What makes for a dope comic book movie?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The film room is full of comic book geeks in one way or another, even if you've never read a comic, a good number of us love these characters and love these movies that they're in, so my question is: What makes for a good one? What do you need to see on screen to make you go :ohhh: and then want to moonwalk in the theater? Do you want something quirky like Guardians or the more traditional action flick of iron man (traditional isn't a bad thing)? Something that takes itself seriously like the dark knight or something with a bit of a wink like punisher war zone? Or do you prefer your comic book flicks to be more allegorical like the x men movies? Is acting a big deal or not? I'm priming the pump for something coming so this is part of that priming

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Here's what I'll add...

The movie doesn't have to take itself seriously like The Dark Knight, unless, that precedent has been set in the comics (or at least the comics/stories that they're adapting).

To me, if a character is generally perceived to be fun and easy-going, then the movie's tone should reflect that, and each company (DC and Marvel) shouldn't stick to a tone that blankets all of their movies (DC: dark, night, broody - Marvel: light(ish), day, joke-y/quippy).

My problem with Man of Steel was, even if only visually, Superman/Metropolis is the aesthetic opposite to Gotham, so for the movie to be so visually dark was my first point of contention.

So if you take that as an example, this upcoming Bast v Supes movie would have been made infinitely more interesting when two characters whose outlook was different. If they're both brooding self-serious dikks, then we might as well watch two different timeline Batmans fight each other.

I'm not saying Christopher Reeve's Superman movies were the best, but if you took, say, Reeve's Superman, and had him have to fight and argue with Bale's Batman, that's a more interesting story:

Optimist vs. Pessimist

Instead, what we're most likely getting is:

Brooding Alien vs. Brooding Billionaire

:yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Here's what I'll add...

The movie doesn't have to take itself seriously like The Dark Knight, unless, that precedent has been set in the comics (or at least the comics/stories that they're adapting).

To me, if a character is generally perceived to be fun and easy-going, then the movie's tone should reflect that, and each company (DC and Marvel) shouldn't stick to a tone that blankets all of their movies (DC: dark, night, broody - Marvel: light(ish), day, joke-y/quippy).

My problem with Man of Steel was, even if only visually, Superman/Metropolis is the aesthetic opposite to Gotham, so for the movie to be so visually dark was my first point of contention.

So if you take that as an example, this upcoming Bast v Supes movie would have been made infinitely more interesting when two characters whose outlook was different. If they're both brooding self-serious dikks, then we might as well watch two different timeline Batmans fight each other.

I'm not saying Christopher Reeve's Superman movies were the best, but if you took, say, Reeve's Superman, and had him have to fight and argue with Bale's Batman, that's a more interesting story:

Optimist vs. Pessimist

Instead, what we're most likely getting is:

Brooding Alien vs. Brooding Billionaire

:yeshrug:

I think Clark's new outlook is shown in his brief conversation with Perry talking about how batman is a vigilante.Even in man of steel, Clark was willing to cooperate with officials, turn himself into the army, etc..stuff batman wouldn't do for shyt lol. So the contrast in philosophy comes in how they feel they should interact with the law and how they work inside the law or outside of the law. Superman seems more willing to be a "deputy" while Batman wants to do his own thing, laws be damned and I think that makes for good drama

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
  • True to comics with real world logical adaptations (xmen not in eye burning yellow, for example)
  • High quality action and fighting if applicable
  • Good script that makes sense to the characters
  • Villians that are true to their comic roots and seem like a threat
  • High/respectable production values
Thats what I value most

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
  • True to comics with real world logical adaptations (xmen not in eye burning yellow, for example)
  • High quality action and fighting if applicable
  • Good script that makes sense to the characters
  • Villians that are true to their comic roots and seem like a threat
  • High/respectable production values
Thats what I value most

So if/when the x men appear in the yellow, how would you feel about that breh?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
There's not one way to make a good movie but uh generally an interesting plot that goes from some point A to a point B

Interesting characters

Decent acting (I can bypass subpar acting from a minority of players if the story is good enough)

A well defined context, meaning what is possible and impossible in said film is defined and then stuck to since this is a fantasy.

Good to great action.

Decent dialogue

An interesting theme, a movie trying to give some hypothesis/theory or belief to the audience