Marvel gives Fox more time w/ Daredevil in exchange 4 Silver Surfer rights!

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
The clock is ticking for 20th Century Fox to put its "Daredevil" reboot into production before character rights revert to Marvel -- but Fox chairman Tom Rothman and Marvel brass have been talking about a tradeoff that would allow the comicbook franchise to remain at Fox past its Oct. 10 deadline.
One reason for the backroom dealings: Fox is in discussions with Joe Carnahan to direct what's been described as a "Frank Miller-esque, hardcore 70s thriller" take on blind Hell's Kitchen superhero Matt Murdock -- a vision that would deviate from Disney/Marvel's family-friendly tone. Carnahan has yet to receive an official offer, though multiple sources tell Variety that he's the choice.

But Fox also has something Marvel wants.

Sources say Marvel would give Fox more time to make "Daredevil" in return for the rights to use characters from the "Fantastic Four" universe, including the giant, world-devouring supervillain Galactus, rumored to play a key role in future Marvel pics. Marvel is also eyeing future use of the Silver Surfer, who in the comicbooks brokered a deal to serve as Galactus' herald in order to save his home planet.

Fox owns rights to the Silver Surfer as part of its deal for "Fantastic Four," which the studio is also rebooting with "Chronicle" helmer Josh Trank.

At this point, the ball is said to be in Fox's court, with talks expected to resume later this week. But as of right now, Fox needs to start lensing by the Oct. 10 deadline to keep "Daredevil" in-house.

Neither Fox, Marvel nor reps for Carnahan would comment on the dealings.

David Slade was previously attached to direct the "Daredevil" reboot, which boasts a recent draft by David James Kelly. Chernin Entertainment is producing the pic.

"Daredevil" would mark a return to the Fox lot for Carnahan, who butted heads with the studio while directing "The A-Team"; the two sides appear to have worked out their differences. After the success Open Road Films had with Carnahan's Liam Neeson-starrer "The Grey," Fox quickly began developing Carnahan's actioner "Continue," which was believed to be his next project. CAA-repped helmer is also developing a fresh take on "Death Wish" for MGM.

Fox, Marvel talk swap as clock ticks on 'Daredevil' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
geez, i hope they agree to this. i want to see silver surfer so bad...

But what if they DONT agree? Doesnt that mean that Marvel gets back EVERYTHING??? If thats the case, why not stall out and let things overlap?:smugdraper:

Marvel needs to take back EVERYTHING that belongs to them, fukk all this "negotiation with terrorist" bullshyt

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
But what if they DONT agree? Doesnt that mean that Marvel gets back EVERYTHING??? If thats the case, why not stall out and let things overlap?:smugdraper:

Marvel needs to take back EVERYTHING that belongs to them, fukk all this "negotiation with terrorist" bullshyt

because they might try to make a reboot before the time runs out and ruin shyt more than they did before. then you'd have to wait even longer for a good silver surfer movie or good usage of these characters...

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
If Fox knows they are gonna get the Daredevil reboot out the door then it makes no sense for them to accept any deal on Silver Surfer, EXCEPT they don't think they'll get it started by the October 10th deadline because they are still in talks with ppl on the Daredevil project.

What i don't get is if you are Marvel why shoot low with just Silver Surfer when you could probably force all the rights for him and the Fantastic Four for a straight up renewal on the Daredevil license. Maybe Fox ain't that stupid but it seems like they are committed to the Daredevil project, and the FF movies have been a flop for them so you'd think they'd be open to it. :manny:

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
can somebody explain to me why all the Marvel characters are spread across different companies?

Daps
Reppin
thetown to global
That's crazy...How the fukk DC surviving?

If I'm not mistaken Warner Bros own all the rights to DC characters for movie purposes or something like that.

Unlike Marvel, who have their characters split and separated in different studios (sony, fox, marvel), DC got all of theirs under one.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Fox knows they are gonna get the Daredevil reboot out the door then it makes no sense for them to accept any deal on Silver Surfer, EXCEPT they don't think they'll get it started by the October 10th deadline because they are still in talks with ppl on the Daredevil project.

What i don't get is if you are Marvel why shoot low with just Silver Surfer when you could probably force all the rights for him and the Fantastic Four for a straight up renewal on the Daredevil license. Maybe Fox ain't that stupid but it seems like they are committed to the Daredevil project, and the FF movies have been a flop for them so you'd think they'd be open to it. :manny:

I wouldn't say they flopped, but the Comicbook Community weren't too big on them. Though I did like their take on Galactus.

I really want Marvel to get back as many titles as possible too. There was a rumor awhile back they were talking to Sony about sharing the Spider-Man Universe with The Marvel Movie Universe.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Marvel was close to bankruptcy a few years ago and had to sell the rights to some of their characters to stay afloat. They only got their own studio after Disney bought them.

Nah Disney bought them in 2009

Marvel studios was created in 2007

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
can somebody explain to me why all the Marvel characters are spread across different companies?

Years ago......fukk that, let's explain it better like this.

Think about if you had some products that was only big in your city, then one day you decided to go global, but didn't have the funds to really market/produce it like that. So you sold off the majority of the control of some of your prodocts to richer inversters to help push your products but in return lost some of the rights.

That's pretty much what was going on up to pre Ironman

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Years ago......fukk that, let's explain it better like this.

Think about if you had some products that was only big in your city, then one day you decided to go global, but didn't have the funds to really market/produce it like that. So you sold off the majority of the control of some of your prodocts to richer inversters to help push your products but in return lost some of the rights.

That's pretty much what was going on up to pre Ironman

Makes sense