11 Black Men on What Democrats and Republicans Get Wrong About Their Lives

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
While President Biden enjoys strong support from Black voters, Donald Trump has chipped away at that crucial Democratic base: He won 12 percent of Black voters in the 2020 election and did especially well with Black men, winning 19 percent. Some pollsters think Mr. Trump may do even better in November. So for our latest Times Opinion focus group, we wanted to hear from Black men who like Mr. Trump to better understand why — including those who disliked him at first but changed their minds. This focus group was held last week, before the assassination attempt on Mr. Trump.

Some of the participants blamed the Democratic Party for expecting too little of Black Americans or treating them like victims. “I think they have underestimated how much Black men care about their family. We don’t want excuses as much as they think we want excuses,” said Rashad, a 40-year-old graphic designer from Pennsylvania. At the same time, the usual G.O.P. talk about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps was off-putting to some of the men, one of whom noted that many non-Black Americans were born into families that owned homes or enjoyed other privileges.

Delete or merge if this is a repost.

:dahell: :mjpls: :childplease::why::jbhmm: @ some of the responses.

AceMan

Superstar
Daps
This was somewhat enlightening...

Damn near disregarded the whole thing when ole boy suggested Vivek as a replacement for Trump though

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I read it, the majority of the people who they asked were idiots lol some of their rationalization was insane!

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Every dude on that panel fukks with Trump

I really feel like they're trying to push a narrative with Black men

Daps
who cares? if you don’t support kamala, you are a fukking c00n whose opinion should be ignored.

period.

:unimpressed:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Read this whenever it ran in the Times

interesting, but these views probably don't match overall black political views, but they do represent a lot of the average voters.

this is what people I know and see talk like on a daily basis. all races.

They don't talk about cute memes or which top level advisor has been sidelined, or what the polls in Arizona say. they talk like this.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

khaled.png

“Courageous.”
Khaled, 50, Pa., school principal

paul.png

“Unfiltered.”

Paul, 57, Ga., veteran

jd.png

“Respected.”

J.D., 50, Ariz., coach

Opinion

America In Focus

11 Black Men on What Democrats and Republicans Get Wrong About Their Lives​

While President Biden enjoys strong support from Black voters, Donald Trump has chipped away at that crucial Democratic base: He won 12 percent of Black voters in the 2020 election and did especially well with Black men, winning 19 percent. Some pollsters think Mr. Trump may do even better in November. So for our latest Times Opinion focus group, we wanted to hear from Black men who like Mr. Trump to better understand why — including those who disliked him at first but changed their minds. This focus group was held last week, before the assassination attempt on Mr. Trump.

Some of the participants blamed the Democratic Party for expecting too little of Black Americans or treating them like victims. “I think they have underestimated how much Black men care about their family. We don’t want excuses as much as they think we want excuses,” said Rashad, a 40-year-old graphic designer from Pennsylvania. At the same time, the usual G.O.P. talk about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps was off-putting to some of the men, one of whom noted that many non-Black Americans were born into families that owned homes or enjoyed other privileges.

Mr. Trump’s image as a celebrity businessman held real appeal for the men in our group. While some were turned off by his comments and policies early on, including his Muslim travel ban, they said they came around as they watched him and learned about his record in office. They appreciated what they saw as his economic know-how, low inflation during his term and his law-and-order stances. His support for federal funding for historically Black colleges and universities came up repeatedly as evidence that Mr. Trump wasn’t racist. His recent felony convictions made some of them like him more. But they also said that some of their friends and relatives sharply disagreed with them about Mr. Trump.

We have published focus groups with supporters of Mr. Biden as well. As for these 11 men and Mr. Biden, several participants said they were not really put off by his poor debate performance — but only because they felt that his cognitive condition and age have been common knowledge for some time. For these men, Mr. Trump is not just the more appealing choice but also the sole realistic option, given “how off track the president is mentally,” as one participant said.

