The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
What is "being a man"? Are the standards of "being a man" harmful to black male youth or just black males overall? What are the terms associated with the idea of masculinity? do you feel any pressure if you do not conform to this idea of masculinity? what part does the media play into these things?

I just wanted to bring these issues out into the open and see if we can have an conversation, if you all want to.

Last edited:

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
177.jpg

30b.jpg

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
On the right hand side of your screen where it says Thread Tools...Thats where u go to edit the title.

Daps
The idea of "being a man" has gotten so twisted and convoluted these days. One person will tell you being a man is being a crutch to a woman. Another person will tell you being a man is being some tactless, unfeeling force of nature whos only goal is to hoard success, money and women.
It seems like parents would have a hard time teaching what real masculinity is because there's not even a concrete definition on what that is. People just say what is convenient to them at the moment.

Entropy Fan

Superstar
Daps
Being a man isn't about being tough and aggressive

Masculine traits: Honor, steadfastness, discipline, courage, sense of responsibility, Strength, sacrifice, noble, dominant, competitive, confident

Tell me how those things are traits we shouldn't instill in all young men :francis:

My son will have all of these traits taught to him, your sons are free to twerk tho:yeshrug:

Last edited: