So let's talk about Citizen Kane

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Aka the arguably, if not indisputable greatest film of all time. A film that depicts the corruption of ideals and loss of innocence in a slow-burning mission to gain more and more power, but more importantly, a film that was such a huge achievement on storytelling and technical aspects that it single-handedly evolved the film medium to a new level.

Like the opening alone is some of the best film making ever seen.

The way the camera moves up to Xanadu, one step at a time, showing the decay of former glory, the lights flipping off that already tell us Kane's lights are going out, the snow globe illusion and then the nurse entering the room shown distorted through the broken glass of his childhood memories. :wow:

Of course, that's only a small part of the cinematic brilliance the film has to offer.

The hall of mirrors, such a skin-crawling moment that perfectly depicts the loneliness of the man who's lost everything in his desire for everything. And once again, like the lights going off in the opening scene, the first shot of Kane reflected in the mirror when the staff watch him leave is again a prelude to the moment to come.

A great scene from the film, but the specific reason I posted it is because of the wide shot of the ballroom at 0:33, because that isn't a ballroom. It's a miniature that they punctured holes into and moved lights behind to create the illusion of movement in the crowd.

A perfect example of the use of Welles' extensive use of Deep Focus, allowing both the foreground and background to be in focus at the same time. Also pay attention that starting at 0:05, the camera moves backwards from the window into the other room and at 0:23 seemingly had to pass through the table to take its position, with the argument playing out while little Charles is playing in the snow in the background. When the scene finally cuts to the close-up of the mother looking outside the window, the next shot again lasts for nearly a minute and a half, before cutting to a close-up of the mother again. Notice that both close-ups also follow two particularly cold-blooded lines by the mother, the first time when she announces she had already packed Charles' bags for a week now, and the second when she tells the father he's going where he can't get at him, and both times she's looking at her son, showing that her cold treatment is really towards the husband despite it being so hard on Charles.

:wow:

And of course there's also the impeccable writing, as seen in these two great scenes:

"Really Charles, people will think..."
"What I tell them to think!"

:damn:

Also the way the scene starts with the camera moving towards the two sitting close together, and at the end pans out to show the literal distance of them setting at the far ends of a bigger table. :whew:

"You're right Mr. Thatcher, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars next year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in... 60 years." :wow:

And to end it my favorite movie quote of all time:

"Old age... it's the only disease, Mr. Thompson, that you don't look forward to being cured of."

:ohhh::wow::to::whew::ohlawd::banderas:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
It's an unquestionably brilliant work.

As odd add it sounds, it's reputation amongst non-cinephiles is probably hurt by being widely known as the "greatest film of all time"

It's difficult for any work of art to live up to that kind of reputation, especially in a genre that has fished so much in the past 70 years. People go in EXPECTING to be disappointed, or looking for reasons to disagree with its status.

Its too bad, because its a classic film that holds up in nearly every way.

10/10

Matter of fact, I think I might just watch it again this week. The 70th Anniversary bluray collection is great, fyi
:blessed:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Not gonna lie. I've been avoiding this movie like the plague my whole life, but because of the Coli I will take it in one of these days. I can only get my girl to watch certain black and white movies (Casablanca, Sabrina, Roman Holiday) so I might have to watch on a late night tip while she's sleeping. I hope I can appreciate it the way everyone else seems to.

:salute:Coli film buffs.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Not gonna lie. I've been avoiding this movie like the plague my whole life, but because of the Coli I will take it in one of these days. I can only get my girl to watch certain black and white movies (Casablanca, Sabrina, Roman Holiday) so I might have to watch on a late night tip while she sleeping. I hope I can appreciate it the way everyone else seems to.

Casablanca is so good.

Its one that I actually avoided for several years. I saw it for the first time at a theater during a "classic" series and was mad I'd waited so long lol

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's an unquestionably brilliant work.

As odd add it sounds, it's reputation amongst non-cinephiles is probably hurt by being widely known as the "greatest film of all time"

It's difficult for any work of art to live up to that kind of reputation, especially in a genre that has fished so much in the past 70 years. People go in EXPECTING to be disappointed, or looking for reasons to disagree with its status.

Its too bad, because its a classic film that holds up in nearly every way.

10/10

Matter of fact, I think I might just watch it again this week. The 70th Anniversary bluray collection is great, fyi
:blessed:

Not gonna lie. I've been avoiding this movie like the plague my whole life, but because of the Coli I will take it in one of these days. I can only get my girl to watch certain black and white movies (Casablanca, Sabrina, Roman Holiday) so I might have to watch on a late night tip while she's sleeping. I hope I can appreciate it the way everyone else seems to.

:salute:Coli film buffs.

It's funny because I was avoiding this film for a long time as well because of its reputation, but it won me over right away and made me an instant fan of Welles. Then again, I do think you need to be into film to truly see and understand its greatness. Most people will find it's a good movie, but a film buff can bask in every moment the movie has to offer.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Roger Ebert's commentary on the bluray is worth a watch/listen as well

There's a great piece by Ebert on his website as well, now over a decade old.

