IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'd say A+ is worth it if you don't have a degree or experience. If you do, I'd go for higher certs.

But I think degrees are underrated. Not even necessarily saying a bachelors, just something. Most helpdesk jobs I see want at least an AS in something IT related. At the job I work not (as well as my last one) they weren't even interviewing people that didn't at least have an AS in something. It's just an arbitrary way to filter out resumes.

It depends on what kind of entry level help desk job it is.

Most big companies with over 1000 users are running virtualized environment with a mixture of VMWare and/or Hyper-V and Citrix.

Getting your foot in the door and learning those technologies I would start by getting your MCP.

A+ jobs seem to only work for Brick and Mortar places. Outside of that companies do not value A+ and Network+ certs at all.

Dude, we're talking about helpdesk positions, not Sys Admin. Nobody is expecting entry level people who take phone calls to be experts on Virtualization.

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
I'd say A+ is worth it if you don't have a degree or experience. If you do, I'd go for higher certs.

But I think degrees are underrated. Not even necessarily saying a bachelors, just something. Most helpdesk jobs I see want at least an AS in something IT related. At the job I work not (as well as my last one) they weren't even interviewing people that didn't at least have an AS in something. It's just an arbitrary way to filter out resumes.

Dude, we're talking about helpdesk positions, not Sys Admin. Nobody is expecting entry level people who take phone calls to be experts on Virtualization.

Trust me I know exactly what I am talking about.

I've been in this business for 13 years and work as a Virtualization Architect and SAN storage among others.

Helpdesk positions at medium to large corporations do not value these low level certs that you all are talking about.

My recommendation is an MCP to start off and you can build up to get your MCSE from there. That can lead to other technologies that they will eventually learn.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Trust me I know exactly what I am talking about.

I've been in this business for 13 years and work as a Virtualization Architect and SAN storage among others.

Helpdesk positions at medium to large corporations do not value these low level certs that you all are talking about.

My recommendation is an MCP to start off and you can build up to get your MCSE from there. That can lead to other technologies that they will eventually learn.

ahh I dunno......MCP is not bad( I have the win XP one ), but about 70% of the stuff in there you may never use( who actually uses remote assistance? ). From my experience when working in a large company you tend to deal with a lot of 3rd party solutions.

The A+ shouldn't take anyone more than 2 months at best anyway. Plus when I was starting out I was looking for *ANY* experience even if that meant Geek Squad. Its kind of hard to pick and choose when starting out. I mean you should get it for the knowledge alone.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk

What about a degree in something unrelated? Are they filtering for people with computer knowledge or just people w/a legitimate technical background? I have a mechanical engineering bachelors

Also is it worth going back to school for a masters? UNC has a stupid cheap in state graduate program, and they have some IT masters paths that don't require CS backgrounds. Im debating what to do. Right now I am just trying to get anything and get this A+ out of the way.

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
ahh I dunno......MCP is not bad( I have the win XP one ), but about 70% of the stuff in there you may never use( who actually uses remote assistance? ). From my experience when working in a large company you tend to deal with a lot of 3rd party solutions.

The A+ shouldn't take anyone more than 2 months at best anyway. Plus when I was starting out I was looking for *ANY* experience even if that meant Geek Squad. Its kind of hard to pick and choose when starting out. I mean you should get it for the knowledge alone.

Microsoft has changed there testing criteria quite a bit since Windows XP.

You will find when taking a Windows 7 or Windows 8 exam being very challenging unless you use and troubleshoot these operating systems on a daily basis.

Most of these standardized certifications have proprietary solutions that you would only see or use during an actual test. In the real world you would still need to know basic troubleshooting of an OS, domain users, active directory etc.

3rd party solutions you speak of are most likely applications coded by developers who probably use some sort of SQL or ETL database on the backend and i'm pretty sure they will need an OS and/or Hypervisor to run these apps on in which the Helpdesk is the first line of defense to troubleshoot or facilitate these situations.

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
What about a degree in something unrelated? Are they filtering for people with computer knowledge or just people w/a legitimate technical background? I have a mechanical engineering bachelors

Also is it worth going back to school for a masters? UNC has a stupid cheap in state graduate program, and they have some IT masters paths that don't require CS backgrounds. Im debating what to do. Right now I am just trying to get anything and get this A+ out of the way.

