Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Jordan Brand Classic standouts

The Jordan Brand Classic was played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Friday.

This game is always filled with future NBA talent and usually has the No. 1 pick in a future NBA draft.

Twenty-two of the country's elite players went head to head for likely the last time before they meet again in college. There were so many impressive plays and highlights, so let's take a look at what we learned from the event.

1.The big men made this game special

Five of the top 10 players in the country are big men, and they showcased their talents in Brooklyn.

The twin towers from Chicago stole the show, as ESPN No. 1 Jahlil Okafor (29 points, nine rebounds) and ESPN No. 3 Cliff Alexander(23 points, eight rebounds and five blocks) dominated a guard's game. Okafor was a machine on the block with his fluid footwork and soft hands. His soft touch and his ability to run the floor and get some transition points was a big step in the right direction.

Alexander was blocking everything in sight, finished at the rim and made a 3-point shot.

Okafor ended his high school career with a state championship and victories at the McDonald's Game, Nike Hoop Summit and the Jordan Brand Classic game. Okafor (Whitney Young) and Alexander (Curie) are rivals in the Chicago public league, but they teammates in the summer as they play for the Mac Irvin Fire. Trey Lyles (17 points, six rebounds) made some nice moves from the high post and near the rim to show off his power forward body with mobility and finesse. Karl Towns Jr. (9 points, 7 rebounds) demonstrated uncommon skill as a true 7-foot center. He nailed one jumper from the NBA line, and on another possession, he made a behind-the-back pass that lead to a layup. He also put in work on the glass. This group of big men will certainly enhance the state of college basketball next season.

2. Stanley Johnson will make an impact at Arizona.

Johnson set the tone early in this matchup by knocking down a pair of 3-point shots and dishing out an assist, all of which came minutes after the jump ball. His approach to the game and his motor has been his calling card. In the Jordan Brand Classic, he scored with a selective jumper and power drives. He was playing with a purpose and passion, which was evident as he finished with 25 points, including 3-for-5 on 3s. Now that Aaron Gordon and Nick Johnson have declared for the NBA draft, it's obvious that Johnson will have an early impact at Arizona. His body and his mind are in the right frame, and that's such a huge part of the adjustment process.

One Eastern Conference NBA scout said: "Stanley has a chance to be like Ron Artest [Metta World Peace] because he is so strong, and he is better offensively at the same stage." Johnson finished the game with 24 points (3-for-5 on 3s with three assists) in 25 minutes.

3. Tyus Jones values the ball.

I recognizes that in all-star games, there is little to no individual or team defense. But for Jones, it's always about creating for others through his exceptional passing vision. It is what continues to separate him from his peers. In 22 minutes, he had more assists (12) than points (10) and only two turnovers. Over a three-game span at McDonald's, Nike Hoop Summit and the Jordan Brand Classic, he combined for 28 assists and just six turnovers.

4. Skilled scorers are heading to the college game.

Fifteen of the 22 players at the Jordan Brand Classic scored in double figures. Everyone played, but some only played in the high-teens (as far as minutes) and still managed to score. Also, the East and West rosters shot 18-for-48 (37.5 percent) from beyond the arc. Its exciting to see talent who can shoot from different positions coming to college basketball next season. The top- level big men can all score, and some can even shoot. That makes the class unique, but the value and depth in the group is the versatility of the shooting guards and small forwards. This senior class is filled with high-level skill players more than those with elite athletic ability.

5. Kelly Oubre and Justin Jackson are gaining attention.

NBA scouts are already interested and intrigued in Oubre and Jackson because of their size and skill.

An NBA Eastern Conference scout said this about both players: "Oubre can become an NBA 2-guard as he handles it well enough and can make jumpers with good length.

"Jackson is a much better athlete than I had known. [He] shoots it well from different spots on the floor."

The Class of 2014 will enter college basketball as an underrated group as far as NBA potential. It is a class which could surprise and excite many fans next season and for seasons to come.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Jabari Parker favored for No. 1 pick
Among 30 NBA executives, Parker is chosen over Embiid and Wiggins

It's almost assumed these days that the top overall pick in the NBA draft will come out of the Kansas program, whether it's Andrew Wiggins or freshman teammate Joel Embiid.

However, in an ESPN poll of 30 NBA executives, it was Duke's Jabari Parker who racked up more votes than both Wiggins and Embiid.

Wiggins entered the season as the consensus favorite to be the first to shake new commissioner Adam Silver's hand on June 26 at the NBA draft.

