Is it widely known that Hip Hop/Rap was born in Jamaica?

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DJ Kool Herc "invented" hip hop music/ rap. He was born in Jamaica

Hip Hop/ Rap was born in Jamaica.

Jamaica didn't get its first recording studio until 1950s, and even then it was used solely for middle class white people music. So sound systems would travel around Jamaica, each sound system had it's own DJ who would play records and spit bars (toast) over them, this eventually became an art in itself.

Toasting is rhyming in patterns, the toasting became popular amongst poor people considering they didn't have access to DJing equipment. Ghetto people mastered their lyrics, soon enough the DJ had to give up the mic to a real MC, DJ Kool Herc saw this growing up and took it to America when he emigrated.

Grandmaster Flash was born in Barbados in the Caribbean, he started DJing due to his obsession with his dads record collection which consisted of this Jamaican DJing.

In the 60s-70s Toasting evolved, DJs started making gangster orientated rhymes and going by names like Dillinger and Dennis Alcapone.

This is the story of Rap.

You can tell by the views that this is some obscure shyt.

sound-system-photo.jpg

sound-system.jpg

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
Most people know that. The rhythmic aspect of rhyming over instrumentals too. That's where battling comes from.

This is quite common knowledge though - I grew up in a family that played reggae and dub very often so it's easy to see where the influences come from.

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
Here we go again huh? LOL. He didn't, I showed you on the other thread he didn't but you wanted to run off, make a new thread to play these games. I don't know how you can write out decades of artists and claim one person invented a music form with roots going back to jazz, blues, scat, r&b/soul, written word, that coalesced into what it is today? But I guess all those people were Jamaicans to right? :russ: We going to have to do this again? :comeon:

Here comes the judge 1968 (funny...sounds just like early 80s hiphop)
Who got the number? 1969

Markham was born in Durham, NC April 18, 1904; died December 13, 1981 Bronx, NY (coincidence?)

However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is
James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".
  1. "Hip Hop: The Illustrated History of Break Dancing, Rap Music, and Graffiti", by Steven Hager, 1984, St Martin's Press, p.45

Hustler's Convention 1973

James Brown 1959

Louis Armstrong from movie "New Orleans" 1947- Since you wanted to take it back to see "rapping" (rhyming).

So let's see. Herc came to the Bronx in 1967. A year before Markhams's "Here comes the Judge" in 1968 is on wax. Then the "creator" of rap claims it's James Brown was his inspiration for RAP. Who was doing that easily in 1959. Hustler's Convention came out in 1973. Louis Armstrong was doing it back in 1947! Other groups as well.

Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[42] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[40]

Creator-a person or thing that creates.
Creates-to evolve from one's own thought or imagination ,as a work of art or an invention.
Catalyst-a person or thing that precipitates an event or change.

So he DIDN'T CREATE RAP which I've shown you twice now! Nor did it come from his imagination. People were RAPPING before he was even born 1955. How did he create something before he was even created? So people claim he invented something, then he states was inspired by JAMES BROWN and Hustler's Convention? He didn't create rap. Period.

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
i was talking to the op, i agree with you lol

hip hop was not born in Jamaica but there are lots of Jamaican influences

My bad. I went back and forth with him earlier in another thread, that's why he made this one. I pulled out the same evidence but he wasn't trying to hear it.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People believe this lie for two reasons.

1-They have a dislike of America or Black Americans so they don't like to give us credit.

2-They saw a clip on TV, saw herc was from Jamaica, and just repeat shyt without thinking about it. Once you study the time hip hop was born, you can see what we were told is pure bullshyt, and used to make money.