Smoke DZA & Pete Rock Interview w/ Okayplayer - Full Interview

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Smoke DZA, Pete Rock Share ‘Survivor Series’ Predictions, ‘Don’t Smoke Rock’ + More [Interview]

There is a fascinating harmony between professional wrestling and hip-hop music. Many wrestlers love hip-hop music, while many hip-hop artists love professional wrestling. One artist in particular is New York-based rapper, Smoke DZA, who incorporates wrestling references into his lyrics and projects. With this Sunday’s WWE Survivor Series event coming soon, we spoke with DZA about his affinity for pro-wrestling, got his predictions for the pay-per-view and discussed favorite wrestling stars from the ’80s with Pete Rock, who is DZA’s partner-in-rhyme on the upcoming album, Don’t Smoke Rock.

You can catch the Survivor Series this Sunday, November 20, exclusively on the WWE Network. Don’t Smoke Rock, Smoke DZA and Pete Rock’s new album, drops December 2nd on Babygrande Records and features appearances by Royce Da 5’9″, Rick Ross, Wale, Cam’Ron and others. Enjoy!

Okayplayer: DZA, I hear that you’re a big wrestling fan, so I wanted to ask you a little bit about Survivor Series. What match are you most excited for?

Smoke DZA: I’m excited about the traditional five-on-five matches, but I’m more excited about the Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg rematch from like 10-years ago that they’re gonna do now.

OKP: Who do you think is going to win that match?

SD: Well, if it’s a one-time thing then me just being a mark, I don’t think there will be a winner. It will probably end on some DQ [disqualification] shyt. I don’t see them letting Goldberg go over, but I also don’t see them letting Brock Lesnar go over just because they’re both special attractions. So, it’ll probably have to end on some double cross.

OKP: Do you think that [Paul] Heyman will turn?

SD: I don’t think Heyman is gonna turn.

OKP: Who do you think will win between Team Raw and Team Smackdown?

SD: I think Team Raw is gonna win. I mean I like Team Raw a little better even though my favorite wrestler currently is A.J. Styles. I just don’t think his team has enough to beat Team Raw.

OKP: Right, absolutely. I am a big A.J. fan, too. What about the tag team match which is another bout between Team Raw vs. Team Smackdown?

SD: That’s just a lot. That’s a lot going on, y’know? You got a 20-man tag team match and they are going to have to reinforce the ring for that. So, I don’t know… I’d probably say Team Smackdown ’cause I like Smackdown’s tag team division is better than Raw’s even though Big E is my homie. But you know, I think I am gonna take Team Smackdown.

OKP: What about the women’s match?

SD: I’m gonna go with Team Raw because of Charlotte and Sasha [Banks] being on the same team. If they can get along they’ll probably win.

OKP: And Charlotte is undefeated on pay-per-views…

SD: Yup, yup, so I think that Team Raw is gonna take that one, too.

OKP: What do you think about the Cruiserweight match with Kalisto versus Kendrick?

SD: I think [that] Kalisto is gonna take the Cruiserweight championship over to Tuesday nights [at Smackdown]. I read something about them taking the Cruiserweight off [Monday Night] Raw. And them getting their own show on Tuesdays. So, I think Kalisto might take that and I think Sami Zayn will take the Intercontinental belt from [Dolph] Ziggler [Ed. note: Ziggler was the IC champ, but as of 11/15, The Miz is now the champion]. So, there will be a title swap—the Cruiserweight title on Smackdown and the IC title on Raw.

OKP: It’ll be cool because when Kalisto went over to Smackdown everyone was wondering why he wasn’t on the Cruiserweight scene. Now, it will kind of bring that [energy] full circle.

SD: Exactly.

OKP: In one of the songs on Don’t Smoke Rock, a track called “Limitless,” you reference Greg “The Hammer” Valentine. Was he a favorite wrestler of yours growing up?

