Life is fickle

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Went to a doctor's appointment today with a family member. She has cancer and they suggested palliative chemotherapy which she started last week, which was also her birthday.. she just turned 20. They spent ~10 mins covering the bases about what she should/shouldn't eat, prescriptions etc. Nearing the end of the convo he brought up life expectancy and told her the median life expectancy is ~6 months, some patients may live for up to 3-5 years, some may last 2-3 weeks/months. She kept asking him if he's ever had a patient that had a remission, to which he kept replying "anything is possible" and he can't really give her a number. It kinda fukked me up, because she asked him a few times; searching for that little glimmer of hope, but every time he answered her eyes filled up with tears, which she was trying really hard to fight.

On our way out we met this dude at the entrance(he was with us in the waiting room), and the convo kinda went like this:

Him: Hey, what were you in there for :ohhh: do you have can... :sadcam:

Her: ...Yeah, in my head and neck :yeshrug:

Him: Yeah they telling me that I have cancer in my nasal region, which i initially thought was just a sinus infection :sadbron:

Me: Damn breh :sadcam:

Him: Yeah.. I ain't trying to hear that breh, they say I'm gonna need chemo :sadbron:

Her: Yeah I just started last week, you'll be fine :obama:

Him: You sure, did they get to you on time? :ohhh:

Her: Yeah :obama:

Him: :gladbron: Thanks babygirl, have a blessed day :gladbron:

He then shook my hand and told me to give her a hug for him. What struck me was how his total demeanor changed by her giving him that little bit of hope that she was was not fortunate enough to receive just a few minutes ago :wow:

I don't even know why I made this thread, I guess I just needed to vent. Life is short though brehs. If you have family members with bridges you burned for petty shyt, just let it go. Not saying it's gonna be easy, but at the end of the day, realizing that you're gonna lose some close to you, or have already lost them is even harder to digest.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
Dapped!

That's why you have to focus on the things that DONT cost, because those are most important...Love, support, empathy, enjoying life. You can't buy these things but they mean the world if you have em...

Chase what's important friends, money and material possessions don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I bet you any amount shorty AND that dude y'all met would give their last dollar to be healthy and cancer free

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
Haha man if I get cancer I'll just end myself through the most reckless of living.

IceCold

Banned
Daps
Reppin
CA
This is very true I went to the doctors a few weeks because of numbness in my legs. They told me I have multiple sclerosis.

Guy Incognito

Homer? Who is Homer?
Daps
Damn... Only 20 years old...

How did she find out she had cancer?

Anyway the cliches are real... 'life is short, so make the most of it while you have your health'

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Damn... Only 20 years old...

How did she find out she had cancer?

Anyway the cliches are real... 'life is short, so make the most of it while you have your health'
She had a tooth ache back in late 2011, she didn't really think anything of it. Then it got really bad, so she went to her dentist. When she told him that she felt numbness in her jaw, he had her do a scan. Turns out she had a tumor that was already eating away at her mandible. She had to have her whole jaw removed. Had the surgery in summer 2012 and everything looked fine. Fast forward to may of last year where she was supposed to have her second surgery to reconstruct her jaw, but when they went back in they saw that the tumor had began to grow again. They had to remove more bone and soft tissue and sent her to do radiation. From that point shyt just went downhill really fast. Tumors started to latch on to her nerves and the base of her skull on their way to her brain. Nodes popped up in her lungs after the last scan. Seems like every time she went to a doctors appointment the news got worse :sadbron: Now she's home drugged and steroid up to help ease the nerve pain.

IceCold

Banned
Daps
Reppin
CA
Damn breh. How bad is it?
Well the numbness has spread into my hands and chest, but its no longer pronounced as it had previously had been in my legs. Some feeling is returning to my legs. I went to a acupuncturist yesterday to try alternative remedies. The thing that really gets me about multiple sclerosis is that its something that I really had no control over or even had a factor in causing.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Well the numbness has spread into my hands and chest, but its no longer pronounced as it had previously had been in my legs. Some feeling is returning to my legs. I went to a acupuncturist yesterday to try alternative remedies. The thing that really gets me about multiple sclerosis is that its something that I really had no control over or even had a factor in causing.

Catching shyt that there's no cure for is one of my greatest fears in life. I know this chick's son that was diagnosed MS a year ago. He was laid up in the hospital for a few weeks. Hope you don't get to that point breh :sadcam: You on meds?

My boy got diagnosed with ALS last year. He started to lose strength in his legs. I watched this nikka go from being super active to the point where it takes him 3 hours just to shower and get dressed in the mornings. This nikka still inststs on living by himself :snoop: He keeps falling and having to call people to come pick him up. Keep telling him it ain't safe to live alone, but he ain't tryna hear that. I gotta take this nikka grocery shopping and help him do simple shyt around the house, like take out the garbage and move shyt around etc. Now he's starting to lose strength in his hands. shyt's sad all around.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, the way I deal with the pain of losing someone close is to just not care about anyone in my life but myself. Not family, not friends. I've been hurt, painfully so, and it just isn't worth building relationships with anyone because it could end at anytime and has no real meaning or even purpose when all is said and done. Caring about people just isn't worth the toll of losing them.

I still have friends and don't act hostile towards anyone, but I emotionally disconnect myself from everyone. Been doing it for 15 years since my last dog passed. It's not worth it. :snoop: