Watch This Rare Color Footage Of Black Wall Street, Only footage of Tulsa riots on Camera

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Read more: (VIDEO) Watch This Rare Color Footage Of Black Wall Street | Urban Intellectuals
Follow us: @urbanintellect on Twitter | urbanintellectuals on Facebook

Apparently this footage of Greenwood ‘Black Wall Street’ has not been seen for over 50 years and man, it;s mesmerizing.

Just seeing these folks who were building a future for themselves in Greenwood, going about daily business. I could watch this over and over again all day! Sadly the video was also shot on the day of the Tulsa Race Riots and has some disturbing imagery.

Greenwood was destroyed in the 1921 Tulsa Race Riot on May 31 – June 1, 1921, a white mob attacked residents and businesses of the African-American community of Greenwood in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

This footage is part if a new documentary from the Smithsonian Channel, this is the only known footage from the day of the riots.

Read more: (VIDEO) Watch This Rare Color Footage Of Black Wall Street | Urban Intellectuals
Follow us: @urbanintellect on Twitter | urbanintellectuals on Facebook

Archangel

Banned
Daps
To see a town bursting with life and thriving businesses built on the backs of black men and women is awe inspiring. I've never seen footage of Black Wall Street. I don't know where to stand on the issue of integration/segregation but seeing what we can build when left on our own with proper resources causes my indifference to shift a bit.

Rep+Dap OP

rabbitfood

Ancillary Character
Daps
EDIT AND SELF NEG. That article was bs and I should've vetted it before posting.

---
I got to do a walking tour of the area a while back and it saddened me to see what once was and hearing that the girl recanted...

Last edited:

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Damn, just imagine rolling down the road in your Model T bumping that new Satchmo tape with the seat back. Feeling like Jack Johnson
jack-johnson-driving-a-car.jpg

luciddreamer

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The sleepless city
And its so hard to damn near impossible to try and replicate that today.... Our people have been broken down mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually... To the point where we even attempt something like this some naysayers from our OWN side will try and knock it down....

But I believe we all will rise up from the mental shackles one day... Can't keep us down...

BPP-II.jpg

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Whenever I read up on Black Wall Street I think of the Gap Band.

The band is named after streets (Greenwood, Archer, and Pine) in the historic Greenwood neighborhood in their hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Regarding their hit, "You Dropped a Bomb on Me"

However, despite the above explanation, many believe that the inspiration for this popular song came from the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921, the horrific bombing of Black Wall Street.