SD: I mean Greg “The Hammer” Valentine was always a good wrestler, but I think it just fit the bar at the time. I can’t even remember the bar, but I remember saying, “Greg Valentine,” but I don’t remember…

Pete Rock: “Hammer Play… Greg Valentine, I’m shining. I earned it.”

SD: [Laughs] Yeah, PR! “Hammer Play,” yeah. That was where it went off, so you know, Greg “The Hammer” Valentine… I’m like “Hammer Play” Greg Valentine, y’know?! That was just the metaphor for that. Hammer is another reference for a firearm, so that was where that came in. It’s a metaphor, a double entendre, where I could tie-in wrestling.

OKP: What was your favorite Survivor Series match of all time?

SD: My favorite Survivor Series match was probably Survivor Series ’88. It was The Megabucks versus The Megapowers. That’s probably my favorite Survivor Series. [Hulk] Hogan versus Andre The Giant. Hogan versus Macho [Man Randy Savage] versus Andre and Ted [Dibiase] with their [respective] squads.

OKP: How do wrestling and hip-hop connect for you?

SD: You know rap is more real than wrestling because it’s not scripted. Rap has this thing with it where you know there’s characters and people buy into these characters. It’s easy for me to turn into the Kush God, speak in third person and do all that type of theatrical wrestling shyt because I’m just a student of professional wrestling, so I know how to work it into my spiel. I think it goes hand-in-hand just because of entertainment purposes. We’re both trying to entertain. You got some wrestlers where their gimmick is being real, so I guess that is probably what I would be in wrestling.

OKP: Do you have a dream match that you would want to see?

SD: I mean the only dream match at this point would be probably Sting versus The Undertaker because that’s like the most realistic one that could happen. We probably won’t see Hulk Hogan versus John Cena or Hogan versus [Steve] Austin, so I’ll take Sting vs. Taker. That would be a dream match [that] I would wanna see that’s realistic.

OKP: What about a dream opponent that you would want to wrestle?

SD: I wouldn’t want to wrestle nobody. What I would do is a run-in or something [like that]. I’m down for that but I ain’t about nobody picking me up in the air and throwing me around like I’m some fukking toy. I’m definitely not about that wrestling life.

OKP: Who’s your favorite wrestler of all time?

SD: Hulk Hogan. Still after all the bullshyt and all that… He fukked up, but you know. It happens. Pete Rock is into comics [and] I’m into wrestling. Hulk Hogan was like my Superman or my Batman, you know what I mean? Like that was what he was for me.

OKP: Pete, are you a wrestling fan, too, like DZA?

PR: I used to be back in the early days. My mom was a Bob Backlund fan and when she was all into him, I was into Tony Atlas and then it was Junkyard Dog. I was into Andre The Giant, all those guys, but I’m more into boxing than wrestling. And, you know, football and basketball.

OKP: Who would win in a match between The New Day and Black Panther?

SD: [Laughs]

PR: Who?

SD: New Day is a tag team in wrestling.

PR: Black Panther is winning that one hand’s down.

SD: I’m gonna be the devil’s advocate here and go with The New Man, man, because of Big E.

PR: [Laughs] They’ll never survive. You’ve all seen Captain America: Civil War…? Black Panther is no joke.

OKP: What is your dream wrestler versus comic book hero match?

SD: It is who me and Pete are… it’s Hulk Hogan versus The Incredible Hulk. That is our tag team, too.

No new info on the project, lots of wrestling talk though.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Don’t Smoke Rock, Pt. II: Pete Rock Loves Hulk, Superpowers + Music [Interview]

When you combine the superpowers of your favorite comic book heroes with the abilities of your favorite hip-hop artists — the results can be truly incredible. Like superheroes, rappers and MCs use their gifts to save the world, one soul at a time. Music is a power. We continued our chat with Soul Brother #1 — Pete Rock — about his love for comic books, his relationship with the comics industry and hip-hop.

Okayplayer: Have you seen Marvel’s Doctor Strange yet?

Pete Rock: Of course I did! You know, Dr. Strange, he is one of the great Marvel classic characters. To bring his actual movie forth where you can be in the theater watching the story – it’s way beyond the comic book. Being a collector of comics and seeing these comic books turn into movies is an absolute surprise.

OKP: Do you think directors have done a good job of translating the characters and stories from comic books to the big screen?

PR: Some of them do… Some of the movies—I have to admit—are pretty mediocre. Maybe there have been a few bad ones out there, too. The first Ghost Rider [film] I thought could have been better. The first Daredevil [film] could have been better as well.

OKP: With that in mind, how do you feel about the film adaptation of Doctor Strange…?

PR: It was good. They basically told the story of his hands. Y’know, how his hands were destroyed and how even with him being a doctor, he couldn’t do his work.

OKP: Can you relate to Strange’s story in any way?

PR: Of course I can. Everything has some type of subliminal when you can take it for yourself and apply it to your life. But you know, people think “comic book,” they think certain things can’t be true. A lot of it is fictional [and] a lot of it is just adventurous kid stuff. But, y’know, there are some subliminal in movies at times.

OKP: So, how does Doctor Strange apply to your life specifically?

PR: Well, I need my hands to make music. Like, when I deejay. I couldn’t imagine what kind of career I would have had without my hands. I probably wouldn’t have any as far as being a DJ is concerned, [but] you can still make music in your mind.

OKP: If you had to choose between fame and fortune or ridding the world of evil — which one would you choose?

PR: Saving the world. It is kind of what we do in music form, in hip-hop form. We give people good music for their soul. People don’t realize that music is also a power, especially if you know how to make good music and get people to vibe out to your stuff. That’s a great thing!

OKP: What is your favorite comic book movie of all time?

PR: My favorite character is the The Incredible Hulk, so I would probably have to say the first Avengers movie is my favorite. And then you know, X-Men, Spider-Man, Blade and Iron Man [round out the list].

OKP: What comic book character do you relate to most? How so?

PR: [It would] probably [be] a mix between the Falcon and Spider-Man. Well, [to me], Spidey is like a regular guy even when he is in the spider-suit. You know he has an aunt and he has an uncle. He has friends and he goes to school. And, on top of that, he is a scientist with spider-powers, y’know, super powers! I have a superpower, I believe, and that is making music and giving back to the hip-hop community.

OKP: And there is something scientific in making music, too, yes?

PR: Right. The reason why I love comic books and collect them is because it relates to what I do in music, I believe. If you listen to Wu-Tang, they talk a lot about Marvel characters. They actually named themselves after Marvel characters, so it is a big inspiration for us to be super. If it is not a reality to fly in the air then we have to do it somewhere else where it is a reality [for us] and that is in hip-hop.

OKP: [In past interviews] I’ve read that you prefer Marvel over DC Comics… why is that?

PR: I feel they have more interesting characters and more interesting villains. With DC [Comics], I love Batman and I love The Flash. I’m not saying [that] I don’t like the others, but there is just something about Marvel characters. They are just more interesting.

OKP: How have comic books inspired your individual sound?

PR: Probably just taking on some of the clichés that I see in comic books and using them in hip-hop. It is just taking your imaginary mind somewhere within the music, and that’s how I deal with it. It is not a must. Comic books are just something that I collect and that I love experiencing. And once in a while, I love looking at them and showing them to my son. He loves them, too. He actually didn’t know they were books before he saw the movies, so he was bugging out, looking at all the comics like, “Wow, OK!”

Don’t Smoke Rock, Pt. III: Smoke DZA + Pete Rock Reintroduce That Cocaine Era Hip-Hop

Don’t Smoke Rock, the new album from Smoke DZA and Pete Rock, embodies the spirit of old Harlem, that pre-gentrified Harlem. Featuring guest appearances from artists such as Cam’ron, Dave East, Royce Da 5’9″, Rick Ross and others — Don’t Smoke Rock also reintroduces the world to PR’s voice as they may not be familiar with the Soul Brother #1’s mic skills.

“It’s a vibe. It’s a painting. It’s a moment,” Smoke DZA says of the recently released project. “Something that comes around once in a while.” The album personifies New York’s gritty hip-hop and soul by bringing together two artists who have an everlasting mutual adulation for one another.

Okayplayer talked with Pete Rock and Smoke DZA about Don’t Smoke Rock, out today (December 2nd) on Babygrande Records.

Okayplayer: Pete, why was now the time to reintroduce your voice and to return to rapping?

Pete Rock: I don’t know… I just feel like we wanna give it to the fans that miss it. No real issue with it [rapping], but we just wanna give back what’s been missing. What we feel should be in the mix of the new stuff and amongst the younger generation.

OKP: DZA, how did working with Pete Rock inspire you on Don’t Smoke Rock…?

Smoke DZA: Well, shyt… Pete Rock, man. He’s top five greatest producers of all time.

PR: Thank you, sir.

SD: That’s inspirational within itself… So, just being able to prove myself to Pete was just — it was better than proving myself to any hip-hop fan. No disrespect to the hip-hop fans, but this is Pete Rock.

OKP: Pete, same question… How has working with Smoke DZA inspired you?

PR: He didn’t really have to prove himself to me because he was already buzzing on the streets and I was hearing his name out there. I just never got a chance to listen to his music. And one day I did and then we had a friendship for a while through someone I was working with. We had met and became really cool. And, y’know, it is easy when you can rap. For me, it’s like if you can rhyme, you can be my friend.

OKP: How did you guys meet?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
SD: We met fukking years ago [when] I used to carry Pete’s crates to get in the club, man [laughs].

PR: Exactly [laughs].

SD: We met before Harlem got gentrified.

OKP: “It’s a vibe. It’s a painting. It’s a moment,” you say, Smoke. Can you explain how this project symbolizes these three things for you?

SD: I feel like [this album] is a painting that a lot of people haven’t seen in a while. It is a vibe that a lot of people haven’t had in a while. And it is a moment that people haven’t had in a while. It’s all of the three. I think it is probably the best work [that] I’ve ever done as a lyrical artist and the best production I’ve ever had.

Like I’ve never endured something like what I got—even when it came to the features. It was the first time where I went nine for 10 on the features that I wanted. You know what I mean?! It wasn’t something where I’m like, ‘Damn, I wish I would’ve had this dude on this,’ because I actually got it. So, it is kind of hard moving forward after I scored on what I really wanted to do.

Of course, you know [there’s] more shyt that I wanna do and more artists that I respect and have friendships with that I’d like to have on this album, but we have a UNIW 2 coming soon. Sheesh, the lineup on this [album]… this is a dream project.

OKP: The press release states that this album represents a “pre-gentrified” Harlem. What does that sound like?

SD: Well, that sounds like…

PR: Soul.

SD: It sounds like soul, you know what I mean? You can’t even really describe the sound other than saying “soul”. That’s just where it comes from. That is the type of music [that] I love. That’s what I grew up hearing my father play. His 45s and vinyl of Marvin [Gaye], Al Green and Otis Redding. That was the vibe that I had in my household when I was a child. So, you know that is kind of embedded within me. Making this type of project with the Soul Brother #1 is like you can’t go wrong.

OKP: How do you think you managed to capture that sound? That feeling?

PR: I guess just like knowing what Harlem looks like and riding through the town… the blackness of it. What it was from the ’70s to the ’80s to now. It was a dramatic change, y’know? Because Harlem actually used to be way more dangerous. And you see all kinds of people living there now, so… it’s a good thing. I captured those times in this album—when hip-hop clubs were first starting.