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/a-viewers-companion-to-citizen-kane

A VIEWER'S COMPANION TO 'CITIZEN KANE'

"Rosebud." The most famous word in the history of cinema. It explains everything, and nothing. Who, for that matter, actually heard Charles Foster Kane say it before he died? The butler says, late in the film, that he did. But Kane seems to be alone when he dies, and the reflection on the shard of glass from the broken paperweight shows the nurse entering the room. Gossip has it that the screenwriter, Herman Mankiewicz, used "rosebud" as an inside joke, because as a friend of Hearst's mistress, Marion Davies, he knew "rosebud" was the old man's pet name for the most intimate part of her anatomy.

Deep Focus. Everyone knows that Orson Welles and his cinematographer, Gregg Toland, used deep focus in Kane. But what is deep focus, and were they using it for the first time? The term refers to a strategy of lighting, composition, and lens choice that allows everything in the frame, from the front to the back, to be in focus at the same time. With the lighting and lenses available in 1941, this was just becoming possible, and Toland had experimented with the technique in John Ford's The Long Voyage Home a few years earlier. In most movies, the key elements in the frame are in focus, and those closer or further away may not be. When everything is in focus, the filmmakers must give a lot more thought to how they direct the viewer's attention, first here and then there. What the French call mise-en-scene--the movement within the frame-- becomes more important.

Optical illusions. Deep focus is especially tricky because movies are two-dimensional, and so you need visual guideposts to determine the true scale of a scene. Toland used this fact as a way to fool the audience's eye on two delightful occasions in the film. One comes when Kane is signing away control of his empire in Thatcher's office. Behind him on the wall are windows that look of normal size and height. Then Kane starts to walk into the background of the shot, and we realize with surprise that the windows are huge, and their lower sills are more than six feet above the floor. As Kane stands under them, he is dwarfed--which is the intent, since he has just lost great power. Later in the film, Kane walks over to stand in front of the great fireplace in Xanadu, and we realize it, too, is much larger than it first seemed.

Visible ceilings. In almost all movies before Citizen Kane, you couldn't see the ceilings in rooms because there weren't any. That's where you'd see the lights and microphones. Welles wanted to use a lot of low-angle shots that would look up toward ceilings, and so Toland devised a strategy of cloth ceilings that looked real but were not. The microphones were hidden immediately above the ceilings, which in many shots are noticeably low.

Matte drawings. These are drawings by artists that are used to create elements that aren't really there. Often they are combined with "real" foregrounds. The opening and closing shots of Kane's great castle, Xanadu, are examples. No exterior set was ever built for the structure. Instead, artists drew it, and used lights behind it to suggest Kane's bedroom window. "Real" foreground details such as Kane's lagoon and private zoo were added.

Invisible wipes. A "wipe" is a visual effect that wipes one image off the screen while wiping another into view. Invisible wipes disguise themselves as something else on the screen that seems to be moving, so you aren't aware of the effect. They are useful in "wiping" from full-scale sets to miniature sets. For example: One of the most famous shots in Kane shows Susan Alexander's opera debut, when, as she starts to sing, the camera moves straight up to a catwalk high above the stage, and one stagehand turns to another and eloquently reviews her performance by holding his nose. Only the stage and the stagehands on the catwalk are real. The middle portion of this seemingly unbroken shot is a miniature, built in the RKO model workshop. The model is invisibly wiped in by the stage curtains, as we move up past them, and wiped out by a wooden beam right below the catwalk. Another example: In Walter Thatcher's library, the statue of Thatcher is a drawing, and as the camera pans down it wipes out the drawing as it wipes in the set of the library.

Invisible Furniture Moving. In the early scene in the Kanes's cabin in Colorado, the camera tracks back from a window to a table where Kane's mother is being asked to sign a paper. The camera tracks right through where the table would be, after which it is slipped into place before we can see it. But a hat on the table is still trembling from the move. After she signs the paper, the camera pulls up and follows her as she walks back toward the window. If you look sharply, you can see that she's walking right through where the table was a moment before.

The Neatest Flash-Forward in Kane. Between Thatcher's words "Merry Christmas" and "... a very Happy New Year," two decades pass.

From Model to Reality. As the camera swoops above the night club and through the skylight to discover Susan Alexander Kane sitting forlornly at a table, it goes from a model of the nightclub roof to a real set. The switch is concealed, the first time, by a lightning flash. The second time we go to the nightclub, it's done with a dissolve.

Crowd scenes. There aren't any in Citizen Kane. It only looks like there are. In the opening newsreel, stock footage of a political rally is intercut with a low-angle shot showing one man speaking on behalf of Kane. Sound effects make it sound like he's at a big outdoor rally. Later, Kane himself addresses a gigantic indoor rally. Kane and the other actors on the stage are real. The audience is a miniature, with flickering lights to suggest movement.

