Lyricism is dead because it takes too long to write witty lines..these new rappers are just lazy

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
I dont blame Pac but I think he might have something to do with it...

Pac was like the first rapper to have a popular reputation for writing songs fast. And being that Pac created so many clones who wanted to be him it created this attitude that u have to write fast and not write slow and take your time. So here we are over 20 years later looking at the end result of an era where rhymes that sound like they were written in minutes is at the forefront. I think it also has to do with the fact that writing witty lines, punclines, and compounds takes forever.

writing-rap-songs.jpg

When I was a teenager I had this rhyme I recorded over the "Ill Street Blues" beat called MVP. 3 verses 16 bars each with each verse dedicated to either the NFL, NBA and the MLB. But the shyt took forever. It took me around 8 hours just to get 1 verse perfect. 3 days to finish it all together...But it came out sick. I had everything there that I knew would impress cats while spitting it in a cypher. The MLB verse had lines like:

Shoot you in front of your youngest to your older born
like Malcolm at the Audubon
Your face will reveal a RED dot like the 'on alarm'
Your style is like the bottom of a porta john
Your better off fighting a TIGER with its CUBS blood on your arm

I had to stay on topic while being witty with the compounds at the same time.

If my bread stops the lead pops
I'll curl my finger on the hair trigger to twist the top of your head like dreadlocks
Your spirit flys into the ASTROS once your head drops.
You dancing on the land mine that'll turn your WHITE SOX into RED SOX

I had this one line for football that went:

Most these dudes ain't paid dues and have a high BILL
Do 'em like Nicole BROWN then JET in a BRONCO is how I feel

writing-a-rap-chorus--32j9rv3nnbnrkvt3jla9l6.jpg

Everyone acknowledged when I spit that rhyme...I'm not tooting my own horn like that but I was pretty nice back in the day. I havent written a rhyme in years but as a teen I was always writing and I always got the thumbs up...Not on no gassed shyt. I really was nice..and I never took it serious just some hobby shyt. in 1996, when I was 18, I played this song I recorded in front of my older cousins who were into Heltah Skeltah and Bootcamp Clique heavy at the time and they were like "who is that?" and I was like "Thats me" they were like :shaq2::duck: "That aint you." I was like :mjcry: "Stop it your gassing me.

http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2Fht%2F2013%2F05%2Fj-cole-explains-evolution-of-writing-process-duality-1.jpg

In conclusion....I say all that to say this. Anytime I spit some shyt that impressed others it was something that took forever to write. like on some 8 hours just for really good 16 bars shyt. When u hear of 90's rappers and their writing process u always here about them writing there bars on paper or notebooks. I dont think I even hear rappers talking about writing their bars like that on paper or notebooks anymore. Drake reciting rhymes from his phone took shyt left. These new school kids aint trying to waste 8 hours on 16 witty bars when they can say some elementary shyt thats gonna win in 20 minutes on some 2Pac deadline type shyt.

Let me end this by also adding....I put the lyrics and the audio version of my song MVP online in like 2001.....In 2005 when GZa came out with "Queens Gambit" I was like :patrice: Not trying to imply he saw/heard my shyt ,I just figured great minds think alike. But I felt my song that I wrote as a teen was 10 X better then what the legendary Gza wrote years later all after the fact and I still stand by that.:jawalrus:

tumblr_inline_n1c0spVAjY1ruppkc.jpg

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
How is lyricism dead if Cole and K-Dot are heralded as the second coming of both Nas and Pac? :gucci:

OP you're confusing infamy with actual production. Cole dropped several albums, DAMN is Kendrick's tour de force. You're only cherry picking either, one hit wonders or less lyrical acts to justify your point.....however, it just isn't true. Lyricism will never die...obviously.

The top charting acts on the Billboard have always been vapid or even less lyrical acts. Keep in mind that Sir Mix-a lot went double platinum...rap/lyricism wasn't dead when that happened, and certainly won't be dead in this age.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
With all due respect, GZA shyt is crushing whatever you posted in the OP @Ron Fox.

And speaking of GZA, he has said on numerous occasions that it takes him days, weeks and sometimes months to craft verses. Probably why you will never hear a wack rhyme from him.

Last edited:

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Lyricism is dead because every nikka wants to follow biggie of not writing their lyrics down and say all they need is that lean:snoop:

There's been a couple rappers that worked with Biggie that said they saw him write his rhymes. He possibly started not writing down lyrics in the latter part of his short career. I think the whole phenomena of not writing down lyrics really started when Jay started saying he didn't write down rhymes every chance he could in the early 2000's and then Wayne followed suit.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I think people get lyricism confused with using a bunch of big words and metaphors and shyt. Pac was never the best MC but he was lyrical in a sense that he could get his point across using very few words. Similar to Cube and KRS One. Pac spent a lot of time in the studio but he was serious about his craft. The problem with a lot of rappers now is that even tho they spend a lot of time in the studio they don't take their pen game serious. Their goal is to put out as much music as possible becuz the landscape of the game has changed

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Lettuce not forget Jay stressing that he wasn't a rapper.
Cam - I'm a businessman I ain't trying to be lyrical.

Even lyrical rappers were downplaying lyricism.

That shyt was so wack, especially considering that it came from several rappers...like Cam and Jay...that you know were putting effort into their rhymes.