Is the PG position really worth a max contract?

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
PGs that have max contracts -

John Wall
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Gilbert Arenas (:russ:)
Russell Westbrook
Chris Paul

And while he's not making max Ty Lawson is around $13 million a year, which is insane imo, dude doesn't have the impact on the game to deserve that. You can make the case that Steph Curry is the best PG in the league right now, and he's got a 4 year $44 million contract, which is great value for a player putting up 23/9 but as good as he is I still wouldn't want to max him out when the time comes because of those creaky ankles.

I don't know, if I were a GM I would never give a PG a max contract, not unless they are one of those rare 6'5"+ dudes that can get their shot off anytime they want. All of these great guards and the best PG to win a title in the last 10 years was Tony Parker, and when he did it he wasn't a max player, which allowed the Spurs to spend money on more important positions. I'm to the point where I wouldn't even build a team around one if it meant giving them a max contract, seems like such a waste of caproom when you can spend that on a swing or a big man. And these dudes were overpaid as fukk up until last summer, I mean George Hill/Ty Lawson are making more than Teague, Lowry & Jennings when they are all pretty much the same player and have a similar impact on the game.

The last 20 champs had these PGs starting -
Chalmers x 2
Kidd
Fisher x 2
Rondo
Parker
J. Williams
Parker
Billups
Parker
Fisher
Brian Shaw/Fisher
Ron Harper
Avery Johnson
Ron Harper X 3
Kenny Smith x 2

:merchant: The vast majority of these teams started PGs that weren't even top 5 in the league, shyt some aren't even top 15. The position just doesn't have the impact like that, maybe it will in the future with all these 6'4"+ converted SGs starting to take over the position, but that ball dominating style Chris Paul plays will not get it done if he's your max/best player on the team. If you told me to pick between Jeff Teague at $8 million a year, or Chris Paul at $18 million....I'm taking Teague :manny:

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I agree

if you look even closer

miami chalmers/norris cole
lakers had a combo of fisher/shaw/farmar

chris paul has never been out of the first round

and even jason kidd was a washued up 35% shooter back there

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Dominant bigs and tall versatile wing players win titles. Not 6 foot nothing PG's

It just looks like all you need at the PG spot is someone that can negate and defend the other teams PG, hit some threes and get into the lane once in a while.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
yeah, I remember you brought this up months ago and I agreed then and i agree now. There is not a point guard in this league that deserves a max contract, especially with the new rules that cater to them.

Point guards are about to become the new running back.

No homer, but the only one I think has a chance to be worth it is Wall because he falls in line with one of those "freak" guards he not but even he not there right now.

Last edited:

dunkman6

All Star
Daps
AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE A DOPE TEAM TO WIN A TITLE.
HOW MANY CHIPS DID BRON HAVE BEFORE FORMING A SUPER TEAM?
YOU CAN REPLACE HIM WITH A PRIME ROSE/WESTBROOK/PAUL
AND THEY STILL WIN TITLES.

OUTSIDE OF JORDAN/HAKEEM/SHAQ/DUNCAN & DIRK THAT ONE YEAR
THOSE 3 PGS COULD SWAP WITH ANY OF THE OTHER FINALS MVPS OF THE LAST 20 CHAMPS
AND WIN TITLES.
:devil:
:evil:
Let that hurt go.

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
But a lot has to do with what the market is for these players. You can play hardball but if I have a pg like Westbrook testing free agency and some team offers him the max, my hand is being force. I'm sure a lot of GMs would prefer not to pay the max for some of these PG but they can't control the market

Yogi

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

AND WIN TITLES.
You crazy as hell if you think the Heat would win a title if they had Rose, Westbrook, or Paul instead of Lebron. That's just a ridiculous argument.

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
You crazy as hell if you think the Heat would win a title if they had Rose, Westbrook, or Paul instead of Lebron. That's just a ridiculous argument.
They would definitely win with a healthy Rose. Maybe Westbrook but idk about Paul, he doesn't scream champion to me, even if he did have elite talent around him.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Unless that PG has a skillset akin to a prime Kidd, Westbrook, or maybe Wall....then I don't see a max....People think that the league is saturated with good PGs now, when in reality, the rules and change in defenses and lack of quality bigs and swing men just makes the position easier to play right now

Last edited:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin

AND WIN TITLES.

Are Rose/Westbrook/Paul going to make up his rebounding? He's been the Heats best rebounder during the playoffs the last 2 years.

They don't impact the game the same way and their efficiency drops off the map during the playoffs, those shots they hit during the regular season are much more difficult to hit during the playoffs. The Heat cannot withstand Rose/Westbrook shooting 42% in the playoffs, or CP3's reluctance to shoot and inablilty to get his own shots in the playoffs.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps

AND WIN TITLES.

The 2008 Celtics woulda won a title with a lineup of:

C Perkins
PF Garnett
SF Ray Allen
SG Rose/Westbrook/Paul
PG Rondo
:what:?

2009 Lakers woulda won with:

C Bynum
PF Gasol
SF Ariza
SG Rose/Westbrook/Paul
PG Fisher
:patrice:?

2010 Lakers woulda won with:
C Bynum
PF Gasol
SF Artest
SG Rose/Westbrook/Paul
PG Fisher
:wtf:?

:camby:

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It just looks like all you need at the PG spot is someone that can negate and defend the other teams PG, hit some threes and get into the lane once in a while.

If I have prime Kobe or current lebron who can handle the playmaking duties... Why do I need a great PG? I can win with rio chalmers or fisher :yeshrug:

Same thing with he bulls In the 90's.