You can't deny in the 90s, there was an effort to have black faces on the screen

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
telling different stories and breaking down stereotypes. I wonder what happened?

220px-Crooklyn_poster.jpg
220px-Dead_presidents.jpg
220px-Hoodposter.jpg

220px-LoveJonesMovie.jpg
220px-Blade_movie.jpg
220px-Posse_poster.jpg

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't knock Tyler for serving his niche audience. But, I don't Ovastand, how he has his OWN

STUDIO, and don't give upcoming black writers or directors a shot to make something better than his flimsy stuff:patrice::yeshrug:

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly, the last funny black sitcom was That's So Raven:krs:

Don't sleep. I used to watched that late night when I was I still in college, and it used to have me :laff:

The Wire and Luther are the only two great black dramas I can think of that came out in this millenium. :to:

.../edit who knew Raven was a Cac00n all this time, tho:scust:

Last edited:

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
I don't knock Tyler for serving his niche audience. But, I don't understand how he has his own empire, and don't hire upcoming black writers or directors and give them a shot.

:what:

why would he hire people when he can do that shyt himself and keep all that money?

the fact he keeps all his shyt in house is why he's able to do all that shyt.

Black people need to stop looking for handouts from every black person who's done something.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
lol nikkas want "black" movies and "black" shows so bad. that's the problem.

if a show has an all white cast or mostly white cast, its just a show. not a white show. a show. even with latins.

but when there's nikkas involved, it gotta be thrown into a "black show" category like we a different species or somethin. when i use to watch stuff like keenan and kel, i never once thought of it as a black show. it was just a funny show breh.

get better writers, better directors, and maybe the shyt will change. all these "black shows" and "black films" are cliche bullshyt. they're terrible.

Kemyran

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Southern California

:what:

why would he hire people when he can do that shyt himself and keep all that money?

the fact he keeps all his shyt in house is why he's able to do all that shyt.

Black people need to stop looking for handouts from every black person who's done something.
I don't think it's necessarily "looking for a handout" but trying to get into an insular industry in which connections mean everything.

At this stage, there can't be 20 different Tyler Perry's out there making the kind of scratch he is. Sorry, but that's simply not a reality right now. But maybe later on there can be. Tyler knocked on every studio's door and got a "No" from every one of them until Lionsgate came along. Someone had to help him. Was that a handout?

Maybe he can be someone's "Lionsgate." That's not a handout, the work still has to be done. Every other race seems to do something to help their own but as soon as a black person "makes it" they don't look back. I'm not saying every black person has an obligation to help those that haven't made it. But this thread is a clear indicator that people of color are starving in the media landscape and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if a couple of those that have "made it" gave the dude that has knocked on every studio's door and gotten rejected with a quality project in hand said yes every now and then.