MAMMI OPRAH WINFREY denied by a store. Saleswoman assumed she couldn't AFFORD to shop there.

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oprah Winfrey: Swiss store employee denied me service because I'm black

6C8571563-tdy-130809-ent-oprah.blocks_desktop_small.jpg

Getty Images file
Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah Winfrey was just named as one of the 2013 recipients of the President's Medal of Freedom. She has countless awards and is one of the world's richest women. And she's co-starring in "Lee Daniels' The Butler," a film that opens up next week. But while in Switzerland last month for Tina Turner's wedding celebration, she says she was denied service at a handbag shop, with a shop assistant telling her the bags were "too expensive" for her.

As Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight on Monday, "I was in Zurich the other day, at a store whose name I will not mention. I didn't have my eyelashes on, but I was in full Oprah Winfrey gear. I had my little Donna Karan skirt and my little sandals on. But obviously 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' is not shown in Zurich.”

She explained further that she had gone into the shop, asked to see a particular bag, and was denied by the shop assistant. When she pressed, the assistant told her "you want to see this one because that one will cost too much. You will not be able to afford that."

The bag, reported the International Business Times, cost $38,000; the store was called Trois Pommes. She left the store without making a purchase.

Winfrey insists the denial came from racism. "There's two different ways to handle it. I could've had the whole blow-up thing and thrown down the (American Express) black card, and all that stuff but why do that? But (racism) still exists, of course it does."

Blick newspaper said that the owner of the boutique has since apologized for the incident, saying it was a "misunderstanding."

This is not the first time Winfrey has been shut out by a store; in 2005 she visited a Hermes shop in Paris and was denied entry. Whether it had to do with her race or the fact that the store reportedly had just closed when she arrived depended on differing versions of events.

http://www.today.com/entertainment/...loyee-denied-me-service-because-im-6C10883523

:heh: That's what she gets for being a part of the constant portrayal of black subservience and poverty.

YouLoveMe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Miami
"She was denied service at a handbag shop, with a shop assistant telling her the bags were "too expensive" for her".

:dahell: That is BEYOND offensive. Who would say that to a customer without knowing if that customer could afford it or not? Yes it's racism. I would've made a statement if that happened to me. I would've bought that store and fired you.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
"She was denied service at a handbag shop, with a shop assistant telling her the bags were "too expensive" for her".

:dahell: That is BEYOND offensive. Who would say that to a customer without knowing if that customer could afford it or not? Yes it's racism. I would've made a statement if that happened to me. I would've bought that store and fired you.

Yep.

I'd buy the company and sell it for scrap. :pacspit:

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How you know it's racism though? Maybe she just didn't look posh because of her clothes. This is such sensational victim bullshyt. There's a million reasons why someone could turn another person down. To assume it is because of your skin color is to make yourself a victim. Oprah should know better by now..

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
I'm sorry I would have had to either whip out some credit cards or take some cash out....something than I would walk out. But then again I'm 23 and she is much older and wiser. Oh well :manny:

YouLoveMe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Miami
How you know it's racism though? Maybe she just didn't look posh because of her clothes. This is such sensational victim bullshyt. There's a million reasons why someone could turn another person down. To assume it is because of your skin color is to make yourself a victim. Oprah should know better by now..

You can't be serious....

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Oprah is not walking into a store looking busted. I see your point which you may be right but you could also be wrong

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are they wrong? She just happen to be the only black women in the world who can pay for a 38k bag. :lolbron:

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
dumb sales assistant

is it the exception or the rule, which matter? what happens when the exception rules the exception?