When Will Rappers Learn That Too Much Social Media Presence Is NOT Good?

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Maybe its because I'm a little older but when I was young, the great thing about celebs in general was their "mystique". It made the actual music better.

We didn't have 24/7 access to rappers lives so it made the music feel more authentic. This even goes for r&b cats. I expect a certain "maturity" from my r&b stars so I don't wanna hear about Trey Songz going nuts on stage or assaulting a guard. I dont want to hear about Robin Thicke cheating on his wife. It takes away from the music. I honestly can't take Robin singing about love seriously anymore because I know too much about his personal life.

Same with Chris Brown. He's the last person I wanna hear singing about being a gentleman when we all know he's a girl-beating gangbanger in real life.

Of course nobody is perfect and celebs of the past had dirt, BUT I DONT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!!!

I see ppl saying they can't rock with Wale because he's a cornball. Same with Joe Budden. This is why I try to stay away from social media and reality shows. I love Budden as a rapper, and that's why I've never seen an episode of him on L&HH. I want all my impressions to come from actual music and not personal life antics. This is why I'm glad my 2 fav rappers eLZhi and Phonte' aren't big like that. Everything I know of them are from the music.

The day I see eLZHi on a reality tv show, lord help me:sadcam:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
social media ruined alot of my favorite rappers for example The Game, dude's a media whore.

DMX probably had the most mystique out of anybody back in the day to me. I was legit shook of dude when he came on the scene:merchant:

Now, he's pretty much lost all of it:francis:

9Zf70ML.jpg

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
None of the top tier (Kendrick, Cole, Drake) are out here tweeting crazy and they ain't out here on drugs. Not a coincidence.
Exactly, which is why they also sell the most. I think a huge reason for Adele's success is the fact that she isn't too accessible. She's pretty much non-existant between albums. :yeshrug:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Till this day I don't know shyt about the personal lives of the members of BONE (my fav group growing up). Besides Bizzy's child kidnapping situation (which he's spoke about in the music) and I think Krayzie accidentally shot Wish in the leg once, that's about it.

Matter fact, I just recently found out last year that Layzie got shot in the head a long time ago.:dead:

Somebody posted a Layzie Bone interview here and he talked about it.

Bone still has "mystique" to me.:salute:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Who has social media negatively affected career wise?

Seems to be like a lot bias are being confirmed in the OP

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
eh, it can go both ways. A Presence is good for fan interaction/promotion, but it can go overboard and twitter finger beefs are corny/lame

like Ice-T's social media is nice, he drops game daily
Pretty much this
Curren$y is one of my fav rappers & he be chilling for the most part..even when he posts pictures of his whips & crib it's for motivation