Rappers/Albums That Put Up Big Numbers But Lacked The Cultural Impact To Match

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
too many things are getting lost in translation now.

there needs to be a thread for this. dont be shy folks. lets hurt some feelings in here too.

im gonna start it off with dr dre 2001. big numbers, critical acclaim from the mags, but culturally, it wasnt a top-tier run.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It wasn't just big numbers and critical acclaim. The Up in Smoke Tour was a big deal. It was pretty successful and showed that if you can get the right mix of talent together a hip-hop tour can sellout arenas just as a rock band or singer can. Plus, it was relatively low on violence, just everyone out there having a great time.. Trying to minimize the impact of that run is stupid. It's partially the reason why hip-hop artists can do big dates in big cities. And yeah, like it or not Eminem was part of that too.

:snoop:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
It wasn't just big numbers and critical acclaim. The Up in Smoke Tour was a big deal. It was pretty successful and showed that if you can get the right mix of talent together a hip-hop tour can sellout arenas just as a rock band or singer can. Plus, it was relatively low on violence, just everyone out there having a great time.. Trying to minimize the impact of that run is stupid. It's partially the reason why hip-hop artists can do big dates in big cities. And yeah, like it or not Eminem was part of that too.

:snoop:

hip-hop tours were selling out arenas long before the "up in smoke tour". in fact, there was a more culturally impactful tour selling out arenas right before it.

the ruff ryder/cash money tour was the REAL big ticket that year.

up in smoke tour was for the white folks. lets be reality.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
some poster that i never heard of(and he wont dare try to post in this thread) done already negged me.

feelings are already getting hurt. i luv it.

that good ole real talk.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Thank you for proving that you don't know shyt about what we're discussing. None of those dates had a majority white turnout.

yes they did.

dont try to lie dog. youll just expose yourself.

eminem and a bunch of :flabbynsick: rappers tryna advance.

i remember when they added legs to the tour but ice cube had prior committments. we used to joke and say that he pulled out of the tour because he had a bad back.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Whichever Nelly album it was that went diamond. His songs were great in the club but growing up I never knew anybody that knew any non-single Nelly songs. Ppl weren't reciting lyrics on his album or nothing.

Actually Air force ones did have somewhat of an impact

hmm.....i cant agree or disagree with that one.

thats a tough call cuz nelly was just a jam rapper, and he succeeded at doing such. they never tried to pass him off as a guy that was running the game.

plus alot of people was rockin with that 1st album.

BUT, technically he does qualify for the thread, the way you put it so hey. i cant argue against it either.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
The better question is when did the streets start embracing lowest common denominator music? In other words, when did the streets and quality divorce?