GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
It's a country and each tribe is it's own area with it's own cultures. That's like saying different cities/territories in any real-life country don't have their own culture and dialect. AND like @Mic-Nificent said, it's a fictional country from a comic book in a world with radioactive spider-man, green behemoths, aliens, anthropomorphic trees and animals, planet hoping and men that don't age. Get outta here with that grounded in reality stuff.
smh y'all not african do you even understand how african nations came to be, a country like nigeria was NEVER meant to exist. man y'all say you woke but y'all really don't understand jack

also stop using the word tribe because we are not a fukkin tribe, thats some c00n shyt

yes its fictional but they premise was what would happened if colonialism never touched wakanda and the way they went about was wrong

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire

Tariq Nasheed said they're "playing on stereotypes" by having the lip plate man.

Wakanda is located in East Africa where the Mursi and Surma people practice this, (no matter how "small" those people are).

(And I do think it's only practiced by women, though)

But instead of seeing it as Pan-Africanism (by attempting to show more than several African ethnic cultures at once), certain people see it as "stereotyping". But it's not steretyoping to pull from ACTUAL cultures.

These aren't vague and typically bland racist shyt like grass skirts or mud huts. These are very specific references to particular and REAL African ethinc groups. Wakanda is fake, but the people are REAL.

I credit Priest and Coates with attempting to assert actual African cultures into their runs (not sure what Hudlin really did in his), which nontheless helped Coogler and inspired him to also do his research in a similar fashion.

This is why I say this film is only going to really click for FANS. If you're not a fan, you're just not going to get this. BP is not a movie you can just make face value critques about if you're jumping in with no knowledge on the source material.

Last edited:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
smh y'all not african do you even understand how african nations came to be, a country like nigeria was NEVER meant to exist. man y'all say you woke but y'all really don't understand jack

also stop using the word tribe because we are not a fukkin tribe, thats some c00n shyt

yes its fictional but they premise was what would happened if colonialism never touched wakanda and the way they went about was wrong

Yeah people gotta stop using the term "tribe".

3 million people ain't no fukking tribe.

But Wakanda is an ancient country that has a vast history of culture and religion tied to its identity.

Wakanda's culture is actually more based on religion -- which doesn't need colonialism for people to divide one another in a hetergenous manner . The reason there is a "Black Panther" in the first place is because of a deity (Bast) that people associated with the Vibranium they found in the metorite crash. The people of this religion (the Black Panther Cult) rule over the other groups (such as M'Baku's groupwho worship Ahkere the white gorilla).

The "tribes" in Wakanda are more like people from different cities or neighborhoods... Wakanda's people are all one ethnicity. They're never stated in lore to be of different ethncities.

I think you're getting confused. You're seeing the examples of Mursi people, or the Hausa people, or the Xhosa people as actually being those people but they aren't. Wakanda is supposed to be a fantasy amalgamation of all those people.

Last edited:

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Yeah people gotta stop using the term "tribe".

3 million people ain't no fukking tribe.

But Wakanda is an ancient country that had a vast history of culture and religion.

Wakanda's culture is actually more based on religion,which doesn't need colonialism for people to divide one another in a hetergenous manner . The reason there is a "Black Panther" in the first place is because of a deity (Bast) that people associated with the Vibranium they found in the metorite crash. The people of this religion (the Black Panther Cult) rule over the other groups (such as M'Baku's group who worship Ahkere).
:ohhh: oh that makes sense then
T

But instead of seeing it as Pan-Africanism (by attempting to show more than several African ethnic cultures at once), certain people see it as "stereotyping". But it's not steretyoping to pull from ACTUAL cultures. These aren't vague and typically bland racist shyt like grass skirts or mud huts. These are very specific references to particular and REAL African ethinc groups. Wakanda is fake, but the people are REAL.
which is why i said mixing the cultures may have not been the best initially

