Teacher asks only black student in class to read the poem "BLACKER". (VIDEO in Link.)

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
s-HIGH-SCHOOL-STUDENT-POEM-BLACKER-large.jpg

A Virginia high school English teacher is under investigation for allegedly asking the only black student in the class to read a poem in a "blacker" manner.
Jordan Shumate, a ninth-grader at George C. Marshall High School in Falls Church, Va., says he was reading aloud Langston Hughes' "Ballad of the Landlord" when teacher Marilyn Bart interrupted him.

"She told me, 'Blacker, Jordan -- c'mon, blacker. I thought you were black,'" Shumate told The Washington Post.

When the 14-year-old student declined to continue reading the poem, Bart read it herself to demonstrate what she meant.

"She read the poem like a slave, basically,"
Shumate told the Post. When he asked whether she thought all black people speak that way, he was reportedly told to take his seat and reprimanded for speaking out of turn.

The poem was written in 1940 about a black tenant thrown in jail for challenging a landlord.

"It's very, very unprofessional," Shumate told WJLA-TV. "It should not happen. She didn't do it to any other kids. Why did she have to do it to me?"

The student brought the issue to his mother's attention after the teacher reportedly singled him out again during a lesson about stereotypes. Shumate said Bart asked him to explain why blacks like grape soda and rap music.

Shumate's mother, Nicole Page, told WAMU that she is "very sad" for her "child's loss of innocence" through the experience. The teacher had also previously asked the student to rap out a poem by black rapper and actor Tupac Shakur, Page said.

"We're in 2012 with the first African American president," Page told WJLA-TV. "In this era how could such a statement be made, particularly by an English teacher?"

Shumate's claims come after two shocking and racist YouTube videos surfaced in Florida last month that feature white teen girls making disparaging statements against black students.

At least one of the incidents forced the video's creators to apologize and leave their Gainesville, Fla., high school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/18/george-c-marshall-high-sc_n_1358044.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Let racists cacs teach your kids brehs...:aicmon:

The Nigerian

The Realest Member of TheColi
Daps
Reppin
All The Way One Hunnid
s-HIGH-SCHOOL-STUDENT-POEM-BLACKER-large.jpg

A Virginia high school English teacher is under investigation for allegedly asking the only black student in the class to read a poem in a "blacker" manner.
Jordan Shumate, a ninth-grader at George C. Marshall High School in Falls Church, Va., says he was reading aloud Langston Hughes' "Ballad of the Landlord" when teacher Marilyn Bart interrupted him.

"She told me, 'Blacker, Jordan -- c'mon, blacker. I thought you were black,'" Shumate told The Washington Post.

When the 14-year-old student declined to continue reading the poem, Bart read it herself to demonstrate what she meant.

"She read the poem like a slave, basically,"
Shumate told the Post. When he asked whether she thought all black people speak that way, he was reportedly told to take his seat and reprimanded for speaking out of turn.

The poem was written in 1940 about a black tenant thrown in jail for challenging a landlord.

"It's very, very unprofessional," Shumate told WJLA-TV. "It should not happen. She didn't do it to any other kids. Why did she have to do it to me?"

The student brought the issue to his mother's attention after the teacher reportedly singled him out again during a lesson about stereotypes. Shumate said Bart asked him to explain why blacks like grape soda and rap music.

Shumate's mother, Nicole Page, told WAMU that she is "very sad" for her "child's loss of innocence" through the experience. The teacher had also previously asked the student to rap out a poem by black rapper and actor Tupac Shakur, Page said.

"We're in 2012 with the first African American president," Page told WJLA-TV. "In this era how could such a statement be made, particularly by an English teacher?"

Shumate's claims come after two shocking and racist YouTube videos surfaced in Florida last month that feature white teen girls making disparaging statements against black students.

At least one of the incidents forced the video's creators to apologize and leave their Gainesville, Fla., high school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/18/george-c-marshall-high-sc_n_1358044.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Let racists cacs teach your kids brehs...:aicmon:
Not nearly as bad as being asked to read all of "Jim's" lines in Huck Finn. :snoop:

ADK

Cleaner, I got this.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Can't imagine going most of my life in a majority white school, pretty much was the only black dude in my class 2nd-3rd grade :ld:.
Now in high school I have no white people first period, 5 including the teacher 2nd period, 2 in 3rd, and 1 in 4th period.

ProfessionallyTrill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
:dwillhuh: The same shyt kinda happened to me in class :wow:

fukk that bytch. These are the people teaching our youth! We need to teach our kids to speak up and question everything!

I :salute: the courage of this young man for refusing and for speaking up. I hope others follow the example and out these racists in our system. Theres no place for it.