Patrick Healy, Kristen Soltis Anderson and Adrian J. Rivera

Mr. Healy is the deputy Opinion editor. Ms. Soltis Anderson is a pollster. Mr. Rivera is an editorial assistant in Opinion.
Participants

aamir.png

Aamir 30, Pennsylvania, security

branden.png

Branden 46, Nevada, retail merchandiser

dylan.png

Dylan 31, Arizona, program manager

jd.png

J.D. 50, Arizona, coach

jeremy.png

Jeremy 34, Georgia, microbiologist

khaled.png

Khaled 50, Pennsylvania, school principal

marlon.png

Marlon 47, Georgia, florist

paul.png

Paul 57, Georgia, veteran

rashad.png

Rashad 40, Pennsylvania, graphic designer

samuel.png

Samuel 28, Arizona, data analyst

theodore.png

Theodore 36, Georgia, construction
Transcript

Moderator, Kristen Soltis Anderson

What would you say is most off track in America today?

paul.png

Paul, 57, Georgia, veteran

Leadership.

theodore.png

Theodore, 36, Georgia, construction

Morality.

khaled.png

Khaled, 50, Pennsylvania, school principal

The economy. I come from a big family, and I’m the breadwinner. I feel every single penny when I go to the market and when I gas up my car. Things aren’t as cheap as they used to be.

jeremy.png

Jeremy, 34, Georgia, microbiologist

The cult of progressivism.

jd.png

J.D., 50, Arizona, coach

Morality. We are a nation that has lost its way in terms of morals as it deals with God, as it deals with family — for money in a lot of cases.

And what’s one word to describe how you feel about the election in November?

paul.png

Curious.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

The cult of progressivism.

jd.png

J.D., 50, Arizona, coach

Morality. We are a nation that has lost its way in terms of morals as it deals with God, as it deals with family — for money in a lot of cases.

And what’s one word to describe how you feel about the election in November?
paul.png
[/URL]

Curious.

jeremy.png

Ambivalent.

rashad.png

Rashad, 40, Pennsylvania, graphic designer

Excited.

branden.png

Branden, 46, Nevada, retail merchandiser

Apprehensive.

samuel.png

Samuel, 28, Arizona, data analyst

Excited, too.

dylan.png

Dylan, 31, Arizona, program manager

Exhausted.

aamir.png

Aamir, 30, Pennsylvania, security

Hopeful.

khaled.png

Blah.

theodore.png

Optimistic.

marlon.png

Marlon, 47, Georgia, florist

Hopeless.

jd.png

J.D., 50, Arizona, coach

Illusion.

Tell me why you say “illusion.”

jd.png

J.D., 50, Arizona, coach

There are so many things going on that the election is a distraction from the reality of the things we need to do. It’s an illusion of hope in a particular person, that things are going to change.

rashad.png

I said I am excited because I think it’s time for change, and I think everybody’s aware of that.

marlon.png

The reason I said “hopeless” was, post-Covid, things seemed like they were going good for a while, but then people began to separate all over again, and then we got the economy going up and down, gas prices.

When you’re deciding how to vote, what’s the most important issue on your mind?

rashad.png

Leadership and competency. Like, if a person ain’t competent to run this country, then it doesn’t matter what the issue is; he’s going to fail at all issues.

theodore.png

Probably the border. It’s affected some people I know personally up in Philadelphia — family.

Tell me more about that.

theodore.png

My cousin is a schoolteacher, and her school, a private school, had to house some — I don’t know if they’re illegals, but I just know they were families that came from the border. She has four kids, and all her kids go to that same school. And none of these people had background checks or anything like that, so it was just a safety concern. I’m down here in Georgia, and I felt hopeless in a way that I couldn’t help her or be there for my little nieces and nephews.

branden.png

The most important thing on my mind is crime. I live in Las Vegas, and Nevada is one of the most dangerous states in the United States. Crime has jumped in Las Vegas, a lot of homelessness.

Is there an issue that you think the candidates are not focusing on enough?

khaled.png

Education. I’m a school leader. Coming out of Covid, our kids are behind, and nobody’s mentioning it. The only mention we got is that the National Education Association is on strike, and the current guy in the Oval Office — he didn’t want to break the picket lines.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
dylan.png

Health care is crucial because our nation overall, especially with the past two leaders, has such a misunderstanding of what health care means and really where the needs lie.

