World map really upside down?

Mr swag

We Out Here
Daps
Reppin
The Well Respected Uptown,Virginia
I know the size difference on the maps are false like Africa being tiny but huge in real life.

I saw someone on here say that the world map is really upside down? Is there a link to this or is that not true?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Verify your source. :snoop:
We got satellites in space that can take pictures of earth now.

Middle-East-seen-from-space.jpg

Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. OP is probably talking about how the Mercator projection distorts the size of land masses. Land near the poles becomes enlarged and land near the equator shrinks. It was a map for navigators because it makes calculating the angles across longitudinal lines easy. The Winkel Tripel projection shows land masses more accurately relative to each other i.e. Africa is way bigger than Greenland.

Mercator:
mercator%20projection%20map.jpg

Winkel Tripel:

1280px-winkel_triple_projection_sw.jpg

2. North being right-side-up is just an arbitrary convention. There is no absolute right-side-up in space.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
There is no "right side up" in space. There is no "up" in space. All there is, is "over there" or "that way" You could have a map of the world on what we would consider it's side and it would still be right. If you want your mind blown google "galactic north pole"

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I know the size difference on the maps are false like Africa being tiny but huge in real life.

I saw someone on here say that the world map is really upside down? Is there a link to this or is that not true?
We are spining on an axis. Could the map have been printed upside down? Well, the north pole is on top of the globe, so in our north/south frame of mind, we put the north on top of the map. Scientists could have made the South Pole the North Pole and vice versa. That would have rearranged our map. Do I care? Not really. What we have works.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
We are spining on an axis. Could the map have been printed upside down? Well, the north pole is on top of the globe, so in our north/south frame of mind, we put the north on top of the map. Scientists could have made the South Pole the North Pole and vice versa. That would have rearranged our map. Do I care? Not really. What we have works.
Personally i prefer my axes to run perpendicular on my globes so that my "top of the world" changes at every moment.
:sas2: