Mandatory Resident Evil Outbreak thread

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
residentevil11.jpg

A while ago I made a thread about Outbreak coming back online, and I feel that with the release of Resident 7 aswell as the revelation that an outbreak character is referenced in said game (confirming that Outbreak is indeed a canon RE title, where as in the past it was largely ignored) and the fact that on capcoms own facebook & RE.Net site featuring more Outbreak related content, I figured it would be a good idea to start its own dedicated thread.

Resident Evil Outbreak was capcoms first attempt at an online multiplayer focused survival horror game, and was unique in the fact it was able to perfectly capture the feel of the classic resident evils [1-3] but with a unique twist. 8 different characters (4 online/3 in Singleplayer) have to survive various different scenarios during the Racc00n City Incident. Instead of being a part of a "Super Specialized Swat Team", you play as ordinary citizens of Racc00n City who are each affected by the incident in different ways and have to work together to survive the horror. Scenarios are based around locations from RE0/2/3 during different times, for instance, one is set in the Racc00n Police Department before the events of RE2, showing how the last of the surviving officers deal with the fall of the RPD and how Marvin gets injured before he succumbs to his wounds in RE2.

Here is a list of the different characters you can play as

Kevin Ryman - An officer from the same unit as Leon Kennedy. he failed the S.T.A.R.S. selection process numerous times. in the game he starts with a powerful .45 caliber pistol with limited ammo and can preform a pretty strong kick. Taking time to aim with a pistol as him will cause him to do extra damage. Due to being a cop, he knows the layout of the Police station automatically and can interact with things there that other characters cannot, including his locker.

Jim Chapman - A normal Racc00n City citizen who works in the subway. he has a special coin that can flip between heads or tails, getting heads 3 times in a row will triple the damage you do. You can also play dead in order to keep zombies from attacking you although it raises your virus gauge faster than normal. He can preform a melee weapon combo. playing as him in the lower difficulties on the subway will start him with an employee key and an automatically full map as he works there.

Mark Wilkins - A vietnam veteran who works for a security company. He starts with a handgun and can take a lot more damage than other characters. He can also block attacks to lower the damage he takes and if he has a melee weapon, he can charge up a huge swing that deals extra damage.

David King - An ex delinquent who works as a plumber, his tool belt has wrenches that can be thrown at zombies to knock them down, tape to combine objects and make new weapons, and spare parts to fix broken weapons. he has a knife combo and also starts with a utility knife.

George Hamilton - A surgeon at Racc00n City General Hospital. He carries a medical kit so that he can create new medicines and he has a really strong tackle attack. Playing as him in the hospital will give you a full map and allow you to interact with special things, same with playing as him at the university.

Yoko Suzuki - An asian american college student. due to carrying a backpack, she can carry more items than other characters (8 instead of the default 4). She has the ability to crawl away and instead of tackling like everyone else, she can only push things away due to being weak. She is a critical character in terms of the story element of the game,

Alyssa Ashcroft - A reporter for the Racc00n Press (seen in RE3). She carries a lockpick and can unlock various doors/lockers/drawers scattered around levels for rare items. she also has the ability to readjust her aim for a critical hit and can backstep to excape from danger.

Cindy Lennox - A waitress for "Jacks Bar". she has a herb pouch where she can store and mix various different herbs outside of her inventory. in the bar she can open her personal locker and has other unique interactions throughout the game. She also has the ability to duck under attacks.

You can find this game fairly cheap for PS2, usually between $5 to $10 although I recommend importing the Japanese version as that one still has the ability to play online (there is a full translation mod for both games).

US Trailer

Online Gameplay

You can find the Oubreak Server Revival boards at Obsrv.org
We also have a Discord community here

you can find guides on how to set up both online for the original PS2 version, or for an Emulator on Obsrv.org if you so choose (we do not support piracy though)

Hopefully Capcom releases an HD version or compiles both games into one for a full release on PS4/XBone :feedme:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I had a ton of fun with this game when it came out. I actually thought it was dope that it didn't need voice chat because you could just pay attention more to your partners and look out for their signals. Today that would be unacceptable but back then I enjoyed it.

Jonah

Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
I had a ton of fun with this game when it came out. I actually thought it was dope that it didn't need voice chat because you could just pay attention more to your partners and look out for their signals. Today that would be unacceptable but back then I enjoyed it.
people gave it a lot of shyt for that very reason sadly, the developer pointed out that it was a design choice (they used the example of having a yoko player being voiced by a man which ruins immersion), but you know how them casuals feel about not having voice acting in their multiplayer games :skip:

still loved the atmosphere developed around the lack of voice chat. :ahh: Makes things tense

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
This was my shyt. :wow:

Played until the file 2 servers went down, then bought file 1... and only stopped playing that, because I traded my ps2 in to get a 360. Also voice chat would just ruin this game.

Only characters I didn't like using were Mark and Yoko. Jim was the best character.

Man I really hope they bring this back. Folk have been droppin hints.. but damn I really hope they do. And add File 3 to it :wow:

Daps
game was ahead of its time and since it came out after 4 no one played it. I'd love for capcom to do an hd release to test the waters and see if people are interested in the entire series coming back. Then we could have three different series for each iteration of the franchises design (3rd person fixed cameras with outbreak, 3rd person shooter with revelations, first person horrror with the main series)

Jonah

Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
This was my shyt. :wow:

Played until the file 2 servers went down, then bought file 1... and only stopped playing that, because I traded my ps2 in to get a 360. Also voice chat would just ruin this game.

Only characters I didn't like using were Mark and Yoko. Jim was the best character.

Man I really hope they bring this back. Folk have been droppin hints.. but damn I really hope they do. And add File 3 to it :wow:

Capcom To Focus On Reviving Older Franchises In 2017

Soon :feedme:

Jonah

Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
Bump cus Interest in RE has grown since the RE2 E3 vid