Moderator, Patrick Healy

I want to talk about the presidential race and your own political views. I wanted to know if you think you’ve been moving politically in a more conservative direction or in a more liberal direction or if you haven’t really noticed a difference.
jeremy.png

I see very progressive groupthink mind-sets, a very heavy emphasis on emotion, like on race relations or climate change. A lot of the time, it’s overcorrection — an acknowledgment of things that happened in the past and an unhealthy fixation with using that as a weapon, in terms of pushing through governmental policies.

dylan.png

I’m 31. I wrote my senior thesis paper on reparations, so I definitely saw myself as liberal-thinking. But then I learned more and more that that’s just kind of an identity more than it is really an ideal kind of mind-set.

khaled.png

This current election cycle — it’s surprising how far we’ve gone.

Moderator, Patrick Healy

What do you mean?

khaled.png

Just when you think that it can’t get any crazier, it’s just like, wow, I didn’t think they did that in America. I’ll give you a perfect example: the recent presidential debate. The thing that blows my mind is that people were actually surprised and are now sounding the alarms as if the news wasn’t talking about this for the last couple of years, about how bad and how off track the president is mentally.

Moderator, Patrick Healy

Which presidents do you think have done the most for Black Americans?

marlon.png

Within my lifetime, I guess Obama — not only for the fact that he’s the first minority president, but it just seemed like his whole campaign was “Things are going to change.” He did make certain progress, especially amongst minorities.

jd.png

J.D., 50, Arizona, coach

I would have to circle back to Kennedy, to be honest.

samuel.png

Samuel, 28, Arizona, data analyst

Obama.

branden.png

I would have to say Trump. He had the lowest unemployment numbers for Black Americans in a long time, so just by that figure alone, I would say Trump.

aamir.png

Obama brought a lot of trust from the community back into the office of the presidency.

jeremy.png

President Lincoln.

khaled.png

Trump, with what he did with the H.B.C.U.s, as far as making sure that there was money, as far as what he did with the ex-offenders.

rashad.png

In my lifetime, it would have to be Trump. H.B.C.U. financing, the things that people went through after Covid. I had Obama for a good chunk of my adult life. It was good for theatrics and getting people into politics, but what actually happened?

dylan.png

I’m going out on a limb. I would say Biden. I have some nephews, and Biden really has helped them to wake up from the illusion that Obama kind of created. We got to do a lot for ourselves.

theodore.png

In my lifetime, I’m going to say Trump, but before my lifetime, I have to say Roosevelt. Honestly, I think it’s a collaboration with him and Eleanor. I think my generation tries to look at Trump as, like, this racist guy or whatever. I don’t think Trump really cares about your race as to what you stand for and how you act, pretty much. It’s not the fact that you’re Black, you’re white, yellow or purple. It’s like, OK, when you step into public, how are you going to conduct yourself?

Moderator, Patrick Healy

What do you think Democrats understand the least about Black Americans and specifically Black men in America?

jeremy.png

The assumption that every Black male youth is an automatic victim due to either systemic racism or factors outside of their control.

rashad.png

I think they have underestimated how much Black men care about their family. We don’t want excuses as much as they think we want excuses. We want people to get out and work and do certain things. The value of the Black man in the household, when it comes to what our value is and how much we think we’re needed, I think that’s undervalued.

khaled.png

I think they’re confused. I think they went so far to try to do so many different things, and now there’s more of an independent thought with Black men in this country.

aamir.png

I don’t think it’s Black or white. It’s just job security, the economy, going to the grocery store and getting a bang for your buck. But there are issues that do strike the community more, like police brutality.

jd.png

J.D., 50, Arizona, coach

It’s the pandering to the Black race, thinking that we are looking for a handout and feeling sorry for us, when we’re capable and culpable. And I feel like the pandering of “all you broken-down people, you need us, and here we are; we’re going to help you” — it’s not a respectful tone or manner. It’s insulting, actually.

Moderator, Patrick Healy

What do you think that the Republicans understand least about Black Americans and particularly Black men in America today?