shape ever. So, my last fight for me was a test because I never fought in 10 rounds. It was very important for me because I learned a lot from that fight. For me, the fight was very close. I could win but I don’t care now. It’s the past, so you can’t change the past.”
Before losing to Ajagba, Vianello had one blemish on his pro career - a maiden loss to Jonathan Rice in January last year. South Carolina’s Rice blew Vianello away with an emphatic seventh round TKO victory after the Italian sustained a cut above his right eye.
On Saturday, Vianello will hope not to repeat those mistakes against Makhmudov. He’s had a great camp sparring the likes of MMA star Francis Ngannou of Cameroon and Nevada’s Michael Hunter. Prior to these sessions, Vianello camped in his native Italy in order to have a close proximity to the Olympic Games fighters in Paris.
“I started my training camp in Italy because there is the Olympics game in Paris. So many boxing teams came to Italy to train with the Italian boxing team. I went there for two weeks and I sparred with the Olympics heavyweights. So, I started with them.
“All the young guys, all very strong guys, so it was a great start for me. Then I moved here to Las Vegas because I had many sparring partners. This training camp was very hard because I did a lot of rounds in all sparring partner sessions.
“The gym has been a hell of a time. I’ve been training so hard every day. I know that Makhmudov is a strong guy so I did the hardest training camp ever.”
Makhmudov, 35, recorded 17 stoppages in his first 18 pro fights before losing to Germany’s Agit Kabayel last December in Saudi Arabia. Rated No. 11 by the WBC and No. 15 by the IBF, he stopped Miljan Rovcanin in two rounds on his return five months later.
But Vianello sounds unperturbed by his opponent’s record going into Saturday’s encounter.
“He’s strong and everyone knows but he didn’t fight with good boxers, he fought with just normal boxers. I think I’m totally different from them. He will not touch me many times.
Bernard Neequaye is a sports journalist with a specialty in boxing coverage. He wrote a boxing column titled “From The Ringside” in his native Ghana for years. He can be reached on X (formerly Twitter) at @BernardNeequaye, LinkedIn at Bernard Neequaye and through email at bernardneequaye@gmail.com.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
im actually looking forward to this card

main event
the HW co main which im sure whoever loses will prolly be let go from TR
iglesias vs agbeko
mason and tucker in showcase fights

this is decent matchmaking

Iglesias vs agbeko Looks to be fight of the night.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh

Can't wait till youngin starts headlining cards.

Them boys need a sandwich. Wish this was a 10 rounder. Good fight. Bob kinda cooking. Guy might be croaking soon the way he going lol..