Why do we (black people) often have disposition towards nature/hiking/camping?

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I recently watched the movie "Wild" with Reese Witherspoon (good movie by the way) and it led to an interesting discussion with some friends on why there aren't many of us who "seem" to enjoy the nature. I personally love nature and being outside. I believe the notion of blacks not liking nature plays in old stereotypes about us being easily spooked and cowardly. I've heard a lot of us play into these stereotypes by saying " its what white people do" , and "black people don't do shyt like that", as if acknowledging that we lack the desire for adventure that is innately present within every human being

I believe many of have a hidden desire to be adventurous and go out into nature but are held back by what we've come to accept as cultural norms. We as a people have historically had to live off the land, so any idea of us having a natural nature is nonsense. I truly believe as stated that because of the present cultural norm and stereotypes we've opted into, we believe embracing nature is something we aren't suppose to do.

What do you guys think?

121.jpg

superbnaturecornerwallpaper6773_1920x1080.jpg

hiking-2.jpg
2014_11_26_sherman_03.jpg

kav45

Banned
Daps
i recently seen someone on twitter say sitting in the park was for white people, and he got alot of rts

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
I recently watched the movie "Wild" with Reese Witherspoon (good movie by the way) and it led to an interesting discussion with some friends on why there aren't many of us who "seem" to enjoy the nature. I personally love nature and being outside. I believe the notion of blacks not liking nature plays in old stereotypes about us being easily spooked and cowardly. I've heard a lot of us play into these stereotypes by saying " its what white people do" , and "black people don't do shyt like that", as if acknowledging that we lack the desire for adventure that is innately present within every human being

I believe many of have a hidden desire to be adventurous and go out into nature but are held back by what we've come to accept as cultural norms. We as a people have historically had to live off the land, so any idea of us having a natural nature is nonsense. I truly believe as stated that because of the present cultural norm and stereotypes we've opted into, we believe embracing nature is something we aren't suppose to do.

What do you guys think?

121.jpg

superbnaturecornerwallpaper6773_1920x1080.jpg

hiking-2.jpg
2014_11_26_sherman_03.jpg

lots of peeps camp out.

http://www.naarva.com/

http://www.naarva.com/Naarva Regional Chapters.htm

NAARVA CHAPTERS NATIONWIDE!!

The NATIONAL AFRICAN AMERICAN RV'ers Association was founded to promote camping in recreational vehicles as a way of life and as another means for families to have fun. NAARVA Chapters provide members with the opportunities to use their coaches on monthly, weekend, or short trips and enables them meet and interact with other RV'ers that share common interests.

Audemar

Superstar
Daps
i recently seen someone on twitter say sitting in the park was for white people, and he got alot of rts
People love complaining about racial stereotypes, but still believe in them or willfully behave in ways that uphold them . I guess to some degree it's hard not to since we are condition to do so from a young age.