Is 4K tv a good buy

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I bought a Sony X85c and I'm glad I did. The smart features make it worth it.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Depends on what you do with your TV.

If you are a heavy Blu-Ray watcher or have a lot of money invested in a nice gaming PC?...yeah it might be worth it.

Over the air Teevee? Playing on XBOX Won or PS4? Not necessary right now and might not be for the next 4-5 years.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Depends on what you do with your TV.

If you are a heavy Blu-Ray watcher or have a lot of money invested in a nice gaming PC?...yeah it might be worth it.

Over the air Teevee? Playing on XBOX Won or PS4? Not necessary right now and might not be for the next 4-5 years.
:francis: As much as 4K has been pushed at CES the last few years, I don't think Hollywood is on board. Whenever I look up tech specs for movies on IMDB, I notice most movies nowadays ARE NOT being Mastered (or even shot) in 4K.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:francis: As much as 4K has been pushed at CES the last few years, I don't think Hollywood is on board. Whenever I look up tech specs for movies on IMDB, I notice most movies nowadays ARE NOT being Mastered (or even shot) in 4K.
I only mentioned Blu-Ray because the quality is unmatched and we should start seeing more movies take advantage of that...I would assume that Blu-Ray would be the first to consistently get ultra crisp 4K.

Whenever I see that Netflix and all these other places are streaming at 4K I just go :mjlol: the quality is nowhere near the level I need it to be to justify swapping out my 2 sets for 4K.

4K right now is useful to nuts like @Ciggavelli and people who need a large desktop view when having multiple files going on their PC/Mac. Even gaming in 4K is a massive investment and are realistically 2-3 years away from it being affordable to the average gamer.

Who knows if the majority of over the air tv will ever be broadcasted in 4K. That's a dying model already...I could possibly see it coming after everything else, but with so many people cutting the cord it might not even be the focus of those buying a monitor by the time it reaches that point :yeshrug: