Substance abuse

TheHonorableOmarSharif

HOLGang President U.N.I.T. Representative
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte by way of Chucktown What
I just got a call from a cat I went to rehab with. He relapsed and almost died. Long story long, while the step programs are anonymous, a lot of everyday people struggle just to make it to functional.

There's alot of us black folk (fukk the agents for now) who either are dealing with addiction or know someone intimately is.

But we never talk about it. We just deal with the reality that cacs are highlighting heavy now - (opioid "crisis")

That has to change. If anyone is dealing with that issue, despite the substance (alcohol, while my vice, is still a drug) we as a collective can't be apathetic from the struggles a sizable number of cats attempt to handle on the daily.

I love sports, Hip-hop, and piffery, but his story woke me up to the same struggle to feel the need to juggle substances just to deal with life, that too many deal with daily, including myself.

If any are brave enough and are still trying to find a forum, space, or opportunity to address your thoughts on this fact, be it wholly personal or reflective on someone you know in the fight...we gotta address it.

Overdoses... Jobs lost...families torn apart...too many wanna talk about their demons, but where?

I'm still fighting mine, and while I'm somewhat straight now, my own addiction is killing me softly (when you throwing up blood in your mid-30s...eesh). There's too many niccas, who with help or an outlet, could be great, that don't have that space to talk it out.

At least on here, we should have a space for folks to be able to keep it a hunnid, so if you feel so inclined, share.

It may be an allergy...or simply poor decision-making...but bottom-line, millions of lives are in flux due to addiction. We can ignore it here on my favorite forum, or we can at least have an honest dialogue about it.

Just might save a life or too.

P.S Respectfully, no trolling please. (My Uncle drunk himself to death, and I had to call my Mom to tell her he was dead. Hands down, the roughest convo I've had in life, especially when she had to watch me do the same thing to myself.)

Last edited: