Who Had The Better Peak? MC Hammer Or Nelly?

THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• MC HAMMER

• NELLY

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Nelly I'd say, because he was never universally reviled.

Fred.

I wouldn't say universally, but yea I hear you.

that's why I initially had nelly ranked ahead of him.

notsoft convinced me to change it. but now, fred has me ready to put nelly back in front.:patrice:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
First let me give respect to Nelly. Great run but did he really have an impact? what trends did he actually start? And he didn't start the air force ones trend. air force ones were already in style. I'f im wrong, please correct me.

Hammer made it cool to dance again. Brought baggy pants in style. Own cartoon. Own doll. People still do the Mc Hammer aka now called the running man.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Only reason Hammer was universally reviled is because he was the 1st hip hop artist to actively go after pop success.

Nobody had a larger peek than Hammer commercially speaking until Em.

Yeah but the definition of peak wasn't really described in the OP. If we're talking strictly sales, it was Hammer. If we're talking over all, it was Nelly. KRS aside, Nelly never had the people turn against him like Hammer did.

Fred.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Nelly but only cuz he had cats like Hammer to pave the way. Hammer with the endorsements, merch, and crossover appeal got a lot of hate in the late 80's/early 90's, but by the 00's every rapper that had the opportunity followed that blueprint. Nelly benefitted from not having that pop success be a hindrance, it actually was a badge of honor that allowed him to sustain a run much longer than I expected from him.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Yeah but the definition of peak wasn't really described in the OP. If we're talking strictly sales, it was Hammer. If we're talking over all, it was Nelly. KRS aside, Nelly never had the people turn against him like Hammer did.

Fred.

Nelly does not compare to Hammer's success in any way, shape, or form.

He was the biggest artist in the world at his peek.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't say universally, but yea I hear you.

that's why I initially had nelly ranked ahead of him.

notsoft convinced me to change it. but now, fred has me ready to put nelly back in front.:patrice:

i thought reviled was a good thing til i googled:martin:,i was thinking about revered,which is what Hammer was when he first came out:pachaha:

Hammer was so loved by all,that it could easily look like he was hated by all,he was just that famous....maybe somebody older can tell me if I'm wrong,but is Hammer or is Hammer not the closest thing to Michael Jackson we will ever witness? I was too young to witness Mike Thriller run,matter of fact i wasnt alive yet. But i know how big he still was even after that. And far as i know,only Hammer has ever come close to what Michael did.

Hammer videos was prime time events,i remember watching the 2 Legit 2 Quit video in prime time and the whole family standing around watching,then nikkas trying to get the 2 Legit 2 Quit handsign down that night,and into the next day:laff:....obviously there was some haters in attendance:martin:

But Hammer had a cartoon breh:mindblown:, i was born in 86 and its 2017 now,somebody remind me of a time when they saw anything like Hammer and I'll concede If im wrong:hubie:

one thing i know is it damn sure wasnt Nelly.

just stop and think for a second,Michael had the moonwalk and the lean,Hammer had the running man,the typewriter and the 2 Legit 2 Quit handsign:wow:...if irrc he had 2 of those in the same night:banderas:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Nelly does not compare to Hammer's success in any way, shape, or form.

He was the biggest artist in the world at his peek.

:snoop:

That's all fine and well but peak could mean artistically. Peak could mean strictly record sales. Peak could mean a lot of things.

If we're talking solely financial success or sales, Hammer wins. But even then, he had little to no respect, and was openly ridiculed by half of rap. Nelly didn't hit those same peaks career-wise, but he sold a fukk ton and still got respect as a rapper. Or at the very least, he didn't get openly disrespected. So artistically, he peaked higher than Hammer.

Fred.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
its been cool for a while now to pretend you and everyone you loved hated Hammer at the time though....so i think too many folks have been irreversably brainwashed and have blocked out the era where them and they whole family was Hammer stans:francis: