What Can Black People Do To Combat the "Whitewashing" Of Black Music?

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
We all know about the whitewashing of black music throughout history, but its still happening today right before our very eyes in real time.

Bruno Mars winning "best R&B album" at the grammys was a personal insult to me.
Bruno Mars is many things, but he doesn't belong in the same category as a Musiq Soulchild or a Ledisi. I don't give a damn about the Grammy per se (I've never even watched it), but this is how "whitewashing" works.

The lightening of the faces of black music is happening NOW.

The faces of rap and r&b is becomimy less and less black.

One thing ill say about Eminem is that he did make "angry whiteboy" rap for the most part. There was no mistaking that he was a white rapper. He stayed making those "corny" singles to remind us of his whiteness.

But now, the lines are all the way blurred.

You got dudes like Post Malone & G-Easy on trap beats and making songs that even the most "hood" stripclubs and hole in the wall clubs are playing. The hood never bumped Eminem.

White faces have colonized black music.

What can realistically be done?

Do we even collectively know its happening?

Do we care? :mindblown:

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
Nothing. We aren't united enough to do anything substantial. It's why other races feel comfortable to use the nword now in rap songs and no superstar black rapper is calling them out. Hiphop is beyond our control now. It's a damn shame. It's all about getting lit in the club etc or igdaf that shyt bangs. It's a mockery. :francis:

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
We dont own media.

We have no control.

We have no say.

All we can do is complain and talk shyt and make hashtags.

Until we decide to own and control our own image.... white washing will continue.

at the end of the day.... white people are the ones in charge & getting rich off black music and cutting the checks for black music ...... so is it REALLY white washing ? lol

Daps
we need to have are own awards where there are actually black people who actually listen to hip hop choosing who wins... we place so much importance on there approval. Look at the damn XXL

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Also stop caring about the Grammys stop giving them racist your energy and time. They don't deserve it. Soon people will figure that out.

Underrated post. I'd love to see the day when there's a Grammys and not one Black person in attendance. Or at the very least a noticeable amount of Black artists missing. And when Black artists are asked prior to the Grammys whether they're attending and why not, they'll be on code and say they had prior obligations as opposed to say they're protesting. Ohhh, what I wouldn't give to see that happen.

Pipe dream though.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
Support your local artists and speak to them with encouraging words about the concerns you have after they get off stage. This time after the performance is an extremely energetically receptive state. Direct eye contact and calm tones will be taken into the artist very well, even if it doesn't manifest immediately. However, you have to be present to receive these gifts in the future.