2023-24 Contract Season

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I could be way off, but I almost feel like a lot of the ratings discourse comes from our need for validation.

it's not even a wrestling thing.. you often see fans of artists talking about/ celebrating record sales and chart positions instead of subjective shyt like quality, and really its just because the thing I like being mega successful validates my favorable opinion on it. its why you see people take negative opinions on things they like so personal. Nobody wants their opinion to feel undermined.

wrestling is no different

:yeshrug:

There's nothing that validates the "art" of pro wrestling and some people do view wrestling as art whether it's the in-ring psychology of a match or the development of characters and progression of stories. With movies or television there's The Oscars and The Emmys... you'll have people scoff at the idea that one of these comic book movies is "great" beyond the box office and other people will be like "such and such movie won 8 Academy Awards..."

What's the closest to that? The Wrestling Observer Awards? Lmaaoo.. it's too unorganized and too much drama involved for it to be viewed as "legit" .. all it does is fan the flames of the stan wars.

Real actors and actresses want to win an Oscar. They love to be recognized by their peers for their hard work.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
There's nothing that validates the "art" of pro wrestling and some people do view wrestling as art whether it's the in-ring psychology of a match or the development of characters and progression of stories. With movies or television there's The Oscars and The Emmys... you'll have people scoff at the idea that one of these comic book movies is "great" beyond the box office and other people will be like "such and such movie won 8 Academy Awards..."

What's the closest to that? The Wrestling Observer Awards? Lmaaoo.. it's too unorganized and too much drama involved for it to be viewed as "legit" .. all it does is fan the flames of the stan wars.

Real actors and actresses want to win an Oscar. They love to be recognized by their peers for their hard work.

I think that's the point though.

everyone wants their opinion to feel valid. Lets say a Drake fan LOVES his new album but its critically panned. People are trashing it left and right... but that album also happens to go gold in a week and has 10 songs occupying the billboard, whats metric do you think that Drake fan is gonna use to validate his opinion on that Drake album?

he's gonna immediately run to the chart and say "See"

that's just how this shyt goes. In sports, nikkas run to stats and championships. Can't really do that here because pro wrestling is scripted. its a tv show and an art form.. so immediately you see WWE fans run to numbers in an attempt validate their opinion and invalidate other peoples unfavorable opinion. on the other side of that you'll see fans of non WWE shows use stuff like observer awards, cage match ratings and other metrics to validate theirs..

but the overlying point is that its all unnecessary. if you like something, like it. if you don't, don't. we shouldn't even feel the need to do all that other shyt in an attempt to validate our opinion. If you think some weak ass Drake album is fire, that's fine. Shouldn't need to run to the charts to prove it to the next person. as long as you like it, ain't shyt else to talk about. nobody is gonna tell you to not like it.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
but the overlying point is that its all unnecessary. if you like something, like it. if you don't, don't. we shouldn't even feel the need to do all that other shyt in an attempt to validate our opinion. If you think some weak ass Drake album is fire, that's fine. Shouldn't need to run to the charts to prove it to the next person. as long as you like it, ain't shyt else to talk about. nobody is gonna tell you to not like it.

I think that really ramped up in hip-hop with the 50 Cent and Kanye thing and then Ye outsold 50 and it was chaos :lolbron:

Here's the thing though about what you're saying.... back in 2019... WWE was still making Waaaaaaaay more money in revenue obviously than AEW was but AEW was still known as the "better" wrestling product..

So I don't think finances and ratings mattered as much at that point... AEW was also killing NXT every week.

It wasn't until WWE actually got good again with Hunter at the helm that all of these narratives began poppin off.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
you see it!

when did this shyt start?

apart of me blames social media, but I also wonder if social media is just a byproduct of it. I feel like we're just in a reaction culture currently, where its like we almost seek out stuff to react to. and the reaction is always overblown in some way. when did this happen?
Social media, primarily Twitter where the bulk of the wrestling chatter occurs, has just been turned into one gigantic engagement farming platform where everyone has to have hot takes because they know people will reply due to mankind collectively being a bunch of fukking morons.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

A legitimate set of awards voted on by wrestlers would be near if it was ever doable but they are all a bunch of carny motherfukkers so it would be dead from day one.

If there was enough legitimate media to do media voted awards like the sports leagues do that could be interesting. Alas, wrestling media is 99.9% filled with a bunch of fukking moron mark podcasters.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Yeah

You gotta get on social media with the real sickos so you can watch these meltdowns in real time. shyt crazy

I saw some nikka call Dijak contract expiring a generational fumble, and it had thousand of likes

:dead:

And the tweet above it was about WWE selling out MSG tonight at 17k or something.. I almost replied “without Dijak?” but it felt mean spirited lol

:beli: And I'm a Dijak fan.

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
:beli: And I'm a Dijak fan.

That first tweet is from the former "Mojo Rawley." Was he at the show to confirm this?

A follow up by Dijak

Reading replies it seems most were before the show started so none it would have made TV. Just look at the time stamps. All in the 7:00 hour.

Last edited:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
That first tweet is from the former "Mojo Rawley." Was he at the show to confirm this?

A follow up by Dijak

Reading replies it seems most were before the show started so none it would have made TV. Just look at the time stamps. All in the 7:00 hour.

So when the show started they forgot all about him. :mjlol:

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
Dijak is giving Alex Riley energy on this one :heh:

(the guy with the sign later said it was about a CAW his friend made and not even about Riley :mjlol:)

4ENq_NnwI07j_Gwt5JssUfHLI52pf8z0jnOEbDaGZNU.jpg