Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Chadwick Boseman Says His Black Panther Will Be an 'Anti-Hero' Superhero

Click HERE for the video.

Black Panther, meet Walter White?

According to star Chadwick Boseman, his onscreen version of the famed Marvel Comics character will have some "anti-hero" traits when Black Panther arrives on screen in 2018.

"This is an anti-hero, sort of," Boseman said inside the PEOPLE/EW/InStyle portrait studio at the Toronto International Film Festival on Friday, using a term used often reserved for characters like White on Breaking Bad, Tony Soprano on The Sopranos and Don Draper on Mad Men. "I feel like although he is a superhero, he is a super anti-hero."

Boseman is in Toronto to promote the revenge thriller Message from the King, in which he stars alongside Teresa Palmer, and Luke Evans as a South African man who comes to Los Angeles looking for the people responsible for the death of his sister. The 39-year-old star says the film, which had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on Thursday, includes an invisible connection to Black Panther: Boseman's dialect coach.

"I ended up using the same dialect coach I had from Message from a King, who worked with me personally along with Marvel's dialect coach on Black Panther," Boseman said of his Panther prep work. "Those are two characters based in continental Africa, so some of that cultural aspect of it, the swagger, parts of the dialect you may use – that cultural exploration is definitely something that transferred over [from one role to the next]."

Boseman made his debut as Black Panther in May's Captain America: Civil War, and will appear in the standalone movie Black Panther, to be released February 16, 2018. Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, and Michael B. Jordan are set as costars.

Asked if he felt different putting on Black Panther's suit for the movie, Boseman joked, "I'm Black Panther even outside the suit."
A Black hero in the real world cannot be a idealistic hero like Captain America and Superman. It's just not possible in this day and age.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
I wonder who Micheal B Jordan's character is? No one in the Priest run I am familiar with fits his mold.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So did T'Challa eat dat magical herb already before/during Civil War timeline or dat gon happen in his dolo film?:jbhmm:

I know he was doin all kinds of dope shyt but was dat because he was off dat herb or just his naturally trained skills? :leostare:

He already ate the herb. He was the BP in Civil War.

On certain occasions the title of ruler and BP can be seperate. In this case, T'Chaka was still alive so he eventually retired as BP, passing the mantle down to T'Challa.

However, T'Chaka was still the King so he served under that title. T'Challa, though a BP, was still a Prince when we first see him in Civil War. He becomes King when T'Chaka gets assassinated.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
He was super buff. MJB has already proven he can get his weight up in Creed so I'm not worried
Dammnit I haven't seen Creed. I wonder can he pull off a menacing, physical assassin like Kilmonger was.

And I wonder who will be pulling the strings. Achebe? Claw?

Unless he takes the herb, he cannot go toe-to-toe with this Tchalla. SO I wonder what his backstory will be

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Exactly. Spawn's face and his whole history was so fukked up that it was hard to want to be that. I always maintain that Spawn is a classic example of them trying to do too much instead of keeping it simple... and marketable. The origin itself was gold: soldier was betrayed, killed, made a deal with the devil out of desperation to see his wife again but naturally got fukked over and now is fighting that devil while figuring out who betrayed him and dealin with being placed in a future where his wife long since re-married b/c he had been dead for years. That's some engaging shyt that hits on multiple levels.

But they fukked it up by making him an abusive husband, an a$$hole soldier, and fukking over his face to where he looks like a bug zombie. Not to mention goin overboard at times with the religious stuff.

On the flipside, Black Panther has all the tools for any type of kid to want to be him. He's essentially the Green Ranger to Captain America's Red Ranger.
spawn is the most the successful( most popular and selling property) super black "hero" in his time, one of the best comicbook charcters of all time

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
spawn is the most the successful( most popular and selling property) super black "hero" in his time, one of the best comicbook charcters of all time

Also one of the few Black heroes that's above street level.

I wasn't heavy into Spawn during the 90's. I remember always seeing the character everywhere and the toys in the store. It wasn't until the film came out that I found out he was Black and it had me like :ohhh:. At that time I was so pleasantly shocked to see a cool ass looking character turn out to be Black. I had never seen that up to that point.

On the flipside, Black Panther has all the tools for any type of kid to want to be him. He's essentially the Green Ranger to Captain America's Red Ranger.

I was a huge Red Ranger stan when Power Rangers dropped, as soon as Tommy/Green Ranger showed up and he gave the entire crew that work, he became an instant favorite. Red Ranger was :flabbynsick: status after that.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
And as great as Spawn was... b/c he truly was on fire in his hey day due to that costume and concept... which, again, was golden... he fizzled imo bc of questionable (garbage) creative decisions, convoluted story telling and they even swapped him out for a white guy for a handful of years before they just brought Al back a few months ago.

Not to mention he spent a chunk of his time lookin like a bug zombie instead of a black man. And i say this as someone who loved Spawn... or well, who loved the animated series with Keith David/Goliath voicing him. Also why i say BP can be even more of a trend setting black hero without any of those compromises that Spawn was shackled with.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
It's Wakanda Wednesday brehs. BP #6 is out.

xOBqOo5.gif

Will post my thoughts once I read the book.