Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I thought MBJ did very well and how they formulated MCU Erik was just superb writing by Ryan and Robert. That said, I felt Boseman gave an acting clinic in carrying the movie but how great he was and how he elevated his cast in shared scenes may not be as apparent at first because the movie is meant for both a theater crowd experience and independent viewing.

If you watch it with a responsive theater crowd, Winston, Letitia, and MBJ have the best one-liners and punch lines; laugh out loud comedic moments, and that's credit to their great delivery. But watch it with an older, laid back/grandma crowd... or just by yourself... and you notice how well the film still holds up even without the "cue audience applause" moments.. and a lot of that is the great acting by Chad giving the film a very strong foundation.

Really the entire cast did a great job of transitioning from comedic to serious again.
The entire cast did great but you can see the level in acting talent between Chadwick & MBJ when they are face to face in the throne room. MBJ was great but Chadwick really sold his subdued anger in that scene.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
The entire cast did great but you can see the level in acting talent between Chadwick & MBJ when they are face to face in the throne room. MBJ was great but Chadwick really sold his subdued anger in that scene.
MBJ is a try too hard.

Movie wqs overrated imo. I believe the Iron Man movies to still be the best Marvel movies.

At 1 point I just smh and said of course this would turn into n1ggaz fightin n1ggaz :snoop:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps

I wonder where this will go:mjpls:

Wouldn't be surprised if Peter interns at the center Shuri runs in Oakland in the next Spiderman movie and it becomes the first Spider-man movie that has significant scenes outside of New York. Have Spidey running down Compton:skip: with Shuri helping him wipe out some enemies trying to steal Wakandan tech or whatever.

Teammups are the business now.

Code

Banned
Daps
tumblr_npjsnqufNC1so3jdgo1_500.jpg

They're not risking a billion dollar franchise for some bullshyt fam

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@MooseMouthMthafuga @flo @Diasporan Royalty @hex @Primetime

At 1hr 8 min is a good listen about MBJ's performance in Black Panther.
‘Creed’ With Bill Simmons, Wesley Morris, Sean Fennessey, and K. Austin Collins
They do like his performance but have some thoughts.
-Mentioned how when he shares a scene with Boseman or actors more seasoned than him you can see that there are some layers missing.
- He's at 10 all the time. Mentioned how Stallone in Creed wasn't, but had so much gravitas.
- How every other actor in Black Panther is a classically trained actor. Mentioned Winston Duke.
- Would like to see him working with other great directors. Learn some new things and then come back to Coogler.
- However, the choice of the character is like Boyz N the Hood (Tre?) if they were to be conditioned through the military.
- Also, you can make the case that Jordan is actually the avatar for Ryan Coogler.
- People talk about the lack of refinement of Jordan in comparison to the other actors. However, it resembles how Coogler is with interviews, etc. Where he just who he is.
- An outsider to the whats the expected norm, but who is not going to change who he is. That's the same with the choices they went for the character.

I think in their discussion that they are right. People can talk about if MBJ's performance works for them or not. Most agree that the characterization is strong. MBJ's performance is a reflection of Ryan Coogler and the choices they went with.

That's why it worked for me. Cause he adds a different dimension to the rest of the film/characters. Boseman is the subtle and polish. MBJ is pure energy and lack of refinement adds to the character. That helps with the ying and yang. The lack of layers (as an actor) goes along with the things he missed out on as a character.

Imo MBJ would have struggled with no Coogler, but with Coogler it works and has the best brought out of him.

Even if Boseman is a better actor than MBJ it wasn't obvious in this movie. I think when they talk about "layers" they aren't taking into account that Killmonger is a kid from the hood dealing with nobility....the people born and raised in Wakanda are going to have "layers" and a kid from Oakland would be more blunt and direct. I never got the vibe that MBJ couldn't act or didn't have range. I got the vibe that Killmonger had a limited range of emotions based on who he is.

That's just my opinion though. :manny:

Fred.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I thought MBJ did very well and how they formulated MCU Erik was just superb writing by Ryan and Robert. That said, I felt Boseman gave an acting clinic in carrying the movie but how great he was and how he elevated his cast in shared scenes may not be as apparent at first because the movie is meant for both a theater crowd experience and independent viewing.

If you watch it with a responsive theater crowd, Winston, Letitia, and MBJ have the best one-liners and punch lines; laugh out loud comedic moments, and that's credit to their great delivery. But watch it with an older, laid back/grandma crowd... or just by yourself... and you notice how well the film still holds up even without the "cue audience applause" moments.. and a lot of that is the great acting by Chad giving the film a very strong foundation.

Really the entire cast did a great job of transitioning from comedic to serious again.

I've said it before, but Boseman may have given the best "hero" performance since maybe Downey in Iron Man or Bale in Batman Begins. I haven't seen a performance that skilled in a while. Shame he gets overlooked.
Even if Boseman is a better actor than MBJ it wasn't obvious in this movie. I think when they talk about "layers" they aren't taking into account that Killmonger is a kid from the hood dealing with nobility....the people born and raised in Wakanda are going to have "layers" and a kid from Oakland would be more blunt and direct. I never got the vibe that MBJ couldn't act or didn't have range. I got the vibe that Killmonger had a limited range of emotions based on who he is.

That's just my opinion though. :manny:

Fred.

I feel ya. This is where I go back and forth on just how well Coogler set up things to highlight MBJ's strengths. I think he could possibly be the best villain performance since the Joker, but there are a few times I thought he could have delivered the lines better. I just think some things unintentionally worked because with his backstory you can see how he could be a try hard.

They were saying in the podcast that MBJ is just so eager to not be upstaged or let a scene be stolen.

They all killed it imo.

A more seasoned actor its probably a totally different character. Chiwetel or even Nate Parker (Never would happen) would have made Killmonger seem more heroic and challenging for the viewer to see who is right.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I've said it before, but Boseman may have given the best "hero" performance since maybe Downey in Iron Man or Bale in Batman Begins. I haven't seen a performance that skilled in a while. Shame he gets overlooked.

I feel ya. This is where I go back and forth on just how well Coogler set up things to highlight MBJ's strengths. I think he could possibly be the best villain performance since the Joker, but there are a few times I thought he could have delivered the lines better. I just think some things unintentionally worked because with his backstory you can see how he could be a try hard.

They were saying in the podcast that MBJ is just so eager to not be upstaged or let a scene be stolen.

They all killed it imo.

A more seasoned actor its probably a totally different character. Chiwetel or even Nate Parker (Never would happen) would have made Killmonger seem more heroic and challenging for the viewer to see who is right.

Another thing is, Coogler is a great director. And actors only do what they're told, improvisation aside. Even then, the director still gotta OK it. So he obviously seen something in MBJ's performance that connected with how he envisioned Killmonger.

I don't know much about MBJ's back ground but a classically trained or more seasoned actor....I dunno. It might seem artificial. Killmonger didn't have much range but I bought the character.

Fred.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Killmonger was a kid from Oakland. No dad. Made it to MIT. Then spent years in the army. He sounded how an educated nikka from Oakland should sound. The scene at the museum showed that he wasn't stupid. Then the scenes where he broke Klaw out and then shot his crew up showed he was hardbody too. But at the end of the day T'Challa grew up wealthy in Wakanda around other wealthy elite. Killmonger grew up dodging bullets and crooked police. Completely different worldviews. Him not being as "polished" as the others also plays up the fact that he's an outsider. It was also clearly the direction they were going with him, as at the end of the movie after getting stabbed up, you see that he was still just an angry kid. I had no problem with MBJ's performance. If anything, they should've gave him more scenes.