In the ’80s, you had these hip-hop clubs like Club 2000, The Rooftop, Latin Quarter and The Fever. All of these places that hip-hop dwelled in—they’re landmarks and they’re legendary. It is history and that is kind of what I see and capture as I’m making beats or listening to the music that I make that I think Smoke would sound good on. Being that he’s from Harlem, I felt [it] was easy for me because I hung out in Harlem a lot. Like a lot, a lot.

OKP: Is there a war between the old and the new players in hip-hop? Or is it more of a collaborative effort between the two?

PR: Media can make anything possible, but it’s never [been] a war. Sometimes we have [different] opinions about music. Y’know, we kinda criticize the younger generation with their music. It [the music] has changed and we weren’t ready for the change. But you know what? I feel now that I’m in it, y’know? I like it because I love music and I’m [just] as passionate about music and production and beats [as I was when I first started].

I just want to melt [my style] with the young generation and let the world know that in hip-hop there’s more to be heard… and to never say something is “old school.” You can call it “old school,” but music is music and it should all be heard and appreciated. Smoke has had a nice period that he’s been working from and I’ve been around for years. So, you know, he’s experienced in one way and I’m experienced in another and we just combine.

I immediately wanted to work with Smoke after hearing his music, so I was excited to do it. I just knew it would be something.

OKP: DZA, you said as “diehard” New Yorkers it was important for you to make a record that “embraces what New York feels like.” How did you turn that into a sound?

SD: I don’t think you can make “what New York feels like” into a sound. I think you just gotta embody that. Like me and Pete embody New York city. There’s a lot of music [out] here and there are a lot of people from New York who make different types of music, which isn’t a bad thing because people are inspired by different ages of hip-hop, y’know? I’m an older guy. I am 32, so I come from the era of Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Biggie Smalls, Jay Z, DMX, The LOX and Wu-Tang.

That’s what I care to carry [on]. Those are the guys that I watched at the forefront, so it is easy for me to embody that because I actually still live in New York. I still run around and do everything I do in New York, but I travel the world so I’m taking my experiences from New York [around the globe]. I’m not just giving it to New York because this ain’t just for New York. This is for the world. I want the world to know what New York sounds like.

You can’t tell them what it sounds like… you gotta give it to them. I think after they hear Don’ Smoke Rock it’ll be like, ‘Well, this is what New York sounds like [and] this is what we need to keep up with.’

OKP: You have a pretty impressive list of features on this album. Can you kind of explain why chose the rappers you did for the particular songs?

SD: I respect every artist that is on this album. We have relationships with all these people, so it really wasn’t something that was like farfetched. It was just basically putting together the best body of work with who we felt could rap on these records. And, as you see, there aren’t too many New York people on the album. We just wanted to make [Don’t Smoke Rock] a great project.

It didn’t really matter where you were from—you just had to be able to rap. It was about rappers. This is a rapper’s album. If you’re looking for singles and all that type of shyt then this ain’t it. This is the shyt that you’ll listen to when you wanna think or when you wanna vibe. When you gotta good little car ride or whatever and you need a soundtrack—this is what Don’t Smoke Rock is. This is a moment.

This ain’t something that can be un-organically created. This is that real shyt.

PR: I feel the same. [Don’t Smoke Rock] is the kind of album that you can just vibe out to from A-to-Z. It is one of those things where on a nice day, you can pop it in and feel good about yourself listening to it.

OKP: What do you want fans to get out of this project? What’s the takeaway?

SD: That lyrics still matter…

PR: …and beats still matter.

SD: That you don’t really gotta force shyt down people’s throats for them to understand it…

PR: The big takeaway is knowledge. Lyrics. People saying something actually. Something that my child can learn from even if there’s cursing. Because eventually your child’s gonna grow up and curse anyway. We all do it here and there. But, y’know, something that people can understand lyrically and musically. Don’t Smoke Rock is just about making something that’s good for your soul. Something that makes you feel nice and warm.