5 Compelling Reasons Why Marriage Wasn't Meant to Be Monogamous

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
1. Marriage as we know it is a fairly recent invention.

In the history of marriage, the concept of marrying for love is a relatively new one; traditionally marriage was constructed as more of a business proposition of sorts, with each partner benefiting, usually socially, politically, or financially from the union. It wasn't until the 18th century Enlightenment that the idea of marrying for love became popular.

2. Doing it like they do on the discovery channel = not monogamous.

In her book, Laslocky points out that in the animal kingdom, species that are thought to be monogamous are actually, usually not. In fact, of the 4,000 mammals in the animal kingdom, she states that less than 3% are monogamous to start out-and that monogamy is often in appearance only. For instance, a pair of "lovebirds?" Well, usually one of `em is indulging another lovebird on the side.

3. Couples that reproduce together, stay together.

She goes on to explain that many "monogamous" mammals in the animal world, especially the lovebirds, practice "social monogamy"-that is, raising a family with one mate while enjoying a romantic rendezvous every now and then. Scientists conclude such behavior is helpful to ensuring survival of the species, as the males spread their seed around for all to enjoy while the females get the help they need to raise all those hatchlings. Which, as she points out, puts another whole meaning to that "Are You My Mother" book we all know and love, right?

4. Society rules?

Laslocky's book also cited a study that showed that fewer than half of all modern societies forbid extramarital relationships within a marriage; in fact, many cultures don't see affairs or flings as deal-breakers to a successful marriage.

5. To each his or her own.

A 20-year long study of 164 couples, half of whom were not monogamous found that the spouses reported no difference in their perceived happiness nor was the rate of divorce any higher in the "open" marriages.

However, in the end, I'm just not buying it..

While this all makes for an interesting conversation (especially if you drop these little tidbits to your husband while eating B.L.T. pizza with him, although a word of warning-he probably will choke on that piece of bacon), I have to say that I'm just not buying it. Sure, it may be "natural" in the animal world for mates to fool around on each other, but it's also "natural" for some animals to eat their own offspring. Obviously, we have all evolved a bit to overcome some of our primitive urges and instincts.

So, sorry Mother Nature, but I'm just going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
smashing another person while in a relationship :ahh:

your significant other smashing another person :scusthov:

It's as simple as that

muse

thats 2 kids! im out!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
chi sagittarii
You know that bullshyt saying about women wanting the privileges of men but treated like women or whatever stupid shyt, that same thing can be applied to humans and animals.

Man wants to bring up the argument of animals being polygamists but wouldnt want to hunt their own food or lick their ass clean or live in a cage. on top of that the argument can also be said that only 3% of animals sit down and watch tv or play video games, therefore humans shouldnt do it either

As for the 5th point, whats the fukking point of stepping out your marriage if you dont have a higher level of happiness compared to monogamous couples :what:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i dont think people are naturally supposed to find one person and be with them for the rest of their lives.

i think it makes society easier, its much more organized when a man doesnt just willy nilly spread his seed around, he cant take care of them all. animals dont have to worry about paying rent, health insurance, buying food and diapers, college etc.

the only reason two people should stay together is for happiness and stability. if your not stable your not happy and likewise if your not happy chances are you arent stable.

its not even a relationship thing. if two people have jobs and live together and they have a place they can go to that is safe and functional theres stability there. a lot of people with a roommate for multiple years fall under that category and they dont have the rigors that actual relationships have.

as far as marriage thats a business. its not free. divorce isnt free either. of course the gov wants you to get married. its also symbolic, giving a woman your name. it may be the final piece of the puzzle but it is what it is 2 people can love each other and share their life without marriage by law. but then again the business aspect, if you live with a broad for 50 years then she dies and her family comes and gets her shyt because theres no contract indicating you get anything people get fukked.

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
"Marriage wasn't meant to be monogamous"

Then what the hell is the point of you getting married, then? :what: Why not just be with/live with somebody until you're sick of them, then move on to the next one?

I have more of a problem with people like this getting married than gays getting married :snoop:......at least there's a chance the gays might actually TRY to make the monogamous relationship work. You got straight people out here acting like marriage is supposed to be some swinger shyt :why:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
whoever wrote that is a moron. animals dont have to worry about sexually transmitted diseases. and the consequences of having an unexpected / unwanted child, in the human world, is quite severe.