Slight Factual Discrepancies. In the opening newsreel, Xanadu is described as being "on the desert coast of Florida." But Florida does not have a desert coast, as you can plainly see during the picnic scene, where footage from an earlier RKO prehistoric adventure was back-projected behind the actors, and if you look closely, that seems to be a pterodactyl flapping its wings.

The Luce Connection. Although Citizen Kane was widely seen as an attack on William Randolph Hearst, it was also aimed at Henry R. Luce and his concept of faceless group journalism, as then practiced at his Time magazine and March of Time newsreels. The opening "News on the March" segment is a deliberate parody of the Luce newsreel, and the reason you can never see the faces of any of the journalists is that Welles and Mankiewicz were kidding the anonymity of Luce's writers and editors.

An Extra with a Future. Alan Ladd can be glimpsed in the opening newsreel sequence, and again in the closing warehouse scene.

Most Thankless Job on the Movie. It went to William Alland, who plays Mr. Thompson, the journalist assigned to track down the meaning of "Rosebud." He is always seen from behind, or in backlit profile. You can never see his face. At the movie's world premiere, Alland told the audience he would turn his back so they could recognize him more easily.

The Brothel Scene. It couldn't be filmed. In the original screenplay, after Kane hires away the staff of the Chronicle, he takes them to a brothel. The Production Code office wouldn't allow that. So the scene, slightly changed, takes place in the Inquirer newsroom, still with the dancing girls.

The Eyeless Cockatoo. Yes, you can see right through the eyeball of the shrieking cocatoo, in the scene before the big fight between Kane and Susan. It's a mistake.

The Most Evocative Shot in the Movie. There are many candidates. My choice is the shot showing an infinity of Kanes reflected in mirrors as he walks past.

The Best Speech in Kane. My favorite is delivered by Mr. Bernstein (Everett Sloane), when he is talking about the magic of memory with the inquiring reporter: "A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since, that I haven't thought of that girl."

Genuine Modesty. In the movie's credits, Welles allowed his director's credit and Toland's cinematography credit to appear on the same card--an unprecedented gesture that indicated how grateful Welles was.

False Modesty. In the unique end credits, the members of the Mercury Company are introduced and seen in brief moments from the movie. Then smaller parts are handled with a single card containing many names. The final credit down at the bottom, in small type, says simply: Kane...............Orson Welles

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Still holds up today

Orson thou was never able to match it and kinda was a one hit wonder

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I cant get into old movies. :yeshrug:

I'll probably feel some type of way when I try to get my son to watch The Godfather or some shyt :sadcam:

I honestly haven't seen this film, I'm gonna peep it after watching that opening scene though. It always amazes me what directors are able to do given their technological limitations.
yeah that was cool. the movie game is like the rap game. with the advancements of the genre came the avalanche of wackness too. dont understand why there are so many struggle movies today

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Props on making the thread, breh

It's already been covered, one of the GOAT films. Like everyone else i was avoiding it too, but had to watch it in Film class. The professor breaking down the technical aspects/themes/writing made me appreciate it as I was watching.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It is brilliant in so many ways from the writing to the acting to the cinematic innovation (especially Welles' use of sound which was pure genius) but I have never been able to develop any emotional connection to Citizen Kane like I have for other films in its class like The Godfather and Apocalypse Now and Notorious and whatever other films are routinely listed as being "The Best".

I do find the controversy around the film's lead character Charles Foster Kane being based so closely on William Randolph Hearst (among other titans of industry at the time) to be almost as entertaining as the film itself. Hearst staged a one man campaign to destroy the film and Welles that was just the real life epitome of :umad: .

RJY33

master of reality
Daps
Great post. Need more in depth analysis like this around here. I enjoy the fukkery too but its good to get deeper sometimes. I gotta watch this again soon. Only saw it once about 10 years back. A classic that really lives up to its name though. You could teach a whole semester almost just on this movie and its technical and storytelling significance.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Still holds up today

Orson thou was never able to match it and kinda was a one hit wonder

Only in terms of how cultural magnitude. I'd say Welles has made at least two or three films on par with Kane.

Chimes At Midnight (also known as Falstaff), my favorite by him, the greatest Shakespeare adaptation of all time and Welles' best acting role (even better than The Third Man!). I've posted it before but it features a ten minute battle that would go on to inspire Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan's battle scenes (and subsequently, all the movies that were inspired by those battle scenes).

Touch Of Evil, Welles' ultimate film noir with a mind-blowing opening tracking shot that was infamously cut to pieces by the studio (but later restored), and another fine role by Welles as a corrupt cop who tangles with a Mexican cop (played by Charlton Heston).

F For Fake, Welles' documentary (almost more of an essay) on forgery and trickery, but also a personal look into his own career in which Welles uses every trick in the book to mess with your mind. Technically it's as captivating as any of his movies.

And then there's scenes like the mirror house scene in The Lady From Shanghai or the scene where Arkadin gets outplayed at the airport in Mr Arkadin. No, Orson Welles never stopped innovating, he never stopped pushing cinema to the maximum, even if he never got the respect he deserved.