2014 Report on Minorities in STEM

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
why would I read a paper from 5 years ago

:gucci:
Page 25 has techniques for silk screening t shirts. When you're done with your current stock you can sell these.

41eLbaKq%2BGL._SY450_.jpg

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I posted this based on the issues brought up in the Howard Med thread.
Medicine isn't under the umbrella of STEM, but I think it's close enough that the report would apply to it as well(to an extent).

Would like to know people's thoughts after reading it.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
The Coli
It has to be promoted more... and the obvious though, better family structure..... and for black boys, all male schools......

I'm in nursing and there are a lot more African/Asian/Hispanic than ados folks....

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
I posted this based on the issues brought up in the Howard Med thread.
Medicine isn't under the umbrella of STEM, but I think it's close enough that the report would apply to it as well(to an extent).

Would like to know people's thoughts after reading it.

Wouldn’t medicine fall under science?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Healthcare services is listed as a key industry under the STEM umbrella in that report.

And I just gotta say it's lazy as hell as the threadstarter to just drop a link. Then not even give your own brief synopsis or opinion of the report to at least help kick off any type of discussion

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Healthcare services is listed as a key industry under the STEM umbrella in that report.

The chart on page 3 cites information which was cited here...

where a distinction was drawn between healthcare services (STEM) and healthcare professionals.

"STEM is the third most education intense occupational cluster behind only HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL occupations and and education occupations."

I don't think that they are putting physicians/medical doctors in two categories.

And I just gotta say it's lazy as hell as the threadstarter to just drop a link. Then not even give your own brief synopsis or opinion of the report to at least help kick off any type of discussion

I disagree. You opted to read this thread based on the thread title. I do not work in a STEM or related field, so I wanted to encourage those who are from that background to weigh in first.
I posted it as an offshoot to a popular thread about declining African American presence at Howard Medical School. Perhaps I should have linked that thread to the OP.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
episode of the HBCU Digest Voices in Stem show with guest Sherrrell Dorsey of ThePlugDaily.com

Report Finds Significant Increase in Patents Produced by HBCUs
Filed in HBCUs on May 17, 2019

products-US-Patent-and-Trademark-Office-Seal.jpg
According to a recent report from ThePLUG, there has been a significant increase in the number of new patents created by scholars at historically Black colleges and universities.

The report shows that there are currently 30 HBCUs across the country that own patent rights. The Morehouse School of Medicine holds the most patents of any HBCU with 63 patents generated from 2000 to 2019. The next highest are Howard University with 53 patents, followed by Florida A&M University with 41 patents.

Interestingly, the number of patents produced by a HBCU does not correlate with that institution’s endowment. For example, the leading patent-producing school, the Morehouse School of Medicine, has an endowment of $56 million. In comparison, Spelman College in Atlanta has an endowment of $389 million but has only created eight patents in the last 40 years.

=====================================================================
*The titles of the video and the article don't match, because each is putting a different spin on the findings of the report.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
taken from the report mentioned in previous post

PATENTS BY HBCU (1969-2012)

1. Howard University – 18
  2. Morehouse School of Medicine – 17
  3. Florida A&M University – 16
  4. North Carolina A&T State University – 12
  5. Hampton University – 10