Yakuza 5 - PS3 - [Fall 2015] Digital release only - Game similar to Shenmue

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

Lost in the crush of pre and current E3 2015 news, SEGA quietly updated their Yakuza 5 page to reflect a Fall 2015 release window. Most European and North American fans of the series were optimistic that the reveal and nearby release would occur at the big conference, and perhaps even be accompanied by a Yakuza 0 announcement. For them, this is quite disappointing. No reason or official announcement explained the delay, from their previous Summer 2015 window.
This means it will be close to a full 3 years from the Japanese release and well into the life of the Playstation 4 console. The more pessimistic of fans, me, says that SEGA’s sales of the title will be pretty low for a last-gen title. The even more pessimistic of fans – and I’m starting to get there – will say that this works out for SEGA. Another poor sales outing in North America will allow them to finally, completely ignore fan’s requests for localization of Yakuza 5, Ishin, Kenshin and the newest title, Zero.
If Yakuza 5 hits that Fall 2015 window, remember this release outside of Japan is slated to be digital only.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Two questions, how is Yakuza compared to Sleeping dogs?

And do I need to play other yakuza to get this?
I never played sleeping dogs. I skipped right over it. Is it any good?

Yakuza plays exactly like Shenmue. The story style, the combat, the side jobs. Everything screams Shenmue and it does a lot of things better.

Do you have to play the previous ones? Not exactly, but it definitely helps. I personally jumped around in the series and didn't feel COMPLETELY lost. If you still have a ps3 these games can be found at most gamestops for about $10 a piece.

Like I said. If your a fan of Shenmue, I highly recommend this series.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I've owned nearly all the Yakuza games (except 2 and their off-shoots like the undead and Kenzen joints), yet sadly, never finished any of them. Hell, I've not even opened Yakuza 4, as I was still knee deep into Yakuza 3. THat's the thing about long ass games or games with so much extra content in them that unless you have eons of time and only play that game, then it's easy to get sidetracked or just discontinue playing them when other new games come out. That's what happened to me with the two Yakuza games I have played and many other RPGs. Plus, I play fighters heavily, so I need lots of time for them in order to stay competitive. This is great that this is coming out this year.

As for cats wondering about comparisons to Sleeping Dogs, they're quite different. Sleeping Dogs is moreso GTA ish as they're vehicles and that kinda story-style structure, but with a much better combat system than that and Yakuza games (I hope they make a sequel someday). Sleeping Dogs was a helluva sleeper hit of a game for sure (I'm even contemplating getting the PS4 version). It's the last/only open-world, sandbox game that I've actually even beaten since the original GTA3. I rarely finish open world games. I think I'll end up beating Witcher 3 tho. I really wish Sleeping Dogs got more sales, as it did a lot of things that GTA did, but much better, at least as far as the actual gameplay went. The story, set pieces and characters were really good too.

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Copped. Rockstar could crush the buildings of they copied this style of game with a fight engine similar to the Warriors.

Takuya is the ultimate sandbox beatumup

I think Rockstar would be better off copying Sleeping Dogs combat system tbh. I like better than Yakuza's as it feels much more fluid. Also, Sleeping Dogs doesn't have that random encounter, stop & load for combat sequence and locked off the arena during the fights that Yakuza has. I do hope they get rid of that system, as that's one of the few grips I have with the series. SD has a similar heat mode and using background environment for weapons and finishers, but was even more creative and lethal with theirs. Man, all this talk of Sleeping Dogs has me fiending to replay it now, lol. Might buy that joint this weekend.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I think Rockstar would be better off copying Sleeping Dogs combat system tbh. I like better than Yakuza's as it feels much more fluid. Also, Sleeping Dogs doesn't have that random encounter, stop & load for combat sequence and locked off the arena during the fights that Yakuza has. I do hope they get rid of that system, as that's one of the few grips I have with the series. SD has a similar heat mode and using background environment for weapons and finishers, but was even more creative and lethal with theirs. Man, all this talk of Sleeping Dogs has me fiending to replay it now, lol. Might buy that joint this weekend.
Warriors has better combat then sleeping dogs And was as fun as yakuzas. But I think they can do better then yakuzas with more imagination. Yakuzas has super moves. U can hit dudes with anything. it's fun