Most of these jobs will substitute a degree for experience.

AS degree and/or 2 years experience
BS degree and/or 4 years experience etc

Your degree does not have to be in Computer Science or related however, a technical background that you worked before will help and having atleast one of these entry level certs like and A+ will get you a call back.

But as I said before getting your MCP which is still en entry level cert in Microsoft will for sure get you immediate feedback from job creators.

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
is it an issue if you get both certs? how can someone just jump into getting an MCP without any knowledge of IT?

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
is it an issue if you get both certs? how can someone just jump into getting an MCP without any knowledge of IT?

Its an entry level Microsoft certification. So there really isn't a pre-requisite besides studying the exam questions and lab work etc.

Getting both the A+ and MCP should be no problem. In fact I recommend it. The more you learn the more you know.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Hey guys...

I am wondering about and choosing between getting an AS in Computer Programming or just a certification in Computer Programming. Will there be a big difference in the jobs I will be able to get? Would the certificate be enough, or should I go for the AS?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Hey guys...

I am wondering about and choosing between getting an AS in Computer Programming or just a certification in Computer Programming. Will there be a big difference in the jobs I will be able to get? Would the certificate be enough, or should I go for the AS?

You're probably better off with the AS. Programming is mostly about experience. The projects you've done, the languages you've worked with, and how long you've been doing it are valued far more than any certification. I doubt employers will care about any programming cert.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
You're probably better off with the AS. Programming is mostly about experience. The projects you've done, the languages you've worked with, and how long you've been doing it are valued far more than any certification. I doubt employers will care about any programming cert.

Ok thanks. I already have my bachelors, but its not in a computer related field..does that make a difference? Based on the matriculation schedules of both, the main difference in the AS compared to the Cert is primarily gen eds..but I guess a prospective employer wouldnt see that would they? Would Network Administration be a better option than programming?

Thanks again.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Ok thanks. I already have my bachelors, but its not in a computer related field..does that make a difference? Based on the matriculation schedules of both, the main difference in the AS compared to the Cert is primarily gen eds..but I guess a prospective employer wouldnt see that would they? Would Network Administration be a better option than programming?

Thanks again.

Programming and Networking are two completely different beasts. FreshFromATL has some good getting started links for programming(you're going to have to search this thread). You can find some nice entry level it videos at Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training. Take a look at both and try to get a feel for what interests you more. You gotta love it, if not then don't waste your time.

I think I'll just add some of these links to my sig.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Programming and Networking are two completely different beasts. FreshFromATL has some good getting started links for programming(you're going to have to search this thread). You can find some nice entry level it videos at Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training. Take a look at both and try to get a feel for what interests you more. You gotta love it, if not then don't waste your time.

I think I'll just add some of these links to my sig.

Thanks man. I gotta take some time to evaluate everything.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Thanks again.

Well, do you want to write code, or setup and maintain computer networks? They're two VERY different types of jobs. I'd say think about what you'd prefer to do from day-to-day.

My own IT department is divided into three sections - Business Analysts (they do testing, training, business requirements, etc.), System Analysts (they do programming of in-house apps, database maintenance, bug fixes) and Network & Support (managing the network and supporting end-users). What we do day-to-day is completely different. So you may want to think about what type of job appeals to you more.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Well, do you want to write code, or setup and maintain computer networks? They're two VERY different types of jobs. I'd say think about what you'd prefer to do from day-to-day.

My own IT department is divided into three sections - Business Analysts (they do testing, training, business requirements, etc.), System Analysts (they do programming of in-house apps, database maintenance, bug fixes) and Network & Support (managing the network and supporting end-users). What we do day-to-day is completely different. So you may want to think about what type of job appeals to you more.

Im a complete novice to both fields, and am essentially doing it for job potential...Im not even sure what Id prefer doing at this point, and am mainly looking at it from an entry level job perspective..the programming cert Im looking at only really has java and c++ so it seems as though Id have to get an additional cert after that to get where i want to be...is that accurate?