Early on I cautioned those who already had anointed Wiggins, the ultra-athletic Canadian, as the top overall pick. It didn't take long for people to realize that Parker, the Blue Devils' skilled forward, also was in the equation for the top spot. Then a third freshman, the 7-foot Embiid, thrust himself into the mix.

Embiid, a native of Cameroon, moved his way into the forefront of the conversation early in league play, a skilled big man who possessed the key words for NBA scouts: size and upside. But then came his back issues, the ones that kept him out of the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments -- and most people seemed to naturally revert back to where it all began: Wiggins.

However, after polling 30 NBA executives shortly after all three players had officially declared for the draft -- from numerous GMs to player personnel guys and NBA scouts -- you might be surprised at the results of who they would choose No. 1 overall:

Jabari Parker: 17 votes
Joel Embiid: 8 votes
Andrew Wiggins: 5 votes

Obviously, it will depend on the team and the general manager who winds up getting the No. 1 pick. Wiggins could still go with the top selection due to his high ceiling and athleticism, but many NBA folks are worried about his lack of consistency, whether he possesses a killer instinct and also whether he can get by defenders in the half court.

Most NBA guys gush at Embiid due to his size and potential -- but there's a huge lingering concern with the recent back issues. Right now many NBA executives would go with Parker because he's the safe selection, the known commodity. Sure, they might not feel he has quite the upside of Wiggins or Embiid -- but they do also see Parker as a potential perennial NBA All-Star.

In short, they trust Parker.

Milwaukee has the most ping-pong balls in the May 20 draft lottery, with Philadelphia, Orlando, Utah and Boston rounding out the top five. Team needs probably won't be much of a factor, since most, if not all of those teams, won't pass on whoever they consider to be the best player of the trio.

"This is about as close of a top three as I've seen in a long, long time," said one veteran general manager. "It really does depend on who gets the top pick and whether they are willing to take a risk or not."

"I think one GM would go with Parker, another would go with Embiid and another with Wiggins," added another. "No one knows who will go first right now."

Parker is the low-risk selection, a 6-foot-8 forward who can score in just about every way on the court. Many compare him to Carmelo Anthony, and many feel he's a sure thing at the next level because of his skill set, basketball IQ and demeanor.

Embiid has been playing basketball for just a few years, but he has made tremendous progress, and could give a franchise what has become a rarity these days in the NBA: a skilled, tough, big man who can impact the game on both ends of the court.

Wiggins is a tremendous athlete who has an improved perimeter shot, but his greatest asset comes in transition and also on the defensive end. There are several comparisons -- from Tracy McGrady to Rudy Gay to DeMar DeRozan to Corey Brewer.

Here are several comments from NBA executives on why they would take Parker, Embiid and Wiggins with the top pick:

On Parker:

"Skill, skill skill, feel and character. He is tougher than you think. A winner."

"He's the most ready to play in the league."

"Best combination of highest floor with still a high ceiling."

"He is the most NBA ready and will be a solid pro for many years, an All-Star, Olympian, etc. He can play any style."

"He's a Carmelo Anthony-type offensive player, but huge deficit defensively. Hopefully he's more into team and winning than Melo."

"I just trust him more than the other two guys."

"I'm unsure of Embiid's health and I just think Jabari has better intangibles than Wiggins."

On Embiid:

"Skilled size always has to go first. There aren't many guys that size with that potential. He has a chance to be a difference-maker at both ends."

"He changes the game with his length, athleticism and motor -- and he has a developing offensive game."

"He has an extremely high ceiling, a huge heart, great character and tremendous work ethic."

"I'm taking Embiid -- as long as his back checks out."

On Wiggins:

"He has more upside and his game will translate better in the NBA."

"He has elite athleticism -- which in the NBA to a special degree is rewarded by the rules and style of play. He has a decent skill set that he can improve on, he is a good kid and he wants to be a player. Major question for me is whether there are any killer instincts - like Jordan and Kobe."

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Biancardi's breakdown: Position separation

The Jordan Brand Classic featured much of the nation’s top talent.

Obviously, a number of players operate at the same position. That said, each brings a different aspect at the spot. Let’s take a look at some of the best and break down how they are different and impactful.

Different points
Tyus Jones (Duke) , Emmanuel Mudiay (SMU) and Tyler Ulis (Kentucky)
All three point guards will have a great impact on their respective teams next near. Jones runs a team while processing the game and performing at a high level. That in itself is so hard to accomplish at a young age but that’s what makes him the best pure point in the game. Mudiay has room for growth when it comes to reading a defense, but he is not that far away. Blessed with physical tools that can’t be taught, he is almost unstoppable in the open floor as a great up-tempo lead guard. Ulis is never shot-happy but can make open shots when the defense leaves him open. But his strength is he’s always probing a defense looking for that next assist, finding ways to get his teammates a shot.

Separation of the big men
Jahlil Okafor (Duke), Myles Turner (undecided), Cliff Alexander (Kansas), Trey Lyles (Kentucky) and Karl Towns Jr. (Kentucky)
When watching the Jordan Brand game you could not help but notice that no one player in the game or in practice could stop Okafor inside. The No. 1 big man owned the blocks. His body is shaping up into where he can run the floor in consecutive trips like never before. With room to grow and improve he can be a dominant force inside and develop a short jumper with a high-percentage free throw. No one gives you a return on your investment down low like Okafor. Turner did not play due to a sprained ankle, but when you need a shot blocked or altered as well as a face-up jumper, Turner is the best in those areas. Alexander will catch the ball off the glass and rebound it stronger and more quickly than any other player in the class inside or outside of his space. When the ball needs to be finished on a drop-off pass or a lob dunk, he is a man amongst boys. Lyles can score facing up or with his back to the basket. Towns is a jump-shot guy now with a post-up game waiting to happen, and when it does he could be the best of the group.

The diversity of the wings
Stanley Johnson (Arizona), Justin Jackson (North Carolina), Kelly Oubre (Kansas), Justise Winslow (Duke), Shaqquan Aaron (Louisville)
Johnson is all about power, strength along with skill. He can be impactful no matter the pace of a game with his body and IQ. Jackson will never beat you with his body right now, but his scoring instincts are among the highest in the entire class. If I need someone to get 20 points in a 40-minute game I would call on Jackson’s finesse and length to accomplish the mission. Oubre is oozing with upside as his game is fluid and flexible. He went 3 of 4 on the 3-point shot, finishes plays inside and can become a shot blocker/defender with his bounce and wing span. Winslow contributes to every game with his defensive and rebounding consistency. Aaron is a strength coach and training table away from producing big for Louisville as his length, handle and fluidness generate baskets.

Creators
D'Angelo Russell (Ohio State, Rashad Vaughn (UNLV)
Very few if any players can create space for a shot or a drive to get a basket. Russell and Vaughn are two of the better guards in the country at getting their own shot. As a player moves up in levels his ability to create his own shot when a play breaks down is extremely important. Russell demonstrated a shake and wiggle in his game to elude a defender and create space with his change of speed and direction. Although he went only 1-of-9 from the field he did grab eight rebounds and dish out five assists with no turnovers in his time on the floor. When the shot clock or game clock is winding down Vaughn creates separation with his size, strength and skill as he uses his big frame to get a clean look at the rim. Both will be top scorers at the next level.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jabari Parker favored for No. 1 pick
Among 30 NBA executives, Parker is chosen over Embiid and Wiggins

It's almost assumed these days that the top overall pick in the NBA draft will come out of the Kansas program, whether it's Andrew Wiggins or freshman teammate Joel Embiid.

However, in an ESPN poll of 30 NBA executives, it was Duke's Jabari Parker who racked up more votes than both Wiggins and Embiid.

Wiggins entered the season as the consensus favorite to be the first to shake new commissioner Adam Silver's hand on June 26 at the NBA draft.

Early on I cautioned those who already had anointed Wiggins, the ultra-athletic Canadian, as the top overall pick. It didn't take long for people to realize that Parker, the Blue Devils' skilled forward, also was in the equation for the top spot. Then a third freshman, the 7-foot Embiid, thrust himself into the mix.

Embiid, a native of Cameroon, moved his way into the forefront of the conversation early in league play, a skilled big man who possessed the key words for NBA scouts: size and upside. But then came his back issues, the ones that kept him out of the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments -- and most people seemed to naturally revert back to where it all began: Wiggins.

However, after polling 30 NBA executives shortly after all three players had officially declared for the draft -- from numerous GMs to player personnel guys and NBA scouts -- you might be surprised at the results of who they would choose No. 1 overall:

Jabari Parker: 17 votes
Joel Embiid: 8 votes
Andrew Wiggins: 5 votes

Obviously, it will depend on the team and the general manager who winds up getting the No. 1 pick. Wiggins could still go with the top selection due to his high ceiling and athleticism, but many NBA folks are worried about his lack of consistency, whether he possesses a killer instinct and also whether he can get by defenders in the half court.

Most NBA guys gush at Embiid due to his size and potential -- but there's a huge lingering concern with the recent back issues. Right now many NBA executives would go with Parker because he's the safe selection, the known commodity. Sure, they might not feel he has quite the upside of Wiggins or Embiid -- but they do also see Parker as a potential perennial NBA All-Star.

In short, they trust Parker.

Milwaukee has the most ping-pong balls in the May 20 draft lottery, with Philadelphia, Orlando, Utah and Boston rounding out the top five. Team needs probably won't be much of a factor, since most, if not all of those teams, won't pass on whoever they consider to be the best player of the trio.

"This is about as close of a top three as I've seen in a long, long time," said one veteran general manager. "It really does depend on who gets the top pick and whether they are willing to take a risk or not."

"I think one GM would go with Parker, another would go with Embiid and another with Wiggins," added another. "No one knows who will go first right now."

Parker is the low-risk selection, a 6-foot-8 forward who can score in just about every way on the court. Many compare him to Carmelo Anthony, and many feel he's a sure thing at the next level because of his skill set, basketball IQ and demeanor.

Embiid has been playing basketball for just a few years, but he has made tremendous progress, and could give a franchise what has become a rarity these days in the NBA: a skilled, tough, big man who can impact the game on both ends of the court.

Wiggins is a tremendous athlete who has an improved perimeter shot, but his greatest asset comes in transition and also on the defensive end. There are several comparisons -- from Tracy McGrady to Rudy Gay to DeMar DeRozan to Corey Brewer.

Here are several comments from NBA executives on why they would take Parker, Embiid and Wiggins with the top pick:

On Parker:

"Skill, skill skill, feel and character. He is tougher than you think. A winner."

"He's the most ready to play in the league."

"Best combination of highest floor with still a high ceiling."

"He is the most NBA ready and will be a solid pro for many years, an All-Star, Olympian, etc. He can play any style."

"He's a Carmelo Anthony-type offensive player, but huge deficit defensively. Hopefully he's more into team and winning than Melo."

"I just trust him more than the other two guys."

"I'm unsure of Embiid's health and I just think Jabari has better intangibles than Wiggins."

On Embiid:

"Skilled size always has to go first. There aren't many guys that size with that potential. He has a chance to be a difference-maker at both ends."

"He changes the game with his length, athleticism and motor -- and he has a developing offensive game."

"He has an extremely high ceiling, a huge heart, great character and tremendous work ethic."

"I'm taking Embiid -- as long as his back checks out."

On Wiggins:

"He has more upside and his game will translate better in the NBA."

"He has elite athleticism -- which in the NBA to a special degree is rewarded by the rules and style of play. He has a decent skill set that he can improve on, he is a good kid and he wants to be a player. Major question for me is whether there are any killer instincts - like Jordan and Kobe."

gotta say i'm shocked by this. to me parker is clearly 4th. i'd take embiid, wiggins, and exum over him. i think he'll be good but those guys will be better.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Analyzing McShay mock: Giants

i
The NFL draft is now just two weeks away, and the New York Giants hold the No. 12 pick in the first round. In spite of a free-agent signing spree that landed them 15 new players at various positions, the Giants still have a lot of short-term and long-term needs they could address in the first round. They could plausibly pick an offensive lineman, a wide receiver, a tight end or a defensive lineman and fill a need right away.

Todd McShay's latest mock draft is out today , and he's got a brand-new name in that No. 12 slot for the Giants.

Todd is predicting the Giants take Virginia tackle Morgan Moses at No. 12. Moses currently sits at No. 13 overall and is the No. 4 rated offensive lineman on Scouts Inc.'s Big Board.

A lot of the names connected to the Giants in prior mocks -- including tight end Eric Ebron, wide receiver Mike Evans and tackle Taylor Lewan -- are gone by the time the Giants pick in this latest mock. What appears to have happened is that Todd has dropped the top quarterbacks way down in the draft, on the premise that the quarterback-needy teams at the top of the draft aren't impressed with this year's crop and might take better players in the first round and wait until the second or third to address quarterback. So guys like Ebron, Evans and Lewan move up, and in this scenario the Giants take the best available offensive lineman.

I have said this before and I will surely say it again. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with the Giants taking the best available offensive lineman in the first round. Or the second or third, for that matter. Yes, there are other needs on the roster. But there was no need more glaring in 2013 than on the offensive line. Their free-agent signings should help, but they haven't solved the long-range problem of a lack of top-level talent in the pipeline at the offensive line positions.

If Moses were ready to play right away, Justin Pugh could move inside to guard. Or Moses could. Also, having another first-round tackle to go with Pugh gives the Giants some level of insurance if Will Beatty isn't healthy in time for the season or plays poorly again.

They need more and better talent on the offensive line, and if that's what is available to them at No. 12, they should jump at it. It's the best way for the Giants to address a big-picture problem that bit them in a big way last season.