2024 UPDATE!! Altman: prepare for AI to be "uncomfortable" 33% US jobs gone..SKYNET, AI medical advances? BASIC INCOME? 1st AI MOVIE! AI MAYOR!!

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:wow:

People are so fukking asleep brehs.

Any job that requires someone to write anything for an EXTERNAL audience is in grave danger. Most people nowadays, even college grads, can't write for shyt. People in sales/advertising/marketing/branding/quality control are going to get fukked. Take 15 minutes and read the articles on your local news stations website. Pure garbage. If the story has even the slightest chance for confusion/complication (for instance any incident involving multiple people/perspectives) it simply cannot be trusted until days or weeks later when the full story emerges Anyone working in local news, tv or written, is in grave danger.

And it does this INSTANTLY. Let's say you hire someone to write up the content for your company's website. Nowadays the typical consultant is going to waste your time padding their hours. They're going to promise a 1week turnaround, then send you an email at 7pm on the day they were supposed to send you the draft talking about how crazy busy they were, or how _______ came up and to give them another couple of days blah blah and then they'll ghost you for two weeks, and when you ask them wtf is going on they finally send something. And it's going to be garbage.

ChatGPT replies in seconds. For pennies. Churns out full on paragraphs/pages of content that is more trustworthy, organized and understandable than most people - not to mention grammatically correct.

No it's not perfect. And if you're a savvy reader you can pick up certain cues that suggest it's being written by AI. But most people aren't that smart and even if they are they won't care, because it will still save them 95% on cost and time.

And as it's usage increases it will become exponentially better at mimicking human language.

All those billions being invested will lead to the ability to change settings for your desired writing style. Flowery, highly stylized descriptive or dry, matter of fact and technical language?

This very second it's digesting every single written word by every single published author, from Plato to James Baldwin to Shakespeare to the dude who still updates the geocities website he created in 1994. It's learning the word usage, language patterns, tone - all historically accurate.

If you're reading this you better jump in with whatever money you have available or can acquire through borrowing/begging once this company goes public. You're not going to get anywhere near IPO price but it won't matter just buy it.

Every household WILL have an account, similar to how everyone uses Google.

ChatGPT, I want to sell my house. I need an ad, no more than 10 lines, written in a way to attract institutional/corporate rather than residential purchasers.

ChatGPT, my child was bullied for the 3rd time on the school bus. I need a very strongly written letter, citing relevant anti bullying statutes, and the Code of Conduct for both Smith Country Public School District and Maple Park Elementary School.

ChatGPT, I need a developmentally appropriate behavioral chart for my kids ages 6, 8 and 11.

ChatGPT, I need an accountability partner for the day. These are the tasks I have to complete.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

:wow:

People are so fukking asleep brehs.

Any job that requires someone to write anything for an EXTERNAL audience is in grave danger. Most people nowadays, even college grads, can't write for shyt. People in sales/advertising/marketing/branding/quality control are going to get fukked. Take 15 minutes and read the articles on your local news stations website. Pure garbage. If the story has even the slightest chance for confusion/complication (for instance any incident involving multiple people/perspectives) it simply cannot be trusted until days or weeks later when the full story emerges Anyone working in local news, tv or written, is in grave danger.

And it does this INSTANTLY. Let's say you hire someone to write up the content for your company's website. Nowadays the typical consultant is going to waste your time padding their hours. They're going to promise a 1week turnaround, then send you an email at 7pm on the day they were supposed to send you the draft talking about how crazy busy they were, or how _______ came up and to give them another couple of days blah blah and then they'll ghost you for two weeks, and when you ask them wtf is going on they finally send something. And it's going to be garbage.

ChatGPT replies in seconds. For pennies. Churns out full on paragraphs/pages of content that is more trustworthy, organized and understandable than most people - not to mention grammatically correct.

No it's not perfect. And if you're a savvy reader you can pick up certain cues that suggest it's being written by AI. But most people aren't that smart and even if they are they won't care, because it will still save them 95% on cost and time.

And as it's usage increases it will become exponentially better at mimicking human language.

All those billions being invested will lead to the ability to change settings for your desired writing style. Flowery, highly stylized descriptive or dry, matter of fact and technical language?

