Thinking about writing a screenplay, any writers on here?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
So lately I've been having ideas in my head about shirt films, tv shows, and movies and am thinking about turning them into screenplays. I've never done anything like this before, but figured it might be pretty cool thing to do. I might try to make one of these into a web episode or something I can throw on YouTube or submit to a film festival or something.

Just wondering if anyone on here ever wrote a screenplay before or if their in the film/theater/acting scene and can offer some advice on someone jumping in with no prior experience. I'm not looking to turn this into a career or anything (if it happens cool) just something that would be pretty dope to say I did :ld:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So lately I've been having ideas in my head about shirt films, tv shows, and movies and am thinking about turning them into screenplays. I've never done anything like this before, but figured it might be pretty cool thing to do. I might try to make one of these into a web episode or something I can throw on YouTube or submit to a film festival or something.

Just wondering if anyone on here ever wrote a screenplay before or if their in the film/theater/acting scene and can offer some advice on someone jumping in with no prior experience. I'm not looking to turn this into a career or anything (if it happens cool) just something that would be pretty dope to say I did :ld:

One of my closest friends is a Hollywood producer.

I. The most important thing is and will always be connections. Who you know>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>talent.

II. The next most important thing to keep in mind is money. Our hypercapitalist culture consumed the arts a long, long time ago. Studios ain't trying to bankroll thoughtful films with any depth to them. You need to make a short that appeals to the basest societal trends and emotions at the moment. You need to do something that deftly blends gimmick, sentimentality, and cliche. Something that gets a million youtube views, but which you probably wouldn't want to watch yourself.

III. If you're serious about wanting to express your vision and not just make some bullshyt that gets you paid, you need to spend a month doing research: books on how to write screenplays, books on the subject matter, masters of dialogue (Ernest Hemingway's short fiction is a great place to start, he's a beast with quick, smooth, authentic dialogue).

IV. Are you skilled with cameras? If not, either hit up craigslist and place an ad or find the closest college or grad program near you and find a broke, aspiring, ambitious dude looking to make a movie who is technically proficient but creatively limited (you'd be shocked by how many people there are who fit that description).

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
One of my closest friends is a Hollywood producer.

I. The most important thing is and will always be connections. Who you know>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>talent.

II. The next most important thing to keep in mind is money. Our hypercapitalist culture consumed the arts a long, long time ago. Studios ain't trying to bankroll thoughtful films with any depth to them. You need to make a short that appeals to the basest societal trends and emotions at the moment. You need to do something that deftly blends gimmick, sentimentality, and cliche. Something that gets a million youtube views, but which you probably wouldn't want to watch yourself.

III. If you're serious about wanting to express your vision and not just make some bullshyt that gets you paid, you need to spend a month doing research: books on how to write screenplays, books on the subject matter, masters of dialogue (Ernest Hemingway's short fiction is a great place to start, he's a beast with quick, smooth, authentic dialogue).

IV. Are you skilled with cameras? If not, either hit up craigslist and place an ad or find the closest college or grad program near you and find a broke, aspiring, ambitious dude looking to make a movie who is technically proficient but creatively limited (you'd be shocked by how many people there are who fit that description).

I'm high as hell right now and reading your post has me like :lupe: