Watching this World Cup, I wish the US was a football/soccer powerhouse

Dr.HannibalLecter

Tha Realest
Daps
This is the best sports event in the world and I can't lie, I wish we had the reputation of Brazil or Germany :to:

Semi-finals in the first ever World Cup in 1930 (still the highest finish of any team from outside of South America or Europe.), but after that...nothing.

Dunno what happened, but somehow it all went wrong :sadcam:

The U.S fielded a team in the 1930 World Cup in Uruguay, the first ever World Cup. The U.S. began group play by beating Belgium 3–0. The U.S. then earned a 3–0 victory over Paraguay, with FIFA crediting Bert Patenaude with two of the goals. In November 2006, FIFA announced that it had accepted evidence that Patenaude scored all three goals against Paraguay, and was thus the first person to score a hat trick in a World Cup. In the semifinals, the U.S. lost to Argentina 6–1. Using the overall tournament records, FIFA credited the U.S. with a third place finish ahead of fellow semi-finalist Yugoslavia. The finish remains the U.S. team's best World Cup result, and is the highest finish of any team from outside of South America or Europe.

The 1950 World Cup in Brazil was the United States's first World Cup appearance since 1934. The USA lost its first match 3–1 against Spain, but then won 1-0 against England. Striker Joe Gaetjens was the goal scorer. The result is considered one of the greatest upsets in the history of the World Cups. Months before the famous World Cup loss to the USA, England had beaten an all-star "rest of Europe" side 6–1 in an exhibition match. Sports Illustrated and Soccer Digest have called World Cup upset by the Americans in 1950 the "Miracle on Grass,". In USA's third game of the 1950 tournament, a defeat by Chile by a 5–2 margin saw the U.S. eliminated from the tournament. It would be four decades before the United States made another appearance at the World Cup.

After the creation and rise of the North American Soccer League in the 1960s and 1970s, it seemed as though the U.S. national team would soon become a force in world soccer. Such hopes were not realized, however, and the United States played only two international matches from 1981 to 1983.

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
Nah, the best players are usually manlets these days.

But yeah, all US soccer needs is just one WW superstar. They've still never been able to produce one.

I'm talking Top 10-20 type player.
yeah and no, yaya is a good example of what the US could produce if they find a player like him(strong etc)

US normally breed fast players(whether its nfl,soccer or athletics )

US normally produce good goalkeepers because of all the other sports they play ( basketball n the nfl)

but yeah small technical players are running it right now,

il give US about 10 more years then i think they will become a force

Ohms Law

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#Byrd Gang
yeah and no, yaya is a good example of what the US could produce if they find a player like him(strong etc)

US normally breed fast players(whether its nfl,soccer or athletics )

US normally produce good goalkeepers because of all the other sports they play ( basketball n the nfl)

but yeah small technical players are running it right now,

il give US about 10 more years then i think they will become a force
US doesn't need to produce any players per se, what they need to do is get their young athletes in top European youth teams as soon as possible. Level of competition in us football youth leagues isn't high enough to produce that level of player.

Mensch Fontana

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHHICEY
breh winning 3 games back in 1930 would get you into the finals, now a days depending on the group you might have to win 5-6 to get there

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I played in middle school against someone who was a top 3 MLS draft pick recently (I was the only person who could defend him :wow:), and you could tell at the time that he was just a brilliant player, but I suspect his development was ruined with the weak competition around here. US talent needs to be shipped off to Europe early.

ll_simon

GQ MoTY Candidate
Daps
Reppin
#NJLives #LWO
8 years and we'll be there. Keep in mind soccer is relatively unpopular in our country, but quickly gaining in popularity. Add with that the concussion scare we're getting from Football. Parents are already starting to steer their kids away from Football. By the 2022 WC we should be pretty strong in it.