This very second it's digesting every single written word by every single published author, from Plato to James Baldwin to Shakespeare to the dude who still updates the geocities website he created in 1994. It's learning the word usage, language patterns, tone - all historically accurate.

If you're reading this you better jump in with whatever money you have available or can acquire through borrowing/begging once this company goes public. You're not going to get anywhere near IPO price but it won't matter just buy it.

ChatGPT, I want to sell my house. I need an ad, no more than 10 lines, written in a way to attract institutional/corporate rather than residential purchasers.

ChatGPT, my child was bullied for the 3rd time on the school bus. I need a very strongly written letter, citing relevant anti bullying statutes, and the Code of Conduct for both Smith Country Public School District and Maple Park Elementary School.

ChatGPT, I need a developmentally appropriate behavioral chart for my kids ages 6, 8 and 11.

ChatGPT, I need an accountability partner for the day. These are the tasks I have to complete.
this is just chat-gpt3 , I read chat-gpt4 can write actual programs and is leagues better than whats available to the public.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like I've lived through enough technologically revolutionary innovations for one lifetime. But no... Now they wanna drop AI on humanity. We have barely been able to digest what we have thus far.

The crazy part is that this is just the first flutter of the butterflies wings.

Once we began to truly harness some of the powers of AI, the timeline of advances/innovations will contract.

It took 50 years from the development of the first digital computer for them to be widely available and useful for non institutional/educational/research users.

One of the first modern CRAY supercomputers used by the Defense Dept for nuclear weapons and wargames research had almost 200,000 times the processing power of the computer that NASA used to guide the space mission to the Moon only 15 years prior. A modern cell phone has 5,000 times the processing power of that same CRAY.

In the next 25 years or so Virtual Reality systems will be not only unimaginably advanced, but just as affordable/accessible as cell phones or computers today.

At that point only time will tell what will happen to us.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I agree that ChatGPT will be used to replace shytty web/influencer content and bad office copy. I'm only responding to the parts I disagree with.

Take 15 minutes and read the articles on your local news stations website. Pure garbage. If the story has even the slightest chance for confusion/complication (for instance any incident involving multiple people/perspectives) it simply cannot be trusted until days or weeks later when the full story emerges Anyone working in local news, tv or written, is in grave danger.

How does this fit with the fact that ChatGPT can't produce new information and is inaccurate as hell on old information unless you feed it the exact thing you already know? It's not like local news is bloated with too many employees, they've all slashed already and part of the reason the writing is mediocre is because the same people are doing everything now. ChatGPT might improve their writing but it can't do their investigative reporting.

ChatGPT replies in seconds. For pennies. Churns out full on paragraphs/pages of content that is more trustworthy, organized and understandable than most people

I haven't seen any evidence that it's trustworthy outside of topics that are either opinion-based or very general and bland. When forced to get into specifics of any particular niche it starts making things up.

You're hyping the technology but then saying to co-sign this particular brand. Don't several corporations have the same tech already? So how do you know this is the one that will last and not just, say, the equivalent of Commodore or Myspace?

So we're flooded with letters containing made-up statutes.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This shyt is cheat mode for college students.

Yeah, this is where I see the biggest concerns. Not in terms of grades or whatever, but in terms of mental development and stunting creative processes. It's gonna be used most by the people who need most to actually learn how to think and write on their own. An entire generation is going to shortcut their learning process. Pretty soon you're going to have kids even in middle school having to make ethical decisions over whether they'll work hard and learn certain research, processing, organizational, and communication skills for themselves, or just take the easy way even if it stunts their development. And the ones who choose hard work will be at an initial disadvantage.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Yeah, this is where I see the biggest concerns. Not in terms of grades or whatever, but in terms of mental development and stunting creative processes. It's gonna be used most by the people who need most to actually learn how to think and write on their own. An entire generation is going to shortcut their learning process. Pretty soon you're going to have kids even in middle school having to make ethical decisions over whether they'll work hard and learn certain research, processing, organizational, and communication skills for themselves, or just take the easy way even if it stunts their development. And the ones who choose hard work will be at an initial disadvantage.
My stupid ass brother already using it for all his online classes for essays and exams.