2024 UPDATE!! Altman: prepare for AI to be "uncomfortable" 33% US jobs gone..SKYNET, AI medical advances? BASIC INCOME? 1st AI MOVIE! AI MAYOR!!

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
one thing i read recently described how keynes predicted most people wouldnt need to work by the end of the century because of the rate at which technology increased.
what i read described how he wasnt really incorrect - agricultural and industrial jobs declined at the rate he expected. what he did not expect or predict was that our economic systems would create as many new jobs as they did. most of these jobs are redundant and high numbers of people believe their jobs actually contribute nothing meaningful to the world.
our economy is based on the idea that you need to work and make money to be a valuable part of society. it will continue to come up with new bullshyt jobs we dont really need as long as this value is in place.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
one thing i read recently described how keynes predicted most people wouldnt need to work by the end of the century because of the rate at which technology increased.
what i read described how he wasnt really incorrect - agricultural and industrial jobs declined at the rate he expected. what he did not expect or predict was that our economic systems would create as many new jobs as they did. most of these jobs are redundant and high numbers of people believe their jobs actually contribute nothing meaningful to the world.
our economy is based on the idea that you need to work and make money to be a valuable part of society. it will continue to come up with new bullshyt jobs we dont really need as long as this value is in place.
Unemployment is linked to negative outcomes like depression and crime. It's nice to think freeing people of work would enable them to pursue nobler endeavors but reality doesn't jive with that.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Unemployment is linked to negative outcomes like depression and crime. It's nice to think freeing people of work would enable them to pursue nobler endeavors but reality doesn't jive with that.

I've seen the correlations drawn, never seen someone go out on the limb of saying Unemployment is actually causal though. Too many variables involved I'd guess.

• Dap
Reactions: 19-

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
is unemployment linked to that though, or is the economic anxiety and struggle unemployment brings for us the reason thats the case?

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
  • Dap
Reactions: 19-

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
because they don't have money, i don't think it's because they don't have "the dignity of having a job"
I think people generally don't do productive things with idle time. Look at all the shyt the average person does in their free time. Alcohol, obsessing over professional sports, excessive eating, social media... it's not realistic to think more free time would yield better outcomes

Rich people with a lot of free time generally don't do a lot either... look at all the rich drug addicts.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think people generally don't do productive things with idle time. Look at all the shyt the average person does in their free time. Alcohol, obsessing over professional sports, excessive eating, social media... it's not realistic to think more free time would yield better outcomes

Rich people with a lot of free time generally don't do a lot either... look at all the rich drug addicts.

Yes but that's because the rest of their day is spent working, and then when they get home they probably sit there stewing all angry about how much they hate work/colleagues etc.

But I see what you're trying to say. The system definitely hasn't been fully developed. Perhaps there will be some sort of volunteer/work component? Who knows.

The one thing we DO know is that technology's march is inexorable. You can hope to contain it for a short while, but eventually it will be let loose.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yes but that's because the rest of their day is spent working, and then when they get home they probably sit there stewing all angry about how much they hate work/colleagues etc.

But I see what you're trying to say. The system definitely hasn't been fully developed. Perhaps there will be some sort of volunteer/work component? Who knows.

The one thing we DO know is that technology's march is inexorable. You can hope to contain it for a short while, but eventually it will be let loose.
People will always find things to be angry about. If it's not work it's something else. Hell I know people who have great jobs who are angry about shyt all the time. It's just human nature. Any system that replaces what we have would need to account for that and the root causes. There are a lot of legitimate things people are angry about.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
People will always find things to be angry about. If it's not work it's something else. Hell I know people who have great jobs who are angry about shyt all the time. It's just human nature. Any system that replaces what we have would need to account for that and the root causes. There are a lot of legitimate things people are angry about.
have to figure out how to make life more purpose driven...

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Amazon is reportedly considering opening as many as 3,000 cashierless stores by 2021

Amazon is reportedly planning to open 3,000 of its cashierless stores by 2021, Bloomberg said on Wednesday, planning a major push into retail as it continues to scale its online platform.

The e-commerce giant currently has three locations open in Seattle, where Amazon is headquartered, and just this past week opened a location in Chicago. The automated grocery stores promise "no lines, no checkouts, no registers." Customers simply scan their Amazon Go apps as they walk into the spaces — which are roughly 2,000 square feet in size — pick up whatever they want, and walk out.

A representative from Amazon didn't immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

Shares of retailers including CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target and Kroger moved sharply lower Wednesday afternoon following Bloomberg's report.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I never understood this argument. The market might change but jobs aren't disappearing. We're essentially at full employment and we're trucking in illegal immigrants to fill in the gaps. Where are all the lost jobs and steadily rising unemployment since the dawn of the industrial, computer, and information ages where we were all told some new fangled invention was going to put people out on the streets?

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never understood this argument. The market might change but jobs aren't disappearing. We're essentially at full employment and we're trucking in illegal immigrants to fill in the gaps. Where are all the lost jobs and steadily rising unemployment since the dawn of the industrial, computer, and information ages where we were all told some new fangled invention was going to put people out on the streets?

Breh we haven’t yet been exposed to the consequences. My opinion is that the companies and the government realize they havent yet come up with a plan/policy to manage the fallout. If the fast food/banking industries really wanted to - they could drastically increase their use of automation and literally millions of people would immediately lose their jobs.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The Automation Readiness Index 2018 | Supported by ABB

Here is a pretty good update on this issue.

Also, their are solutions to this problem through policy if you look at the Jones Act and imagine that being in place for retail businesses or they could create a cap and trade market for automation where certain quotas for human workers have to exist or taxes kick in.

The problem is it would require government to not be complete sluts to big business ventures to put in place this level or protectionism policies but we all know the Republicans will start yelling about the market and complete ignore how Keynesian politics is needed to keep people employed.