We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
hi-res-4f854674c53fa9a05deb7a96827e26c8_crop_north.jpg

Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images

Alec NathanFeatured ColumnistMarch 3, 2017

Los Angeles Lakers president Jeanie Buss sought a temporary restraining order Friday against her brothers, Jim and Johnny, after they attempted to "oust her as the Lakers president and controlling owner," according to the Los Angeles Times'Nathan Fenno and Bill Plaschke.

Jim and Johnny reportedly attempted to hold a meeting scheduled for next week to elect a new board of directors that didn't include their sister, since she needs to maintain a seat on the board in order to operate as the team's controlling owner.

ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne shed more light on the brothers' actions:

However, attorney Adam Streisand told Fenno and Plaschke that Jim and Johnny don't have the legal means to pull off such a maneuver.

"This is no doubt the beginning and not the end of the game-playing," Streisand said. "They don’t have a legal leg to stand on. This is a legal strategy doomed for failure."

According to Fenno and Plaschke, Jim and Johnny responded to the restraining order request by canceling their meeting.

Following the death of their father, Jerry Buss, the Buss siblings followed the family trust, which called for Jeanie to take over as the Lakers' governor and head of business operations and Jim to serve as the head of basketball operations, per ESPN.com's Arash Markazi.

But according to Jeanie's court filings obtained by the Los Angeles Daily News, Johnny "with the active participation of (brother) Jim breached the express terms of the trust that require them to take all actions reasonably available to them to ensure that (Jeanie) remains the controlling owner of the Lakers."

News of the attempt to oust Jeanie comes on the heels of her decision to fire general manager Mitch Kupchak and strip Jim of his front office responsibilities.

The shakeup also saw Jeanie hire Magic Johnson as the team's new president of basketball operations.

Since then, Johnson has reportedly selected agent Rob Pelinka to join the front office as the Lakers' new general manager, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Jeanie Buss Sought Restraining Order Against Brothers to Keep Lakers Control

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Lol god damn shame the Lakers are the worst team in Cali.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I knew this was going to happen......

The way Jeanie and Magic went about this made it inevitable. You can't go on a fukking television tour for a week talking about how a part owner sucks and how you're going to fire them from their job and not expect some sort of reprisal. All the shyt that Magic and Jeanie did a few weeks back could have been done behind the scenes in a far less messy way, but they HAD to make a big spectacle about it. I'm not shocked and I really can't blame Jim for doing what he did. What Jeanie and Magic needed to be done, but HOW they did it was fukked up and unnecessary.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they need to just take their L and keep it moving. whats the point of owning/controlling the team when you suck and your entire fanbase literally hates you?:francis:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they need to just take their L and keep it moving. whats the point of owning/controlling the team when you suck and your entire fanbase literally hates you?:francis:

Despite all the talk from haters about Lakers fans being fair weather fans, the fanbase has prove they'll support the team through thick and thin. That support has resulted in the team being the second most valuable in the league and them signing multi billion dollar tv deals. The team is valuable and the other brothers want to make sure they stay in control.

Their egos are bruised, which as I said before I get. Jeanie and Magic went on a "fukk Jim Buss" tour for an entire weak and fired dude in an incredibly public and disrespectful way.