Is saying BRUH African American slang?

Robo Squirrel

CEO @ Squirrel Burger: Fish & Chips
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Francisco, CA
Just like when I see a bunch of mfs who aint black calling each other nikka. :dahell:

I hear BRUH this BRUH that and not a BLACK person in the conversation.

I just look at them like :gucci:.

Am i wrong because im honestly confused.

Something just goes off in my head like you need to stop with all of that.

Last edited:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just like when I see a bunch of mfs who aint black calling each other nikka :dahell:

I hear BRUH this BRUH that and not a black person in the conversation.

I just look at them like :gucci:.

Am i wrong because im honestly confused.

You're confused that whites copy everything from us?

But yes, bruh is an AA thing.
Shoutout to my Omega bruhz :myman:

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Bruh, Breh, Bro, etc... are all shortened variations of the term Brother, which was popularized in the late 60's, early 70s during the black power movements.

The term had a resurgence in the form of "bro" during the 80's. This is mostly due in part to the Caucasian frat culture of that era.

Fast forward to the late 80's, early 90's, and black people reclaimed the word as our own with the pro black rap era. Brother had made a come back.

But it wasn't until the great Philosopher Plies, with his linguistic mastery, coined the term "Bruh Bruh" circa 2009 that really spearheaded the reintroduction to the term.

The debate over the prerequisites required to use the term Bruh rages on until this day. One would be inclined to visit TheCoil to stay abreast of the evolution of this term.

:mjlol:

Robo Squirrel

CEO @ Squirrel Burger: Fish & Chips
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Francisco, CA
Bruh, Breh, Bro, etc... are all shortened variations of the term Brother, which was popularized in the late 60's, early 70s during the black power movements.

The term had a resurgence in the form of "bro" during the 80's. This is mostly due in part to the Caucasian frat culture of that era.

Fast forward to the late 80's, early 90's, and black people reclaimed the word as our own with the pro black rap era. Brother had made a come back.

But it wasn't until the great Philosopher Plies, with his linguistic mastery, coined the term "Bruh Bruh" circa 2009 that really spearheaded the reintroduction to the term.

The debate over the prerequisites required to use the term Bruh rages on until this day. One would be inclined to visit TheCoil to stay abreast of the evolution of this term.

This nia just took me to school.:russ:
The great philosopher Plies
:mjcry::yeshrug::blessed::dead::dead::dead:

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue
In the 60s and 70s every black man was calling each other "brother". "my brother". "soul brother":blessed:

White people, like always, saw this and jealously made their corny jokes..." Well you must all be related because you all call each other brother and look alike":smugfavre:

c00ns ran with this too, "im not your brother, we should stop calling each other brother":tommy:

Cacs then started calling each other "bro" which is just "bro---ther " with the first 3 letters only .(like these non-creative, lazy ass cacs do) :ld:

Obviously we needed to retake our slang, but didnt want to say "bro" because that shyte sounds corny, so bruh and breh seems like the newage "brother man":obama:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Yes, it originated among african-americans. Lets not forget the most prolific bruh of all, Bruh-man from the TV series Martin which premiered in 1992.

latest

Last edited:
Daps

Nah piles didn't coin shyt, I grew up in Tampa Florida and we been saying bih, bruh, breh, bress, and bruh bruh for the longest, before plies started saying it on track. He's from ft Meyers but claimed Tampa, went to college in tampa, and stayed with tampa brehs. I remember when I first moved to Miami, I used to say bruh, breh or bih at the end of each sentence and cats used to look at me like wtf lolll

With social media around, no slang is regional now a days. Crazy when I hear ppl from up north say bruh lol.

But it is a AA southern slang.