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

You're not a comic book reader. I say tribes because they are called tribes in Wakanda in the MU. T'Challa is the king of Wakanda, a large country composed of different tribes - he lives in the capitol city but outside there it is composed of different cultures that mostly believe in the laws of the kingdom. The same laws apply to all rules of the lands. I don't say I'm "woke" never - that's a BS trend to me. So you are telling me that each region in Africa doesn't have it's own dialect and culture? Even those that are in the same country but only a few acres over? I'm not African, you're right. I'm Philly Philly, but if that is the case, then the entire continent of Africa is completely different than the rest of the world. Every region/city of every country consists of different dialect, influences and cultures. Hell, the location itself establishes the differences. And it's fictional with it's main natural resource being vibranium. You're tryna ground it in reality.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
You're not a comic book reader. I say tribes because they are called tribes in Wakanda in the MU. T'Challa is the king of Wakanda, a large country composed of different tribes - he lives in the capitol city but outside there it is composed of different cultures that mostly believe in the laws of the kingdom. The same laws apply to all rules of the lands. I don't say I'm "woke" never - that's a BS trend to me. So you are telling me that each region in Africa doesn't have it's own dialect and culture? Even those that are in the same country but only a few acres over? I'm not African, you're right. I'm Philly Philly, but if that is the case, then the entire continent of Africa is completely different than the rest of the world. Every region/city of every country consists of different dialect, influences and cultures. Hell, the location itself establishes the differences. And it's fictional with it's main natural resource being vibranium. You're tryna ground it in reality.
see nah comics can be wrong, again the people who wrote this weren't african so they have no idea how nuanced africa is as whole

you have people in wakanda with mursi lips which only really a small sect of african people practice that is why it bugs me becuase then everyone thinks that we do this as whole when really it's just that ethnic group

you tell a yoruba man he's the same as a zulu man or you tell an habesha they like igbos and see if you won't catch hands, this is not a joke to some of us

again a different tribe just doesn't mean a different dialect, a different tribe means different language, food, customs, and heritage which why is why i say stop using the word tribe because at this point in time we are not a tribe we can actually be our own nations if we decided to secede and abandon these stupid european drawn lines

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
:ohhh: oh that makes sense then

which is why i said mixing the cultures may have not been the best initially

I mean it's either that approach or going with Stan Lee's (or the rest of the white writer's) original conception of an African nation that had no semblence of an actual African culture besides "tribes" and deity worship. :manny:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
you have people in wakanda with mursi lips which only really a small sect of african people practice that is why it bugs me becuase then everyone thinks that we do this as whole when really it's just that ethnic group

Only people with no knowledge on African peoples would think that. And it's only one dude shown with that lip plate.

Did you miss the twitter post that pointed out the direct influences they pulled from different groups?

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Look through the thread I already acknowledge that came from the Coates run. All that other shyt you were pointing out though came LONG before Coates even knew about Black Panther.

But you did say vigorously there was nothing from Coates in this movie. And there's 3.

You went out of your way to shyt on Coates even though he himself stated there wasn't going to be any direct influence plot-wise on the movie.

Last edited:

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Only people with no knowledge on African peoples would think that. And it's only one dude shown with that lip plate.

Did you miss the twitter post that pointed out the direct influences they pulled from different groups?
i seen it right after, didn't know you did an edit until after i posted

imma still watch this movie regardless, but i'm be on some :ufdup: if i hear shyt from the audience

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I think EW got it wrong....Look at it closely

2rVZWVL

Notice he's got the same shield and is wearing the same shorts.

2rWhjpe

2rbAoqi

That's Chadwick Boseman in those shots, wearing the same shorts and carrying the same shield.
:picard::lupe:
7a32097eeab7affe9627c3f0ddef9247.jpg

tumblr_oast2uFRft1u496xso5_400.jpg

Last edited:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Not sure if i fukk with this trailer.

What country is wakanda being based off? The trailer has different African cultures mixed in. I'm not Fan of that maybe it's the biafran in me but I wish they chose a solid culture to stick to instead mixing it up
iona bout all that but who's the broad in ur avi, bluud? :dwillhuh:

instagram link will be fine:coffee: